“Wish it was better”

Riverside Cafe
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Menu prices are wrong from years ago need to delete old prices.
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place is not what it use to be or could be unfortunately. Yes it's a tiny old end of road village in an idyllic spot on the river. The reality is however that since it's just 16 miles to Tallahassee, the closest water to town, and at the end of the bike trail from town; on nice weather weekends it is packed. Which somewhat spoils the mystic of a local hangout with local color. Consequently you can be prepared for a 2 hr. wait for very mediocre food, and I'm not exaggerating. There's T V blaring and music going, making it hard to enjoy the river's serenity. This past weekend we waited for 20 minutes for a waitress, tables were sticky dirty, 1.5 hrs later all we had were soft drinks. Many patrons were complaining. We we finally flagged down a waitress and tried to ask about our order she yelled back at us, we're crowded today, we're doing the best we can, I don't know when your order will be up. Not acceptable for any place calling itself a restaurant. One of the worst experiences we've had anywhere.

4  Thank buttondeb

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We went on a beautiful cool sunny day. That in itself made the whole experience worth the trip. The raw oysters were pretty good and we probably should have stuck with that. It wasn't that it wasn't fresh--it just didn't have much flavor. I would go back because it is so calm and serene and it really does have that "Old Florida" feel.

1  Thank 293peggyw
Reviewed January 13, 2014

It has become a family tradition to make the trip to St Marks and eat at this cafe when we visit the in laws. We visited during the Christmas holidays and dropped in for dinner. My wife and I saw on the dinner menu the 2 shrimp skewer blackened with bacon on a bed of rice and we couldn't resist. When the waitress brought it to the table, my heart sank. There was only one skewer of shrimp and they were small, quarter sized, and half the size I was expecting considering the plate cost $17.99, and there was no bacon! The waitress said the bacon was on the bottom. I turned the skewer over and you could barely see one paper thin, small strip of bacon stuck to the shrimp, and that's after my wife pointed it out to me. I couldn't see it! It melded to the shrimp and became transparent. I had to show the menu to the waitress that 2 skewers were part of the meal since she didn't know. They did bring out the second skewer for my wife and I but we were terribly disappointed in this paltry display. It appears as if they are cutting too many corners. The rice was mushy, and dad's hamburger patty was thin and not very tasty. It appeared as if they are cutting too many corners. We enjoyed our time spent with the family but this dinner gets a zero. Charge $5 bucks and pick it up at Mc Donald's and it would be worth it. Other items on the menu are good for bar food, but beware when ordering off the dinner menu. It's way over priced for what you get. The location is nice being on the river with the Seagulls and Pelicans on the boat dock, and the occasional boat passing by. The kids had fun on the dock. Next time we go we'll try something else. After all, it's a tradition, and the beer is always good.

3  Thank Wimpy69
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I love this place. It's hard to find the Old Florida John D. MacDonald took Travis McGee to in his great books but this is it. To sit on the St. Mark's river watching the boats come by, eating a killer grouper sandwich with slaw, fries and a cold beer is nothing short of magical for me. Anytime I'm near Tallahassee I head for the river.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

If you want a relaxing meal and enjoy a great view and a no hassle place this is for you. This is apparently frequented by the locals and people who fish in the area.
You will not need a suit and tie when you go here