“Great views, Great beach, not so great rooms!”

Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed February 15, 2008

We stayed here for 1 night, The beach and view from our room was beautiful. The room was OK. It was clean, but there were long black hairs on all the towels and in the bathroom. I assume the person cleaning had long black hair and was leaving some behind. The other problem was the all tile floors. You could hear everything that was going on outside the door. Everything Echoed. The place is a bit dated, our alarm clock didn't work, the TV remote didn't work.(they did bring us a new one) We didn't need the alarm because the food delivery truck woke us up at 4:00am. We heard delivery trucks often from then on. I can say that the bed mattress was new and very comfortable. I would stay again but only if I got a really low rate. It was not worth the rate they charge. I will stay somewhere else if I am going to pay that much.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank DLCTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (2,773)

Reviewed February 12, 2008

I booked directly through the Hotel and found the best price that way. The first night there was an issue that I brought 1st thing in the morning to the management's attention and they quickly rectified the situation and changed our room. The management handled themselves very professionally. The rest of our stay was excellent with a very friendly staff and and clean rooms and great hotel buffet breakfast you couldn't go wrong. The Gulf of Mexico is absolutely breathtaking and the Hotel keeps the beach and grounds meticulously maintained. I thank The LORD for HIS beautiful Creation! The colors of the water were magnificent! I would highly recommend this Hotel for it's great value and kind and courteous staff!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Betteanne C
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I loved my stay at the Grand Plaza! It's a great value for a nice hotel. I booked a beachfront room, and was delighted to find out they upgraded me to a beachfront suite (I think it was room 317). I will definitely get the suite on future trips to this resort. From the moment I arrived I was treated like a truly valued guest. Everyone was so friendly and helpful.

The whole suite was light and airy, with light-colored wood and cheery furnishings. The main room had a fabulous balcony overlooking the pool and beach. The bedroom had both a king and double bed (a little crowded), but it also had a balcony with a beautiful view of the north end of the beach. Windows spanned the entire outside wall, so the whole suite was filled with sunshine during the day. The Bath & Body Works products were a very nice touch.

In the evenings, I kept the bedroom balcony door open to hear the music from the Sirata resort next door. There also was fireworks Friday night, right in front of the hotel. I don't know if that was a usual occurrence or something special, but it was fun.

The only negatives of the hotel, and they are minor, is that the WiFi never worked, and the breakfast buffet was terrible. But there's an iHop across the street, so breakfast wasn't a problem (stay away from the Village Inn as it was really dirty).

Area recommendations: Go sailing and dolphin watching with Dolphin Landings (a block south across the street). Walk or take the beach bus to Passe-a-Grille and have a drink and something to eat on the Brass Monkey's outside deck (the mini crab cakes called Monkey Balls are fantastic).

It was a great trip, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Grand Plaza.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank Carib0906
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We stayed at the hotel from January 21st - January 25th and wished we could have extended our stay. We had a room on the 3rd floor on the north side of the building and what a view from our balcony. The room has plantation blinds that open up to a beautiful view of the beach and the Gulf. The room was clean with a microwave, fridge, coffee pot. and free internet service. What else do you need? Morning coffee on the balcony and a night cap listening to the Gulf.

The weather was not the best but a heated, clean pool and a magnificent beach was all we needed.

We had taken some friends there, as it was their first time in the St. Pete's area, and they are hooked.

Checking flights to go back.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Babs1941
Reviewed January 31, 2008

We have tried other mid-priced hotels on St. Pete Beach and have found the Grand Plaza to be the best value by far. The location is great, nice pool area, rooms are clean (though a bit dated), and the staff are pleasant. There are a number of good restaurants and beach bars within easy walking distance.

If you are a smoker, or can stand the smoke, their is a great little bar across the street behind the liquor store. You can smoke there, the food is great, and both the food and beer are very inexpensive. My wife and I had dinner and each had two drinks for less than $20. The rueben sandwich is like none other, and the cheeseburger is also good.....as are the homemade french fries. (I'm told another place similar to this is The Reef, about a mile north, across the street from the McDonalds).

We have stayed here four times now, and it is definitely our hotel of choice in the St. Pete area.

4  Thank CRoamer
Reviewed January 31, 2008

My wife and I stayed jan 22 and 23. We had little knowledge of the area so we drove up Gulf Blvd and looked at the hotels The plaza looked nice and we had a coupon from oneof the discount books you get at the gas stations. So we gave it a shot and are we glad we did. Not only did they accept the low rate offered on the coupon but they upgraded us without us asking!! We got a beach view room on the ninth floor. The room was roomy and immaculate with a balcony which we used a lot. Nice TV, big comfortable bed, microwave, refrig-what else could you want? Very short walk and you're on the beach. Food was good at the outside bar/grill. Breakfast was good (no juice? hell there were two huge bowls of freshly cut fruit on the buffet). Easy walking distance to restaurants, stores, etc on Gulf Blvd. Note: the trolley that runs up and down Gulf Blvd is supposed to run on a schedule--it didn'tcome close to being on time but it did come every 30-40 minutes. Can't fuss too much about it as it only cost $3.50 per day for unlimited stops. Staff was extremely friendly. We'll go back next year!!

4  Thank ifishwis
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We just got back from staying at the Grand Plaza. My husband and I got to the hotel at 9:00p.m. Jan. 21st and stayed until Jan. 25th. The check in was fast and simple. We stayed on the 2nd floor and supposedly had an ocean view from the balcony but we really looked right at the neighboring hotel. We could see the beach but only when you looked around the corner. The room looked nice. We had a king size bed that was very U-shaped so hard to sleep without rolling to the middle. The bathroom was really small and the sink area was falling apart. The room had a tile floor so you had to walk on beach sand all the time. Housekeepers did a good job everyday . We ate the breakfast buffet the first morning and it was horrible. It was $9.95 a person even if you just had a bowl of ceral. A glass of juice was not included in the price. The pancakes were so hard, you couldn't even cut them. It was very over priced. The beach was great, you just had to walk a few feet to get to it. It was kept clean. You could rent 2 lounge chairs for a day for $20 but we just sat on our towels instead. We tried to eat at the restaurant Spinners which revolves around the top of the hotel but I can't do heights so we didn't eat their. The food menu was the same as room service so it was nothing special. Since we were there in an off season, we never had a problem with parking or being crowded. We had a great trip and really liked the St. Pete Beach area but would never stay at the Grand Plaza again. The staff was friendly. From reading the reviews, we thought it would be a great place to stay but it really wasnt'. It was just average.

2  Thank heam0301