“Had a great stay!”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Had a great stay!”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed 4 nights on the 4th floor. The view was spectacular! My husband and I spent every night with the balcony doors open looking at the beach and sunset. The sand at the beach was like powdered sugar, which our 3 year old loved to play in. The bed in the bedroom was very comfy, and surprisingly so was the bed in the pull out couch in the living room. Ok, so the suite was a little outdated, but we barely even cared because we were there to enjoy sun & ocean! It's what I would expect for a beach front rental! There was a fully equipped kitchen which was great. We were missing a frying pan, but all it took was a stop into the office and they sent someone right up with one. Plus, the staff was FANTASTIC and courteous. So friendly! We would definitely stay again, next time we will make use of the Don Cesar amenities.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Cecilia K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have never submitted such a negative review; however, the poor quality of this "suite" was so egregious as to warrant this warning to my fellow Trip Advisor users. Upon entering the "suite," you are instantly transported to the early 1990s and have the feeling of visiting somebody's great-grandmother's retirement condo. The tile floors were disgusting. The kitchen and bathrooms are outdated and an eyesore.
Positive notes: the pull-out couch beds are comfortable, the view excellent, and W/D nice amenity.
I cannot recommend anyone staying here who is expecting a resort experience, especially when there are so many superior properties available in the same price range.
DISAPPOINTED
I also submitted this information on the Loews survey so hopefully this disaster can be avoided by others.

Room Tip: AVOID the Beach House "suites"
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank WPB
Dixon, Illinois
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We booked the 750 sq. feet suite with a view of the pool area and gulf. From the 2nd floor (actually the 3rd floor as the ground level isn't counted), we had a great view of both. The pool/game area was not very loud and did not bother us, however, the music from the bar next door was very loud at times and blocked out the noise of the Gulf that we were hoping to hear. However, we were told that management is working on resolving this issue.
Our suite was spacious with a private bedroom and two bathrooms. The bathrooms and kitchen were fully stocked (although I found it funny that frozen pizzas and ice cream are both sold in the front lobby but neither a pizza slicer or ice cream scoop were in the kitchen). Yes, as others have said, the room was outdated, however, the furnishings were still nice, nothing was dirty, and everything functioned perfectly well. We were also told that the entire hotel was being renovated next year.
We had some problems with poor housekeeping, however, a quick trip to the manager solved the issue. The manager was extremely accommodating and understanding and went out of his way after that to ensure that we were happy. We could not be happier with the way he handled this.
This hotel is not anything like the Don CeSar, however, it offers much bigger rooms, more privacy, and you are very close to the Don and can park there for free. We were able to charge our food and other items purchased at the Don to our room which was very convenient.

2 Thank Rebecca F
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We booked a 5 night stay for our 10 year anniversary. The room was nice but old. We booked the King suite with an ocean view. The view was not what I expected, could hardly see the ocean. Noise, noise, noise and more noise. Screaming kids all hours from early morining until late night. Loud upstairs neighbors stomping all through the night also. I would not recommend staying if relaxing and romance is your agenda. The rooms were not cleaned very well, never vaccumed, and one day they skipped us completely. Coffee pot is very old and messy. For the cost, I would recommend going somewhere else. I will never stay again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want relaxation and romance.
6 Thank disappointed d
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I booked a night here to finish an evening planned around my engagement. I wanted the Don but they were booked up so reservations moved me over here. I was told I was going to receive a room directly on the water side which was an upgrade from a pool view. When we arrived at the hotel and checked in I was surprised to find my room directly looking over the pool and many screaming children. I called down to the front desk to complain, they responded by calling reservations and listened to the recording from my booking. They claimed I was correct and was promised more than I was given but would not move us to the upgraded room (although one was available). Instead they knocked $80 of the bill. I explained to them money is not what I want, I wanted what I was promised. Apparently they do not care. Terrible experience at a hotel that should never be substituted for the Don Cesar.

Room Tip: Never book here!!!
4 Thank BurtonYoung
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We've stayed many times at the Loews hotels at Universal Studios and greatly enjoyed the experiences! As such I decided to book a a Grand King suite at the Don Cesar Suites for a Spring break trip in March 2014. This place is NO WHERE near as nice as any of the Loews Hotels we've stayed in, which is incredibly frustrating since we are paying over $400 per night when all the 12% tax and $25 per day Resort Fee is added! The location and ocean views are great but the room is 30 years old and sorely needs to be reconfigured as it feels MUCH smaller than the 600 sq ft it is supposed to be. I think this is a black eye to the Loews brand and it will definitely make me investigate further before I book another Loews hotel other than those at Universal!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank MidwestFamily_2010
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I usually only review positive trips, but a recent stay at Beach House Suites by the Don Cesar at St. Pete Beach, FL was such a disaster I have to comment.

I booked a suite for a 3 night stay at this hotel through an agency, and added an additional night directly through the hotel. At check-in I was informed the additional night was not considered part of my existing reservation and I would have reregister for the final day. So be it.

Since pet pampering is a reported specialty of the Suites, I brought my dog along. The hotel website indicates "guests will receive a detailed brochure with information on pet services, dog walking routes, services and pet-friendly restaurants at check-in"; but the receptionist barely looked at my canine companion. And there was nary a sign of the welcome gifts which included a name tag, bowl, special treats, and “Pet in room” sign for housekeeping staff. (I was hard pressed to even find a Do Not Disturb sign in either of my suites).

My suite was located on the third floor with a wonderful view of the ocean. My stay was short-lived however. I'd barely unpacked and settled in before the AC unit malfunctioned and I was relocated to the first floor. I now had a stunning view of treetops and the roof of a snack bar.

It should be noted that the hotel suite balconies do not offer any privacy. It should also be noted that courtyard activities tend to be loud and balcony conversations are greatly amplified. It's noisy, plain and simple.

While my new suite was furnished nicely, it didn't offer much in the way of extras. The "fully equipped kitchen" described on the website leaves a lot to the imagination. (Stick with cold cuts and you'll do fine). The bedroom was roomy but the bed was in desperate need of a new mattress; the middle sag was so apparent the hotel had to be aware. The carpeting was in good condition but could have used a cleaning. And apparently air-conditioning maintenance is not high on the hotel's priority list because the AC malfunctioned in THIS suite as well. So you have the added convenience of waiting for a visit from maintenance on a regular basis.

The biggest surprise, which absolutely stunned me, was the outdoor pet exercise area. It was a narrow strip of grass located directly under beach suite balconies. The strategically placed signs requesting guests pick up after their dogs was interesting - and a daring feat at sundown since lighting is not provided (unless the moon counts). And there is literally nowhere else to walk a dog in the hotel area unless you use a vacant lot across the street. But be warned - it's full of brambles and stickers. All this for just $45.00 per pet/per night!

I attempted to reregister as requested on the third day. I was informed by a receptionist the hotel had handled the details so I needn't worry. Imagine my surprise when I received a call from the reservation manager that very afternoon advising my belongings had to be removed from my room because I hadn't checked out! Yes indeedy, I was just so impressed with this level of service and luxury.

Was I surprised my dog did not eventually receive his gifts? Not a bit. I would have been shocked otherwise. And to add insult to injury, the poor thing came home with fleas!

My mistake was booking a "name" hotel when I could have booked equal/better accommodations nearby at a lower price.

Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. There are plenty of excellent choices on St. Pete Beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo