“Curate's Egg”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We've been a few times and overall have found the experience good.
It's slightly off the beaten track which suited us but still very close to the busy St Pete's Beach stretch.
It has entertainment which varies from time to time.
When we went it had a Jazz Combo which Is not our cup of tea but it was enjoyed by many.
Maybe because it is off the beaten track it does have its regulars and you notice, as you enter, eyes following you and sizing you up before resuming their drinks conversation!!
The foood features many fish dishes although I went for Spaghetti and Meatballs and could hardly walk after (almost) finishing them!!
The food isn't spectacular but it's not bad and reasonably good VFM.
Having read others reviews about service we have never experienced anything but good service.
I guess any restaurant can have its off days and we've been lucky enough to avoid them.
In summary it's a fun place with a menu to suit most and a good atmosphere.
It's also not bad value.
Would I make it my number place in the area - no.
But I would (and will) go back when we're next down in November.

1  Thank Greatblackhawk

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I live in this area and have visited The Blue Parrot numerous times, but I am not a regular here.

After a recent visit, my group was totally ignored by all staff in the main dining/bar area. It was later and only after our group waited for 5 mins. were we told, there is no service at a high top bar table (in the bar), only service was at the bar. The bartender totally ignored us and so did another staff member apparently off shift, but sitting around the bar. When we first sat down, why did one of the staff not say, we have service at this hour at the bar only?

Once we made it to the bar, their was just an aire of rudeness all the way round. The Blackened Wings at this joint are simply delicious and why we come here. We would come even if they were not $.25 per wing after 9PM. The off-duty member of this un-attentive staff advised us that the $.25 per wing deal was coming to an end soon because they were not getting people coming in wanting to stay and drink, which is what this special was intended! I get that, however, when you have a special like this you are going to get folks stopping by to enjoy the deal and the good wings. The information that this member shared seemed to be directed at us as we did not, nor do we ever sit at this bar and drink, we eat our wings, have a beer or two and leave. Since we are locals we did venture in on occasion.

I can tell you after this most recent visit, I will not ever partronize this establishment again. I have always found the staff here rude and non-acknowledging of their patrons. Of course, if you are one of their nightly locals you will find that they are very attentive! If you want some good wings and can tolerate poor staff, then go, if not stay far away from The Blue Parrot!

2  Thank FLATraveller52
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Been to this place several times when visiting St. Pete - - nice casual place with good seafood. It's a little hidden out of the way from the Corey Ave. shops and business but worth finding. There is also an outside bar in the rear with nightly entertainment.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

Great place for adults, food is priced right, drinks won't kill your wallet , Entertainment was different everynight which also brought in a different crowd. Outside bar is the place to be for all the fun. I was there four nights in a row and it was a great time. DON'T go if your a lump on a log. I do miss Denise !!!

Reviewed January 4, 2011

This seems to be one of those places that should prohibit minors from entering. We are a local family, been several times. NOT A FAMILY PLACE. No tap water served to kids who order meals in the outdoor eating area. The indoor area is near the stand up bar where the regulars engage in very loud non-family conversations.

Nothing for the kids to drink with their meals other than bar type non-alc beverages or expensive bottled water. There were several adults at our table that ordered full meals and drinks, as well as the kids ordered off the regular (no kids) menu provided. The Kids were chased away from little ring game by nastiest of servers. Why have the ring game if no-one can play it? I understand that the owner must maximize his profits in an area where he is providing live entertainment; and perhaps this is just one of those places where only adults should go to eat.

Food is satisfactory, Service was downright mean and rude our last visit; which will be our last visit, next time we want a real grouper sandwhich, we will walk the five extra blocks south to DSD. This place might suit many, just not our dining needs.

2  Thank FloridaGulfSailors