“New Management, Things are improving, rates best in town for more than one person”

Lakeside Inn and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Saint Cloud B&B and Inns
Elkton, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

First of all, ignore all comments prior to 2013 or so, as they were under different management, the restaurant was open for 2 meals a day during the week, and three on Fridays and Saturdays, and the prices were lower. Now, however, under new management, the rooms have been updated. They all have fridge, microwave, and coffee maker with coffee provided every day, but NO HAIR DRYER. Bring your own if that is important to you. There were also no irons/ironing boards as was posted in older posts. Breakfast is served in the cafe daily, but that is the only meal, and personally, I did not think it was nearly as good as it could have been. That being said, however, the staff, Adam and Josie, and their children, are eager to please in every way. They can't fix what they do not know about. There is no smoking in any of the rooms, though there are plenty of places to sit and smoke outside. The view is spectacular, as everyone has said. Sunsets on the lake are absolutely beautiful. The inn is close to town, but in the middle of nowhere, serene and peaceful. There is no pool, and you cannot play or wade in the lake. The rooms are very basic but very clean and nice. The prices range from $60 to $125 per night, and from single, to double, to mini-suite, and master-suite. One wonderful advantage is that they do NOT charge extra for extra people. One person or four people, the charge is still $65 per night for a double room, which has one queen and one full size bed, small table with two chairs, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and separate bathroom with shower. There are no clocks or phones in the rooms, which I found strange; but I guess most people use their cell phones now anyway. If you are looking for a peaceful place to stay that won't hurt your pocket book, this is a nice, quaint little place and very reasonable for the money, clean, and the staff will do their best to make sure you are comfortable. We stayed in Room 5, which was a double room on the North side, next to the back door of the cafe. The full size bed made terrible creaking noises. (I forgot to tell Adam about this, and it didn't hinder my own sleep any.) The toilet did not want to flush, but the plunger did the trick. Having the cafe open for more than breakfast would be a great advantage for the inn, I think, but I will definitely stay here again. The nearest bait store is in St. Cloud in the shopping center next to Wendy's, but bait didn't help us catch any fish. We didn't see anyone catch anything from the dock, nor did we. We also walked down to the foot bridge just down the road a block or so, and had no luck there either. Bring your poles and give it a shot, and please post a comment if you have any better luck. I know there are fish in Alligator Lake, but I'm not so sure they come up close to the dock at the inn.

Room Tip: Parking is better on the south side (rooms 1-4) but that is the side of the mini-and master-suites...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Martha Deanie P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Ashland, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Adam and his family are the friendliest, most accommodating hosts we have ever had. We were there to attend my Mother in law's 75 birthday party. We used their screened deck on the water and it was great.Clean, comfortable rooms, peaceful, quiet and an awesome breakfast. We had the whole family there and nobody had a complaint .....we couldn't get that at the Hilton!

Room Tip: The rooms are all nice but they do have one with a lake view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank mbccci
Saint Cloud, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

As my husband and I read the other comments we questioned if they stayed at the same place we stayed. The dock was in deplorable condition. Even the "Owner" stated that he was not responsible for any injuries that might be occurred while walking the dock. The rooms, although appeared clean, were outdated. the mattresses were very old and the bed was squeaky. Nice new, upgraded sheets and mattress should be a top priority. The menu definitely needs a visit from Chef Gordan Ramsey.Too bad, the place has potential if under the right management. On the plus side, You couldn't beat the sunset on Alligator Lake.

Room Tip: Wait for the improvements before booking
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

When we first pulled into the parking lot, I gave my husband a look like I was going to kill him! I was expecting something a little more upscale based on the description my husband gave me. I was rude to the people running the inn who really turned out to be extremely nice and accommodating. They have recently started managing the property and are trying to make some changes. The room was simple but very clean. One suggestion to the owners would be to replace the mattresses and use better quality sheets and pillows. I slept horribly on an old squeaky mattress. Some of the pluses were the beautiful live oaks on the property that backs up to a lake. There is a large pier, screened in porch, picnic areas, boat launches and benches and chairs for outdoor activities. We sat outside and drank a bottle of wine with friends and in the end, I really enjoyed it.I didn't feel like I had to walk around on tip toes. Another suggestion for the owners would be pressure washing and fresh paint on the exterior and some updated landscaping. Again, once I let my guard down a little and relaxed, it turned out to be a pleasant experience.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dora C
Odenton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I found the Lakeside Inn to be extremely comfortable, the location was great (right on the lake), the rooms were very clean and newly refurbished, the beds were very comfortable, the TV was bigger than I expected, the amount of channels available was excellent and the showers were good. It is family owned and run, they were a pleasure to talk with and were always very helpful, we've signed up for a week again next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ron H
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at the Lakeside Inn for two nights. It was sweet, clean, rustic and delightful. The lake view is beautiful. The first night I sat out on the deck to watch the sun set as well as a storm come in over the lake. In a word: Awsome. The next morning I watched the fog lift to become a beautiful day.
We didn't have time to go out on a boat. Next time.
The food and service was great too.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Pamela G
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I do business in this area, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this place. I stay here a few days every month now. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with microwave, refrigerator, WiFI, and TV, with window AC/heat units, tile floors, and cinderblock walls. There is a screened-in picnic area with a fireplace on the shore by the dock The couple that runs the place treat me like family, and make me breakfast to order in the morning before I go to work. The room rates are cheaper than anything on I-95. But what really sells this place is the natural setting, with the boat launch, boat dock, and beautiful sunsets across Alligator Lake. There are always ducks walking around, and last month there was a kitten who was very shy. I brought my kayak on one stay. I love to sit out on the dock and watch the sunset when I get back from work.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Saratoga Resort Villas
Polynesian Inn
Polynesian Inn
#3 of 4 in Saint Cloud

Been to Lakeside Inn and Cafe? Share your experiences!