“Good food, music and service”

Chill Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Chill Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chill is so much more than just a beach restaurant with amazing food... we offer Saturday & Sunday brunch buffet AND a full menu, Monday night all you can eat seafood buffet including crab legs :) with full menu ($27.95) Chill offers live music, Carl's Piano Bar Thurs Fri & Sat beginning at 6:30. Wed night is Skyway Jazz on our outdoor patio. We offer small plates and full entrees, plenty of GF, vegetarian and vegan choices as well as a full espresso bar and liquor with expert craft cocktails. We have a private party room that accommodates up to 50 guests, expert service staff and as of 11/2016 a new management team 100% focused entirely on guest experience. We invite you to the new Chill, relocated from the original Gulf Blvd spot into beautiful downtown St. Pete Beach in the heart of our little downtown shopping district. See you soon :)
Pittsburgh
“Good food, music and service”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I typically enjoy any place where I can sit and watch my meal being prepared and this was no exception. There are at least eight seats available around the cooking area and if you can reserve one, please do. Started off the evening with a bottle of wine that was priced in the $35.00 area. Could not resist the Goat cheese Tapenade terrine constructed in front of us, and based on the numbers made, it is a best seller. Beef filet with crab and blue cheese was great. The meat was done medium rare as ordered, but the cheese did overpower the crab. (so what's wrong with just blue cheese and steak?) We were eating early and to our surprise the chef had the time to prepare a little dish of ratatouille over spaghetti squash for my wife and I. And when you are in Florida, you should try the grouper which we did with a macadamian crust. Excellent. So there we are at the end of the meal with a quarter bottle of red wine left. Only logical course of action is to order red, a brownie baked in cocoa bread pudding served with sauce and ice cream. The entire time there was music that was pleasant to just listen to, but never so obtrusive, you could not speak to each other. Service was excellent. There is a coffee shop next door and you find the website for both at Steamandchill.com. The menu should entice you to give it a try.

Dayton, Ohio
“Chill still meets and exceeds expectations”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Almost a year later of visiting and the chill does not disappoint. Great food wonderful atmosphere and excellent service. It's nice to see a resturaunt maintain a high level of standards year after year. The food is excellent full of flavor and excitement. If you have not experienced the chill you are missing out.

Gulfport, Florida
“Watch your wallet”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I live nearby and have often gone to Chill. The food is good, the atmosphere pleasant, the service OK, and sometimes there is music. How unfortunate and unexplainable then the owners avarice. Last week, while we were perusing the menu, the waiter waxed eloquently about a new wine, a blended California wine. After having a taste, we ordered a bottle. Understand that entree's run in the $12 to $18 range and wines on the list from the $20 somethings to $40 something in general. Imagine my surprise when the bill came and and the wine was $120. If the wine had been anything like a wine that expensive, I might might not have said anything, but it was nowhere as good as the price would suggest.

After talking with manager, they reluctantly agreed to reduce the price to $60 with the explanation that the waiter was new and should have mentioned the price of the wine, and adding that customers had been requesting more expensive wines. I was not entirely convinced but would have let the matter drop. A few hours later I mentioned the episode to another local without mentioning the restaurant. He immediately said, oh, you must mean Chill, they do that all the time.
I checked the local wine store which stocks over 1,000 wines. They had 21 blended CA wines, none over $15. The owner admitted that there were more expensive ones but he could not think of any.

• Visited January 2013
Ruthie B, Owner at Chill Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I was just overwhelmingly dissapointed to find out what happened to you the night of this awful occurence. Your server was way out of line, not giving you full price disclosure. This is NOT our business practice at all. The wine list varies in cost, yes... but none as high as the Solare. We made a special purchase and have been repeatedly asked to carry a few high end wines. We are constantly trying new wines, and replacing ones that are not working out. There is NO intent to confuse or to mislead. Lack of training of your server, absolutely. I take full responsibility.
We do offer a 'corkage' if you would like to bring your own wine, and have many who take advantage of this policy.
Your experience brought our team into a serious meeting about the importance of disclosure of 'feature' wines and daily specials. Your review serves as a reminder to us of our needed improvement.
We all work very hard to please, not to disappoint. And, CERTAINLY not to be unfair.
The only objection I had to your review was the 'avarice.' That is Soooooo Not me. Honest.
I am terribly sorry.
Ruthie
Queenstown, New Zealand
“A Particularly Bad Experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Ate here with my wife on the recommendation of a friend. Came in for brunch on January 6th, 2013 at 10AM. We were seated quickly. Finding someone to wait on us was more of an issue than we would have expected. When our server Paul W. finally arrived he was short menus and coffee but he had a plethora of attitude. We ordered coffees while we went over the brunch menus. 20 minutes later he came back to the table to let us know that they had run out of coffee but were brewing a fresh batch. Surprising news given that the restaurant operates a coffee bar called 'Steam' which is adjacent to the dining area. 20 minutes later he returned with our coffee and took our orders. Brunch items are priced between $9 and $15. Eggs Benedict, Crepes, Eggs and Pancakes, Omelets. Standard fare. My wife had the crepes with tomato, spinach and goat cheese. I ordered the French Toast.

Another 30 minutes elapsed before the food arrived. By that time I had forgotten what I had ordered. My wife found the crepes to be OK though she left her plate half uneaten. The French Toast turned out to be a piece of French bread sliced lengthwise and momentarily bathed in an egg wash. The wash never made it past the bread's crust. The end result was dry, chewy and tasteless. When Paul the waiter made it back to the table and asked me how my food was I was politely candid about the restaurant's poor showing. A point made obvious by the fact that I had only eaten half of one of the five pieces. He gave me a dumbfounded look and scurried off never to be seen again until he brought the bill with the charge for the French Toast firmly in place.

Mens room smelled of urine. Urinal would not flush. Suspicious puddles under urinal. Waste basket needed to be emptied.

I was surprised by the lack of concern exhibited by the staff after being given a direct complaint. I can only assume that the restaurant is dependent on one time visitors. Of which I am most assuredly the latest member.

1 Thank Michael R
“Three Meals w/ mostly great food, service, & atmosphere -- needs to work on consistency!!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family & I came here 3 times during our vacation to St. Pete's. It's a family owned restaurant that seemed relatively new. It was great, absolutely worth the revisits, but lunch & dessert were definitely better & more affordable than brunch.

Lunch:

Steak n eggs, 4 stars
Caprese omelette, 3 stars
Savory crepes w/ spinach & cheese, 4 stars
Egg nog French Toast, :c 1 or 2 stars

Our first experience was on a Friday for a late lunch from around 2 to 4. John was our cook @ the open kitchen & Gilbert was our very entertaining & attentive waiter. I had a pretty decent dirty chai latte from the attached coffee bar, Steam. My mom & I both ordered the she-crab soup -- magnificent. We're from the D.C. area & we've had a good deal of blue crab, but we agreed this was easily one of the best she-crabs we've had -- creamy & topped with a sumptuous sherry reduction that was just the right amount of sweet. After this great starter we invited my dad & brother to join us. They ordered the Mediterranean Lemon Chicken Panini & the Shrimp n Grits, & we also had the Caprese Salad. All three were delicious. The panini was not pressed like traditional paninis & a little oily on the outside, but still got rave reviews from my dad. According to my brother, "the shrimp n grits tasted as if God himself had sent an Angelic chef to the restaurant and proceeded to pour 2000 years worth of human anguish into the saucepan, to emerge transformed into love and acceptance out of the hellish fires of the kitchen and onto the warm embrace of my bowl." The shrimp n grits were served cajun style with plenty of Andouille sausage, thick with cheese, a fair amount of shrimp, and topped with fried egg -- very distinctive! & our beautifully plated Caprese salad was hearty & refreshing even though tomatoes aren't at their peak in the winter season. The fresh mozzarella was soft & the balsamic vinegarette just right. We were even still there while they were trying to close up the kitchen but the staff, especially Gilbert, was SO NICE.

After a disappointing dinner on Saturday at a restaurant in John's Pass, we came back to Chill to fill my brother's stomach & to get dessert around 8 pm. There was live jazz & a warm, but a little dark, ambiance. It was much busier this time but the waits were not terribly long, and John, who had been cooking on Friday, was our friendly & attentive server. The young, blonde, & chipper hostess whose name I didn't catch also came to chat with us several times during the meal. EVERYTHING was amazing during this experience. My brother's chicken pot pie was wonderfully seasoned and fabulously savory -- no shortage of perfectly cooked mushrooms & carrots in the gravy along with tender chicken on a flaky pastry base. Yum! But the desserts were just to die for!!! The Red was unlike anything we'd ever had -- spongy, thick, WARM, but not too sweet, & topped with a fantastic &, I assume, homemade vanilla ice cream. FANTASTIC. My dad's flourless chocolate waffle was also AMAZING, but not exactly what it sounds like -- it's more like a fluffy chocolate cake that tastes like mousse & drizzled with an awesome chocolate sauce. These were both plated GORGEOUSLY. Very impressive. Even the flan was above average, perfectly textured & topped with a light & fluffy homemade whipped cream. We were also awed by the bananas foster, with plenty of lightly encrusted bananas & the same delicious ice cream from the Red plate. I only wish it had been flambeed at the table!

After two fabulous experiences at Chill, the brunch we had on Sunday was a bit disappointing. My parents invited local friends to dine with us, & they ordered the French Toast & savory Crepes with Spinach & cheese (I forget what kind). The crepes were quite good but the French Toast was reportedly dry. (I think the couple will write their own review, so I'll leave the rest to them!) The wait staff was not as friendly or attentive as before. Granted, the restaurant was busy but not packed. Our waiter was apologetic about running out of coffee but neglected us at other times. My mom's Caprese omelette was average, with eggplant chips that were original & yummy but regretfully not warm. My dad & I very much enjoyed our Blue Crab & Eggs Benedict, although the Hollandaise sauce was not particularly unique. My brother also liked his steak n eggs. The live music was pleasant as well, but overall this was not our best experience. Disappointing because my parents were looking forward to bringing their friends.

Nevertheless, Chill is definitely worth another look! It stands out from the other places in St. Pete & most beaches, which are mostly fish shacks with their own type of charm. Chill is eclectic, values the aesthetic, the unique, & their real relationships with customers. I hope they'll be able to iron out the kinks in the system!

Other restaurants visited in the St Pete's area: Crabby Bill's, PJ's Seafood, Waltz Fish Shak