“Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, St. Pete Beach,Florida.”

Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our recent stay at the Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort was a very good experience overall. Although housekeeping services were minimal, the rooms and the property were very clean and well-maintained. The stuff was friendly, attentive, and helpful, especially the front desk personnel. The morning coffee and afternoon "happy hour" are both nice touches to the overall atmosphere. Despite it being a "spring break" week, the resort atmosphere was generally quiet and actually was quite pleasant. The pool is very nice, and we appreciated the salt water instead of chlorine. The view of the Gulf water was excellent from our room, and there is easy access to the large and beautiful beach. Unlike some reviews, we found our bedding to be rather comfortable. One suggestion: The vacant "Tiki hut" by the pool should be put to better use, if not as a snack bar, then perhaps for other poolside and oceanside refreshments. Alternatively, if it remains unused it should be removed and replaced, perhaps with a sauna/hot tub. In summary, Tricia and I very much enjoyed our experience at the Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort.

Room Tip: The Gulf front suites with balconies are a bit pricier than the other rooms, but are well worth it...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cloudhawk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,955)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We just got back from spending a week at the Plaza-March02-March07 and we felt this hotel was great. It was very clean and the staff was wonderful. They made suggestions for food and activities that turh out great. (Thanks for recommending Carlos Buenos for fishing it was fantastic).Our room was great. We had 2 beds and a couch with a great TV that you could view from everywhere in the room. Our bathroom included a full size tub which I had requested and the staff did everything to make that happen. We happen to be smokers and love be able to go right outside the door and smoke. I did not notice anyone that was staying there having any problem with this. The guests were all very friendly as well.We spent 2 weeks traveling to Florida from Wisconsin and stayed in 4 different hotels/motels and this was by far the best and hope to come back again.Location and having the pool,games and the kitchen helped us save some money and have a great time - Thanks

Room Tip: We asked for a bathroom with a full tub it was great
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Teresa P
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed here for six nights in February 2013, based on trip advisor reviews. We had a ground floor room with a double bed and sofa bed, and a small patio. Our biggest disappointment was the quality of the bedding, as their trip advisors have noted, it was well worn and faded. The bedding was not changed in all the time we were there, in fact the beds were not made, just straightened. When we brought this to the attention of the manager he said that they only do sheet changes every seventh day. We have travelled extensively in the USA and at the price charged here. We would have expected more frequent sheet changes. Every 7 days simply isn't good enough. The sofa bed was well past it's best and had a "home made board" under the cushions. This was a nuisance when it came to making up the bed each night. When we brought this to the attention of the manager, he said it make sitting much more supportive and comfortable. A new sofa would have been better!!!!! In summary a superb location but the standard of accommodation was just not up to scratch. In a more positive note we would say that the newly tiled floors were clean and fresh as was the decor. The management really should pay more attention to the beds and bedding and perhaps take on board some of the comments from other reviewers. This could be a wonderful little gem.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carole W
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Thank you for mentioning the newly tiled floors and fresh decor. The property recently went through a large renovation, and just about everything was replaced. I say, just about everything because the bedding has not been replaced because at the time of renovations we felt that bedding still had some years on them. That being said, with guest feedback, we are moving forward with replacing all our bedding by the end of this year.

As for the sofas, they are new. Yes, the boards under the cushions are hand made by our maintenance department because there are no such things available in any store. Eventually someone will take the support board idea and patent it and make millions on our idea - hopefully they'll give me a share. But as I mentioned, it's there for support, sleeper sofas don't have the same support as a non-sleeper sofa, so I apologize if it was a nuisance every night to remove it, but you didn't have to put it back on every morning. You could have just put it behind or under the sofa, it's there for you to use, but if you don't want to use it, then you don't have use it.

As for the sheet change, yes, we do our sheet changes weekly. Our resort is an extended stay resort with full kitchens, we have guests stay one night, multiple nights, multiple weeks and even monthly. We are a Green Resort where we conserve on waste by recycling, water conservation and energy conservation. With guest opinions and input, 7-day sheet changes were established years ago to be similar to what most people would do at home. With that being said, if we receive more feedback from guests requesting to change them more often we will do so.

Guest feedback is very important to me and I do listen and take all guest comments seriously. Thank you again for taking the time to leave us a review and I look forward to seeing you back next year with our new bedding.

Robert Czyszczon
Plaza Beach Resorts - St Pete Beach

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I've been meaning to write this forever. We stayed in the fall of 2012 and were really disappointed.
Our room (a one bedroom suite, I believe they only have one or two of these) was dumpy. Two double beds that creaked and squeaked anytime you moved. The mattresses were too soft and I like a soft mattress! The bathroom, shower only, was as small as a cruise ship bathroom and not what I expected in a suite.

The beach towels were old, thin, and some were ripped and you had to go to the office to get them. Once I went around 10:00 a.m. and they didn't have any because they were all in the wash.

Smoking is allowed on the "balconies" which are really the walkways that you have to take get get to your room. I'm going to guess that most nearby hotels are no smoking so everyone who does smoke stays here. That may explain why there were so many people hanging out on the walkways smoking. It was everywhere.

And because I don't remember anyone stating this in a review, no elevators. Not a big deal but something to be aware of if you can't do stairs.

I wish they would upgrade the rooms and go non-smoking because in many ways the place is charming, like Florida in 1950. The landscaping and the recently redone pool are pretty. It has a little mini golf area, shuffleboard, and giant chess, all of which our young child enjoyed. Our room, though dumpy, was cleaned well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank sydneyinevanston
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

I apologize that you were not satisfied at our hotel. However, I disagree with your review of our property being dumpy and having all the smokers staying here.

1) You stayed here in Oct.2012, the property was already completely renovated with new tiles throughout the room, new re-tiled bathrooms (yes, the bathrooms are small, but clean and functional), new LCD TV's one in bedroom, and one in the living room, crown molding, new kitchen - I don't know where you can even come close to calling our property dumpy

2) Just an FYI we were the first hotel on St Pete Beach to go completely non-smoking in all our rooms back in 2000, many hotels back then and still some today have smoking and non-smoking rooms, we are completely non-smoking in all our rooms. If guest choose to smoke, they have to do it outside. Our property is an exterior property and all our rooms open to the outside. I apologize if the room next to was smoking, but outside is open air, it's not inside and it's not in your room.

3) We have today, one of the most sophisticated website in our industry. It's actually an award winning website that details everything about our resorts. There are lots of pictures, hotel videos, guest videos, aerial photos, and a Virtual Walk-Through of our property that allows you to walk into our rooms and walk around the property as if you were actually here. - I don't know how anyone could possibly say that it was not what they expected or the property is dumpy because what you see, is what you get on our property.

I do appreciate you mentioning that the property was in many ways charming and that the landscaping and pool were pretty.

I apologize that our property was not for you, but boutique hotels not for everyone.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We just returned from our second year at Plaza Beach Hotel and are counting the days until our next visit. To anyone who prefers big posh hotels with all the glitz and glamor and price tag to match this is not for you. Plaza Beach Hotel is a small family owned (and cared for) business with an increasing list of faithful return guests. A variety of different rooms accommodates most guest needs and comfort. The location is perfect ~ just steps from the beautiful beach, restaurants, trolly stop, gas station and strip mall. Bisera kept our room neat and tidy and the ladies at the front desk were friendly and helpful with our questions. The owners are on site daily and truly care about the guests. The pool was warm, refreshing, and immaculate. One of my favorite parts of the visit was happy hour ~ a fun time to meet others who are staying in the hotel, many of whom are return visitors of 20 years or more (that alone is a testimony to the Hotel). Now, at the risk of the Hotel being fully booked next year when I want to book my trip I must say, "Let's just keep this our little secret, okay???"

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bonnie L

Thank you so much for your repeat visit and wonderful review. I appreciate the great comments and mentioning Bisera our housekeeper, she is great, and I will be sure to share your comments with here.

Our family has owned the Plaza Beach Hotel since 1988, so this year is our 25th Anniversary year. We are blessed to have great guest, really!!!. We still have guest that visit us yearly that have been coming since the 1950's when the hotel was built. We also have many of families that now bring their families here, because this was beach where they played or the pool where they learned to swim. We love seeing our guest yearly and we appreciate our newer guest that now call our hotel, their ''Home away from Home"

Thank you for returning again and welcome to our extend family.

Robert Czyszczon
Plaza Beach Resorts - St Pete Beach
"Traditions Start Here"

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were looking for a one bedroom suite which was difficult to find in a hotel setting on St. Pete Beach. We choose Plaza Beach Hotel for the good reviews we read on Trip Advisor. It is definitely a "mom and pop" type of Hotel with the big giants down the beach strip. I much prefer the smaller hotels with a small town feel. All guests and staff were very friendly. It was so nice to have the beach and pool toys for my 1.5 and 6 year old. The pool is small but warm and very clean. Our room was perfect for our 6 day stay, spacious and a kitchen to prepare meals in. I had asked for a crib for my 1.5 yr old, upon arrival the crib was set up in the bedroom all ready for use, which was perfect because we rolled in at 10pm. I did not feel that our room was serviced as often as I would have liked. I was happy to find a broom in the corner to keep up with all the sand that is drug in from the beach. We enjoyed walking for miles on the beach and collecting seashells along the way. Other than the cool weather (mid 40's one day! and highs in the 60's the other days), we had a terrific vacation.

Room Tip: It's disappointing that the most expensive room at the hotel is not ocean front; however, we cou...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Renovated room - 4.5
Cleanliness - 3.5
Bathroom - 2
Bed comfort - 2
Overall - 3.5

Overall we had a very nice stay - the location, pool, and room were all very nice. The additional amenities like the beach furniture and toys, and happy hour were also great.

We were in a 1 bedroom suite - myself, my wife and our 6 month old. For how nicely the room was renovated, the bathroom is very small, especially for a room that sleeps 6. It would have been a challenge for 6 adults! The lack of a shower should be noted on the website. If a family with kids stayed in the room, there is no where for a bath. Luckily our daughter did not need a bath while we were there. Additionally, there was a good amount of mold on the window curtain in the shower. With the frosted window it was unnecessary to see the grossness.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family