“Maintenance Issues”

Sirata Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Mill Valley, CA
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I recently (6-15-06) stayed at the Sirata Hotel in St. Petersburg, Fl and found the hotel to have some serious maintenance and housekeeping issues. We paid $159 a night for each of our two hotel rooms. The front desk staff didn't go out of their way to be helpful or show any great concern. My request for a non-smoking room was ignored and we had to switch rooms at 1 in the morning. We had two rooms. The carpeting in one of the rooms was so dirty that it left black marks on your feet when walking barefoot. When I switched to a new room, it seemed okay except I had to get maintenance to come up and fix the fan and put in some new lightbulbs. For two out of the four days that I was there, the housekeeping staff didn't clean my room. I had to call for service at 6 in the evening to get clean towels. On my last evening, the room wasn't cleaned until 9 p.m. and even then, the bathroom wasn't cleaned and the towels were thrown on the bed. Soap and extras were not replenished either. We had two rooms and the other room's bathroom was also neglected.

I noticed that many of the housekeeping staff were on duty for as long as 12 hours a day.
There were two elevators in my building and one was broken most of the time I was there. The other elevator was used by guests and housekeeping. Several times I found myself on a very hot glass elevator with a sweaty staff member with a huge cart of laundry. They seem to lack a service elevator. When I complained to the hotel, they gave us complementary breakfasts and a $60 credit for our discomfort. I wouldn't ever stay there again or recommend anyone stay there for any reason.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 17, 2006

We just returned from a week stay at the sirata from June 11th thru the 17th and it was a very nice vacation... The hotel is beautiful we stayed on the 6th floor of building 1 in the execuitve gulf suite. It is very spacious with a seperate living room with a mini kitchen and then a bedroom with 2 queen beds.. The beach is very nice the pools are nice but a little small. We were very nervous with all the negative reviews on here but I have to say that we were very pleased and can't wait to plan our next trip here. Our cleaning lady was very nice and had our room cleaned everyday by noon and the staff was very friendly.. The only thing that I would complain about is the $8 a day parking fee that was kind of a rip off and we ate at the mangrove grilll for breakfast one day it cost a family of fivee $75 for pancakes and frech toast that wasn't even that good. So we just bought donuts and at in the room.
They are making over the rooms and while we were there they brought us a brand new coach that was very nice and comfortable......

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank Runnergirl94
Reviewed June 13, 2006

Stayed at the Sirata June 06, first room was very large with a fully equipped kitchen. I paid for an upgrade for the other 3 nights of my stay as I wanted a sea view. They offer beachfront rooms which are on 3 levels right on the beach, I viewed these rooms but was dissapointed. They were all considerably smaller than the standard rooms and only had small kitchens with only a microwave, the ground floor rooms had there own patio area which faced onto a path with guest of the hotel walking past, the view of the beach was poor as there was a weed covered sand dune in front of you. The privacy and veiw was much better on the upper levels. I choose to stay in the Tower which faced the beach but was set back behind the beachfront rooms, I recommend floors 4 and up for an unobscured view. The rooms were great with a separate living area with another T.V (great for parents, kids can go to bed and you can watch T.V without disturbing them). The room had its own private balcony looking over the beach with 2 chairs and a small table, the view was amazing. The upgrade was well worth the extra $30 a night.

4  Thank Terryjones2
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Just got back from a week at the Sirata (June 3-9, 2006). Our first impression of our room was disappointment. We booked the executive suite and when we arrived the room was musty and the a/c was not working properly. We called maintenence and they fixed the a/c promptly. Another problem were the beds they were terrible. Another issue was the $8 parking fee per day. We did however, receive a free daily paper. And we saved a bundle by having the kitchen in our room, the Publix market is down the street and we loaded up on breakfast and lunch goodies and beer and soda. We brought a cooler and had lunch on the beach.

Other than the above the resort is perfect. The beaches were clean the pool was great. The staff is incredible. I am on the Sirata mailing list and received notification that they are currently redecorating the rooms with new decor and beds! We did not dine at the Mangrive Grill (too pricey!) but we found a great restaurant not too far from the resort. It's called Bella Havana they offer the best Cuban food at great prices and their drinks are two for one every night! We also dined at Sila's (not impressed).

Another fun area is Clearwater Beach and the place to eat there is Frenchy's, the best grouper sandwich and the best she-crab soup ever! It's the type of place that Jimmy Buffet like to sing about. You also need to visti Ft. DeSoto Beach! They have the best beach and it's a great place to find shells. We also saw lots of dolphins and sea turtles and big beautiful fish.

6  Thank Hotrodgal
Florida
Reviewed June 7, 2006

Me and my boyfriend just got back from a long weekend stay at the sirata Resort. We stayed the 19th through the 22nd. All and all it was an ok Hotel, our room was on the eight floor w/ private balcony. The room itself was nice but not any nicer than like a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn. Not worth what we paid a night. The weekend we stayed there were like 3 or 4 weddings going on. One of the banquet halls were 2 of the receptions were held was right down the hall. They were VERY loud, people runing up and down the halls screaming and carring on, the walls are apperantly very very thin, we had to call the front desk twice, To our knowledge nothing was done about it. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was great, we ate our other meals off from the hotel. Not really many activies to do at the hotel. Parking was a problem very hard to find open spots. The beach bar drinks were very expensive and not that good. You have to pay to use a beach cabana 15 dollars a day, which I thought was kind of odd cause we were guest of the hotel, I thought we were paying enough for the room, why should we have to pay for the chairs?

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 4, 2006

We booked a room for 3 nights to attend a wedding being held there at a "special rate of $179.00 per night". Check in was very easy & the staff was friendly. Thankfully there was bellman to help us as parking was hard to come by and our car was across the complex from our room (as was the lobby). The bellman gave us some tips on where to eat but also warned us not to move our car as it was very likely that we wouldn't be able to find another parking spot.

Our room faced the fountain in the courtyard and had a wonderful patio with table and chairs outside. It looked quite charming & very inviting. Unfortunately upon entering the room our view changed. The carpet was stained and warping up from the floor leaving large "humps" in many places. The bedspreads had stains and smelled musty. The Bathroom was tiny, old and outdated and the shower curtain was so dark if you closed it you lost all light in the shower. The beds were also very uncomfortable. I was really surprised to find the resort this way as the bride told us it was the most beautiful place in St. Pete.

The location on the beach was outstanding. The pools were also quite lovely. The downside being there were no free chairs or cabannas for hotel guests on the beach but plenty in the pool areas. There are many resturants & shops within walking distance which is always a plus when you want to relax.

There were two weddings there the weekend we were there and we had nothing but trouble finding a parking spot. Parking was free for hotel guests (some reviews have said they were charged so maybe it was just because we were with the wedding) but that didn't matter much when there was no place to put your car.

The reception was quite lovely. There was a wonderful set up of drinks in the courtyard while we waited on the bride & groom. The hall looked quite stunning with all the decorations. It was all very elegant. The wait staff was attentive and quick to keep the place clean but the food was summed up by many as "not quite as good as airplane food".

All in all it was a wonderful location but in no way worth $179.00 per night.

• Stayed: March 2006
10  Thank worthwhilegirl
Maryland
Reviewed June 2, 2006

My family and I just spent a weeks vacation at the Sirata and was VERY impressed. The service, staff and beach location was PERFECT!~
Upon arrival the front desk staff was helpful and friendly and even called us in our room later to make sure everything was to our liking. I think all the rooms are being redecorated and we were lucky enough to get one of the new rooms. Very cool "beach" decor and the room was very clean. Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning (even with 3 kids!) everyday.

There are 3 pools but we pretty much stuck to the Rum Runners Pool since it was the largest and closest to the bar. Sunsets on the property are great in any location and we were just steps away from the beach. LOTS of sand, hammocks and a beach playground for the kids. We would rent a couple of beach cabannas and camp out for the day. Weather was sunny and the surf was calm - just what you imagine a perfect beach day should be.

The food at Sirata is pretty basic, burgers, fish, salads, etc., but good. There is a little store you can buy other items if you want to make lunch in your room (ours had a little kitchen).

The staff was very friendly, smiling and saying hi whereevery you walked. They really made us feel welcome and that goes a long way. I'd much rather stay at a basic hotel with above average service then the other way around.

Overall had a great experience and a vacation to remember. My daughter is still talking about the trip calling it "My Sirata" so I guess we'll be back next year. Can't wait!

• Stayed: May 2006