Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I wanted to stay a few nights at St. Pete Beach and decided to give this hotel a try based on the good reviews. I arrived as a walk-in guest and due that the hotel wasn’t full I got a special price. They showed me two different types of rooms and I decided to splurge and took a Beachfront Suite with two private balconies, located on the top floor. It was really worth it.
The two rooms were spacious, bright, very comfortable and the view on the Gulf of Mexico with amazing sunsets just spectacular. Some of the furniture, e.g. couch, could be replaced and the bathroom could use an update but nothing to really complain about. I liked it so much that I prolonged my stay from three to five nights.
The hotel is specialized in weddings and it is truly a romantic place to get wed.
Maybe because it wasn’t high season, beside the weekend the hotel was very quiet and peaceful.
I tried the Spinners Rooftop Revolving restaurant and I liked it, even if it’s a bit pricey, on weekends a reservation is recommended. There are a few more moderate restaurants in walking distance, which are more appropriate for families and also very good.
There is a PC in the lobby for the ones without a laptop. At the beginning I was told that it was against payment but actually I and other guests were able to use it all the time for free, which I really appreciated.
If I happen to be in the area I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,771)

Reviewed October 23, 2010

Loved the location, easy access to the beach, free (and easy) parking, their beach bar, the price, and the room. Tashain's review was nicely detailed and spot on.

Have been to St.Pete's many times and have stayed in other locations. Highly recommend this one.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Our stay was fun and relaxing so much that we will make it a must visit every 3 months. To add to our wonderful stay, the hotel staff was just wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Attended A Wedding at the hotel, that was very proffesionly done. Food was awsome and the sunset was like nothing I had ever seen. Overall we could not have stayed at a better place. Do it again in a second.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

My mother (70) and I (47), spent October 11-16th at The Grand Plaza Beach Resort and Conference Center in St. Pete Beach, Florida. We have both traveled quite a bit, mom on cruises with my wheelchair-bound father, many all-inclusive Mexican resorts and other resorts in the US. We chose this property for its location (on the beach), restaurants on property to include breakfast, room cost and amenities. We were pleased on all accounts. After shopping around on travel websites to get the best deal, I called the property directly and was given the lowest price for a partial ocean-view room. On travel websites you must pay up-front for all nights of your stay, but when booking with the property you only have to put a credit card down for the first night with balance due upon checkout.

The location was great, it is located directly on the beach with parasailing, wave-runners, and two-seat cabana lounge chairs for a fee. The resort is on Gulf Blvd. at the southern end of St. Pete Beach. Across the street is a liqueur store and down about ½ mile is a Publix grocery store and a CVS pharmacy as well as a dollar store. Crabby Bill’s Seafood Restaurant is next door. There are several trolley stops nearby on the Suncoast Beach route, which runs from Pass-A-Grill up to North Clearwater as well as connections to other routes which run inland. An all day ride pass is only $4.50 for adults, reduced fare for seniors of $2.25. We used this trolley to make a stop at John’s Pass Village in Madiera Beach one day, much cheaper than a taxi. This trolley runs about every 30 minutes all day.

The resort had three restaurants: Bongo’s Beach Bar (next to pool and adjacent to the beach access), had full bar, live music and food. We each had a plain soda (in a small plastic cup with ice) one night which cost $4.18 with tax, kind of pricy. A beer was $6.00 I think. The Palm Room is the breakfast and buffet restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating, the buffet is available for $9.95 all-you-care-to-eat including juice and coffee. It offers hot & cold cereal, grits, fresh fruit, bakery items, pancakes, French toast, bacon & sausages, sausage gravy and biscuits, skillet potatoes, scrambled eggs and a breakfast casserole. The servers were pleasant and accommodating. Spinners Bistro is located on top of the 13 story tower and it rotates once per 90 minutes to offer a 360 degree view of the area while eating. A glass elevator runs exclusively to this restaurant from the front of the lobby. Parking seems plentiful with extra spaces below ground level and is free. The main lobby level also has a small gift shop. The lower level has a guest laundry and work out room with a scale, which we used to weigh our luggage on our way out (very handy), and conference rooms.

Our room was #300 located on the 3rd floor directly across from the elevators. Noise was not an issue with two exceptions: one afternoon three maids (two female & one male)
were goofing off very loudly in the hallway for about 30 minutes (very unprofessional).
One night we heard people several times in the hallway, attributing it to the guests of two wedding parties waiting for the elevators. The air conditioning fan muffled most noises. We had a private balcony with a table and two chairs and a view to the north, we could see the beach on the left and towards the street to the right. Any noises heard from there were mostly from the Sirata Resort next door. The room was typical size with a king pillow-top bed and a double size Murphy bed with a firmer mattress. We had a large TV with cable channels, a small microwave with rotating plate (one wheel missing from turntable), a small frig. and an electronic safe (very useful though it was located almost on the floor). The bathroom was one room with a bathtub/shower and little counter space, but also had a 4 shelf corner unit for storage. The toilet flushed very loudly and fast, and the hairdryer handle got too hot to hold after about 3 minutes of use.

The two elevators were kept fairly clean and were also surprisingly fast. The lobby staff was pleasant and helpful. Note: There were two PC’c for guest use at the far end of the lobby.
When it came time for us to confirm our air flights and print boarding passes the wifi connection went down, but with staff assistance we were able to complete the task in time. I did use the free wifi connection with my iPod in the lobby and in the room and it worked fine though a bit slow compared to other connections I have used.

There are feral cats running around on the beach after dark and one tame one with a missing tale wanders around the tables accepting food as offered (but not really begging), he was really quite friendly. Regarding the pool area, considering that most Florida visitors are there for the abundant sunshine, we are an exception. We prefer shade and a bit of sun and there was very little shade available near the pool, mostly against the building until about 2:00 pm, then NO shade at all. There were a few palm trees (maybe 10?), but offered little shade. A few umbrellas were situated by small tables along the north side of the pool, but offered no shade at that time of year and day. The pool is about 25 X 30 feet, 4-8 feet deep and temperature a few degrees cooler than the air, so it was refreshing. Lounge chairs have cushions and chairs are resin. Towels are free and offered at the front desk.

Overall, we were pleased with the whole package. I would recommend this property
to other visitors. Contact me with any questions.

• Stayed: October 2010
3  Thank TashainMexico
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Stay at the Grand Plaza for 3 nights with new wife. We swam in the pool,walked on the beach,sat at the beach bar as we watched 3 weddings. We eat in the restaurant and ordered room service 3 times.Food was very good.Staff was always friendly.Are we going back???? Have 3 rooms for Thanksgiving week and reservations for 8 for the turkey buffet.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the Grand Plaza, had a great time. Love the atmosphere.