“Great Family Getaway!”
Review of St George Inn

St George Inn
Reviewed April 5, 2013

After reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor I was a little hesitant to book a room at the St George Inn- but after talking with the innkeeper at some length I felt confident in staying at the Inn. We stayed 4 nights in the Coastal room which faces the Gulf- there is a building beside the Inn on that side but it didn't obstruct the view of the ocean- the room has its own balcony which was great! The room has a small living area, bedroom, bathroom and small kitchenette- it was perfect for 2 adults and a 12 year old. We didn't hear all the noises others complained about- but to be fair, we were on the opposite side of the Inn from the bar (located across the street) The t.v. was small (no big deal since we were there for the beach) only real complaint was no wifi on the gulf side- but we just walked around to the bay side and connected easily- I found the Inn to be charming but if you want luxury and room service- don't stay at the Inn. Our room was freshened up daily and we never had to ask for towels- there are book shelves inside on the second floor, filled with books available to borrow for beach reading- The Inn is centrally located and reasonably priced- I will recommend the Inn to family and friends. Happy travels!

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Gulf- stay on the 3rd floor- (coastal room) There are great views of the B...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank spaceykasey

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We very much enjoyed our six night stay at the historic St. George Inn...comfortable room and very friendly staff. The location is very convenient to the beach, restaurants and shopping. You really don't have to leave the island to get everything you could want.

Room Tip: Coral has a nice outdoor space to view the bay from the top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandy J
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Booked last minute room, 2 nights, for our family of 4 and our dog. Checked in after midnight. Queen bed for my wife and I and a pull out couch for the kids. Both mattresses had fleas. The pull out mattress was worn it was unsleepable. Kids end up in our bed where the fleas are eating us all now. would have left that evening if were not so late. Next day I told them I would not be staying the second night and I requested my money back. They told me they could not credit my card with a refund and if they approved my refund they would mail a check at a later date. They said the owner was the only one who could approve refund and he was out of the country for an extended period of time. I got his cell # from someone I knew on the island. Left many voice messages and he finially called back. He said he would get our details and call back. Never did. Finially got ahold of him again. He promised he would call back next day witha determination. Never did. 6 weeks of this was too much. Had to dispute charge with credit card. Hotel is old, dirty. Personnel is poorly trained. I could go on and on about what is wrong with this place, but just read the other reviews, it is amazing how close to our experience others have had. Please do not stay here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank 999disappointed
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the room named "Total Escape". This room we were later told, has the smallest bathroom. Small, OK, I can deal, but nasty, gross and moldy, I can not! (see photos of the shower stall) I felt like we had no privacy since there was another room directly across from our entry door, like 40 inches away. We looked around the whole place and some of the rooms on the upper floors are bigger and seem more private. There was also cat hair in our room, on the bed, etc. The one good thing about SGI Inn is that it is in a good location to walk everywhere on the island and close to the bridge to drive to Apalachacola. I would do my best to stay somewhere else. But if you have no other option, pick any other room than the "Total Escape"!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the top two floors
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank cubgirl65
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I, along with our 2 small dogs stayed at the St. George Inn for 2 weeks over Christmas & new Years. Moonwatch room with large bath was clean with new furnishings ( microwave, fridge, coffeemaker & TV and furniture). The music from Eddy Teach's Raw Bar across the street was loud but not loud enough to keep us awake. We actually enjoyed it.One of our dogs had to make an emergency afterhours (7:30 to 11:30 PM ) visit to the vet. Christina and her daughter Katie took care of the other dog for us.Christina ande Monda go beyound the call of duty to cater to you every wish.Unless you are looking for a Hilson Garden Inn or Sandals Resort type of place, you can"t go wrong with the St. George.

Chuck & Jane

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cwfj1
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the St. George Inn this past weekend. We were there for 3 nights. The room was wonderful. Comfy bed, nice, big room. Kristina and Mond treated us, and our dog Axel, like family. It's within walking distance to everything! We had an awesome stay, and have already reserved our same room for the chili cook off!!! Can't wait to go back'

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank RJones7161
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed there for a long weekend getaway. The building style resembles the 1900 to 1920s era. The room was clean having been recently updated. We stayed in the Coral suite. There are only two motels on the island and this one allows pets and the other one does not.
There are not any elevators so keep in mind if you want a third floor room with a view there are plenty of steps. A bar is located just across the street that plays loud live music, not a real problem in the off season but in season you need to be aware of this.
The rooms could benefit from additional sound insulation. More noise transmits between the walls than one would expect. Keep in mind you are staying at an Inn and not a motel or hotel with concrets or block between the rooms.
The current staff is very friendly and helpful with information about the area and with making your stay as pleasant as possible. If not for the current staff I would not give a four circle rating.
The Inn is in need of some maint., updating, and general repair.

Room Tip: The best scenery is on the north side facing the bay but so is the bar with the live music. The sout...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Apalachicola
Apalachicola River Inn
Apalachicola River Inn
#2 of 3 in Apalachicola

Been to St George Inn? Share your experiences!