“Wonderful stay and we will be back”

Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Germantown, OH
“Wonderful stay and we will be back”
Reviewed April 8, 2006

We loved the Plaza Beach Resort and will definitely be back. The room itself was spacious and comfortable. It was nice being right on the beach and close to great eating places and parasailing, etc. We went to "That Place" which is owned by the same people who own the hotel and they had the best ice cream and caramel macchiatos around.
Skidder's is a definite place to visit with their delicious food. We loved the pizza and the Greek cruisine.
The owners helped us with suggestions on where to go to eat and gave us wonderful advice. It was one of the BEST vacations ever. It was very relaxing and everyone we met seemed to be regulars who loved the place as much as we did. The only negative to the entire vacation was having to leave.
However, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank lsteinmetz_123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Polish first
michigan
Reviewed April 4, 2006

My family has just returned from a week at the plaza. We also had another family that stayed down the street at their sister motel. Overall it was a nice, clean room with a small kitchen. Being so close to the beach was great. The sister motel was also very clean. The fishing dock there was great as we spent most every night out there fishing. The plaza itself seems very much geared to an older clientel. We are in our forties and still like to have a little fun at night. Not here. Lots of guests seem to come back year to year and like to see the same faces, not new ones. Very quiet end of the beach. Our teen-agers spent no time at our place they went to the tradewinds every day and night. I'm sure the other guests at the plaza were very happy with this. Overall the best I can say is that it is a very clean motel with a great ocean view but not very much fun.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank cnews
New York
Reviewed February 28, 2006

Hi everyone,
I must preface this review by stating that I never actually stayed at The Plaza Beach Resort and that is why I am writing this "review'. A little background info. My family of 8 are going to Orlando in July. Our plans are to stay in Orlando for 7 days and then head to St. Pete's beach for some well-earned R&R. Based on reviews on tripadvisor ,I attempted to book 2 nights at the Plaza. I called the resort and was told there was availability. A day or so later I called to book the 2 nights, and spoke with the owner. He told me that yes, they did indeed have rooms but would not give them to me for only 2 nights. He said during peak season he carried a one week minimum stay. NO WHERE on his website was this policy stated.
Well, we booked the Sirata for July, probably a better choice for the kids anyway. It is now the end of Feb, and a girlfriend and I decided to take a little getaway for 3 night,4 days. AHA! Let me try The Plaza. I booked online, was told there was availability and requested a gulf-front room w/balcony. I gave all info online,including my debit card which was to be billed 100.00 to hold the room. Was told I would receive a confirmation by e-mail. Well, when I heard nothing I called the hotel directly and spoke w/the same owner. He told me that they were just going through the reservations and he DID NOT have a gulf-view room for me, and maybe he could squeeze me in somewhere. I asked why my credit card info was taken and he told me that the "reservation" form I filled out was only a request. No apology for not e-mailing me earlier, no compassion on his part at all. Needless to say , I would NEVER stay at a resort where travelers are treated so badly. I can understand the greed thing, why book a room for 3 nights when you can book it for 7, but be upfront on your website regarding your policies. Sorry for the long rant, but I just HAD to get it out. I haven't given up on ST.Petes, but will definitely never consider the PLAZA! Have a great day all!
Thanks for listening:-)
Donna

• Stayed February 2006
14 Thank nanny2B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 18, 2005

I don't understand how anyone could write a bad review about this place. It is not a Hilton, or Ritz Carlton by any stretch of the imagination. It is a very old strip-style beachfront motel, that the owners have gone to great measures to keep warm, clean and appealing. YES, there are only 4 gulfront rooms with private balconies/porches. But, they were less than $100 a night!!!! If you want a Hilton, Sirata, Adam's Mark, etc... on the beach, then go pay hundreds of dollars and stay there.

This property is probably the cleanest place I have ever stayed at- inside and out. We did check it out online ahead of time, and made sure we had one of the gulfront rooms. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!! 32" TV, pretty spacious balcony. They have gone to great lengths to make the entire property very comfortable and inviting. The pool is so-so. Sort of small, square, nothing to write home about. But it was full of water, and we swam in it, so I guess it served it's purpose.

My wife and I are Tampa residents, and ususally stay for a couple of nights at the beach every few months, so we have stayed at many gulf coast hotels. I am very confident in saying that this is the best value, hands down that we have found ANYWHERE along the beaches.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed October 15, 2005

We were a party of 5 women, never would have thought you could please 5 women but Plaza beach did it. We had a wonderful time. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and comfortable. They come with a fully equipped kitchenette and grocery stores are very convenient. The small scale allows for more personal service and less people to share the ammenities with. We met several other guests and all were happy there. Met one couple that had planned on a week and were at that time in their 3rd week there. Hotel beds and pillows are never like home but we were so exhausted at the end of the day we melted right into them. I have stayed at many high priced chain hotels in my travels and not been as happy as I was here. HUGE bonus, although the placed was booked , we never heard a sound from neighboring rooms. No murmurs of talking, no shower running no toilet flush, not a sound. When the door to the room was shut it was very well sound insulated. There are 5 very happy women that have already picked out our room for next year and will be staying here again and again.

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank shihtzu217
Kentucky
Reviewed October 6, 2005

1st of all let me say I booked this motel based on reviews on Trip Advisor. In an area of old, rundown motels that have seen better days I guess this one is above average - but when is the gulf coast going to get with it and update to some newer places that don't require you to take a second mortgage to stay at???? Here's a realistic review of the Plaza Beach:
The good- nice pool(but small), great access to the beach. lounge chairs at pool nice, place was fairly clean, though daily housekeeping left a lot to be desired(basically empty trash and put out new towels).
The bad- the beds were horrible! Sleeping on the floor would have been more comfortable. Linens and pillows were in worse shape -I actually had "carpet burns" on my arms every morning just from turning over in bed with the roughness of the sheets. The pillows were random - one was thick, but hard as a rock, the other was 2" thick. If we hadn't taken our own pillows and sleeping pills we wouldn't have slept all week. The rooms were not nearly as large as they appeared on the website - in fact, the bathroom was so small you could barely turn around and forget about dressing in there - I definitely would NOT recommend you try to stay here with a family. The furniture is outdated and not very comfortable.
The ugly - signs, signs, signs - I've never stayed anywhere that loves to post signs about what you're NOT allowed to do - to me it gave a "gestapo" feel to the place. With the average age of guest about 70(my husband thinks they should change the name to Plaza Beach and Nursing Home!) it's not exactly a place that attracts the college-age partying crowd so what's up with all the signs? They also nickel and dime you to death - charge for parking, charge for internet use, charge for an extra key . Oh, but when you need information about something, they can't seem to write that down like how to use wi-fi or an itemized bill of what you're being charged. There was not any information in the room about the locations of ice machines, etc or even local hangouts. The blond surfer looking dude working the front desk seemed put out to even answer questions and I don't think he was happy to be working there. Over all we enjoyed our vacation and since we only stayed a few days this worked out better than renting a condo for a week, but I honestly HOPE this isn't the best place St Pete beach has to offer - if so, it's a pretty sad statement on the tourism industry in this area.

• Stayed October 2005
13 Thank Carolf32
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 11, 2005

I have been to St Pete Beach several times and have stayed at several locations along the beach but none have met my expectations for the price that I have paid until we stayed at the Plaza Beach Resort. I came with little expectation because of the low price we were given but thoroughly surpised. The room was clean, up to date, fairly spacious, and had several amenities including a small kitchenette. It had a clean pool and easy access to the beach. Don't expect the hilton but do expect value for your money!

• Stayed September 2005