I should have looked this one up in Trip Adviser before I booked! But it was at the last minute and I had to find something on the beach, close to the Tampa Bay Rays Baseball Park. This is an older hotel and is starting to show its age. It is designed like the old Holiday Inns (round) of the 60's. No charge for parking your car and they have an under-ground parking garage so your car is protected from the hot Florida sun. We had requested extra towels and pillows which were in our room when we arrived. I had also asked for a room on a high floor. They gave us the 8th floor (out of 9) so that was good. Our room was large enough for the 2 of us but you could see that they had divided it in half with an added wall to give the room next door "suite status". The molding around the bathroom door was coming lose from the door frame and the shower head was frozen in time so you could not change the flow. We had a coffee maker in the room but the cord was so short you could not reach it to put water in it without unplugging it firsts. But I guess in the big picture of things, these were minor inconveniences. Our first night we spent at the ball game (we lost) but it was an easy drive from the ball park to the hotel. The main reason we selected this hotel was for the beach and because it was close to our baseball game (20 minutes). It was after 1a when we hit our bed. The king size bed was good to look at but you kinda rolled to the center like it was stuffed with feathers. Another disappointment. We had a ceiling fan and an air conditioner. I'm sure that the temperature is controlled because it did not change when you tried to lower it a degree or two. Thank goodness we had a fan. In the morning we ate at the Palm Restaurant within the hotel. We selected the breakfast buffet for under $10 and was very satisfied with the selection and quality. The Palm restaurant is very small so they seem to want you to eat and get on with your day. We then dressed for the beach. You can rent a cabana for 2 on the beach from a private vendor for $25 for an 8 hour day. They start picking up the cabanas at 5p. This price is pretty standard along most of Florida beaches. This time of the year the sun goes down around 7p with a great sunset if your taking pictures. The beach is great here on the Gulf and great for just walking and picking up shells if that's what you want to do. We had very calm weather, no wind the entire day so the surf was very good for all. If you have children the hotel next door allows you to use their inflated swim slides (for a fee). The hotel's Bongo's Beach Bar is very lively, even in the middle of the week. Live entertainment in the afternoon through the evening. Their servers are very prompt and will serve you by the pool as well as in their Beach Bar. But no service on the beach. Now we come to "Spinners", the rotating roof top restaurant. Yes, it does make a complete circle which takes about 1 hour. But...... maybe we just ordered the wrong thing, it seemed to take forever. My husband ordered the Chicken Marsala with a side of pasta and a green salad. His meal was served in 2 different boat dishes and he had to ask for a plate so that he could eat them together. I had requested a filet topped with crab , medium rare. The meat was "well" and tasteless (for $35) My mashed potatoes were cold and hard. I did have a bowl of corn chowder and hot bread sticks that were very good. I would have sent my plate back except we had waited so long to get it, and I was starving. I just ordered more bread! With 2 glasses of wine our meal, including an average tip was around $100. The service was OK, but we expected more from the kitchen. We checked out without problems. Will we stay again, probably not. I will have to take time to review Trip Adviser next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel is located directly on the beach and Gulf of Mexico. The Resort features a wide selection of luxurious guestrooms with furnished private balconies and all the best full service resort amenities for the leisure or business travelers. Featuring 4 Restaurants - Spinners Rooftop Revolving Bistro & Lounge, Level 11 Rooftop Lounge, Bongos Beach Bar & Grill, and the Palm Room Restaurant. 3 Lounges, Heated Swimming Pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TravelUp, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel And Conference Center
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Hotel
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center St. Pete Beach, Florida