I usually stay in the chain hotels to take advantage of loyalty programs as well as to have a consistent, predictable experience. With out one of my usual hotels in the area, I tried the Plaza Beach Resort based on other Trip Advisor advice.
My wife and I were both very happy with the property. This was not a typical vacation trip, but instead, was a working trip for both of us. The property was close to the client she was meeting with during the day and I was able to work using my laptop and hotel WiFi. The advantage I had was that I could take my laptop to the snack bar area near the pool and have enough shade, AC power, and WiFi signal to work just feet from the sun and sand. I was able to walk the beach, dip in the pool, and walk to a variety of place for lunch.
Once work was over, we found the Publix grocery store across the street to get a variety of foods we could prepare in the kitchenette (microwave, full-size fridge, cooktop, no oven) and eat with the plates and utensils in the room. Very handy and saved us money over eating out every meal.
We had a king room. There is one recliner chair (no sofa) and several chairs for the the kitchen table. Living area here was fine, but the bathroom is very...compact... It is one person-at-a-time in the bathroom.
The room was very clean which is an accomplishment for housekeeping given how sand ends up everywhere. Tile floors make it easier for them to clean. Fit and finish of the room was fine, but remember, this property was probably built in the 70. The owners have done a nice job keeping the paint colors and decor somewhat modern.
We really appreciated having beach chairs for guests rather than having to rent them. Were we there with small children, the collection of beach toys, shuffleboard, mini-golf, and other amusements would have been a very nice compliment. Given how we were traveling this time, we just didn't have time to take advantage of them.
While we will most likely stay here again in future trips to the Gulfport/St. Pete Beach area, there are few things to keep in mind:
- Gulf Blvd is the main road in front of the property and any noise at night from loud motorcycles or cars is going to bounce off the condo next door and carry into any of the south facing rooms. Probably the same issue with the north facing rooms. If you are looking for a very quiet room, this probably isn't the property for you, however, we did sleep with the windows open since that part of Florida was having a heat wave while we were there.
- We had a "pecking" sound above and behind our room that no one could figure out. It wasn't loud, but at 3:00am, it was noticeable and just random enough to make it hard to fall asleep. Might have just been our location.
- There is no housekeeping on Sundays. I think this is perfectly fine and prefer a minimum of service during my stays. No one changes the bedding and towels every day at home, why should I make that big a deal on the road? If you expect that kind of service, just know that you can change your towels at the desk on Sunday.
- You get a single, old-style punched hole key. A second key is a $10 cash deposit that you get back upon checkout.
- Runners will like going south on Gulf Blvd into Pass-a-Grille and then running back. About 5+ miles round trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Completely Renovated this year, Plaza Beach Hotel Beachfront Resort is an award winning boutique resort of only 39 suites on the tropical island of St Pete Beach. St Pete Beach was voted #1 Beach in America by tripadvisor and is famous for its sugar white beaches. Plaza Beach Resort is situated directly on the beach with a large beachside pool overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Imagine yourself relaxing in the pool while watching a breathtaking orange/purple sunset melt into the gulf. All rooms are spacious studio apartments with full kitchen; great for large families, couples or the business traveler who wants all the amenities of home. Best of all we have No Surprise Resort Fees, Enjoy everything the Plaza Beach Resort has to offer at no additional cost. We really mean it: FREE Beach Cabanas, FREE Beach/Pool Towels, FREE Wireless Internet, FREE Shuffleboard, FREE 4-hole Mini-Golf, FREE Human-size Chess, FREE BBQ Area, FREE Business Center, FREE Fitness Room, FREE parking and FREE Fishing off of our private piers just across the street. Our resort is Family Owned and Operated, and has been since 1988. The family is still very active in the day to day operations, on property daily, with a great friendly staff ready to assist you with a genuine Florida vacation. Members of Superior Small Lodging Association and Approved by AAA for Quality and Standards, our resort is one of only a handful of resorts in Florida that has received the Green Lodging seal from the State of Florida as well as greenleaders gold award from tripadvisor for our effort in conserving and recycling. St Pete Beach is a 6-mile island and the Plaza Beach Resort is directly in the center of the island. Everything is in walking distance, the grocery store, restaurants, and shopping are just across the street. As well as Deep Sea Fishing, Parasailing, Jet Skiing, Dolphin Cruises, Sunset Cruises and many different island cruises visiting the nearby islands. Best of all we are only 30 minutes from Busch Gardens and 90 minutes from Disney and all the Orlando Parks. Try us, and see for yourself why so many people return to the Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Saint Pete Beach
- Plaza Beach Saint Pete
- Plaza Beach Resort
- Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort St. Pete Beach, Florida