“Beach is great - hotel not so much” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach

Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Seattle, Washington
“Beach is great - hotel not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

My stay was a trial run for a 2 month extended stay in the area for business. Being close to Spring Break it has been difficult finding local extended stay options.

My first experience with the hotel was with their sales department who gave me the run around and did not perform on promises they had made. I booked a room for my boss a couple weeks earlier for a meeting, and they had not given us the discounted rate agreed upon - they did not rectify the situation. I overlooked it thinking this is Hilton Garden Inn and not a precursor for what was to come.

At check-in, my reservation was also incorrect despite 5+ phone calls to the sales team and General Manager prior to arrival. The desk clerk was hospitable and did not give me a hard time about correcting the rate. I was however downgraded to a 2 double bed room on the first floor. I did get my bottled drinking water though-see below for why.

Room is average and I would say very below average for a Hilton Garden Inn. There is a slight mildew smell in the hotel. I assumed it was 'beach' smell until I saw the bathroom. Bathroom had mildew growing for some time in the corners of the tub along with a fungus growing on the ceiling. Water runs a bit brown and you can see the staining in the tub. Toilet ran slow too with what I hope was water stains.

New towels were in the room - unfortunately they were so new that they left lint all over you after you showered. But you can't complain about new towels.... Room was ok - standard with a microwave and mini-fridge.

I understand it is the busy season at the beach so I expected families and possibly roudy neighbors. No one was being obnoxius at the hotel however I could hear every word of my neighbors conversation with their child next door - not muffled, every word! Thank goodness I didn't have loud neighbors!

As others have said, breakfast is $8.95. Don't expect a free breakfast - that is pretty standard at this branch of hotel.

Beach access is just across the street - love the beach but will have to find another place that delivers on affordability and cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Explorer_Gene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

My husband & I stayed at the hotel for an anniversary getaway weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The rooms are very nice! I had arranged ahead of our arrival to have a fruit & cheese tray delivered to our room. The hotel is in a fantastic location! You can walk to many attractions including the fort and St. Georges Street. Our room overlooked the harbor and the Bridge of Lions. The front desk help was very pleasant. The valets were friendly and attentive. Joe even offered us some great ideas for dining. The breakfast buffet was delicious.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelgrlFlorida
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife and I were both suprised that Hilton let their name be on this hotel. It definately did not live up standard that our past Hilton experiences have given us.

The Bad:
-It was not worth the 150 a night that we paid. I would say this is hotel is marginally better than a HoJo/Days Inn.

-The hotel layout is awful. Only 1 guest entrance that happens to be right next to the maid's stations. Don't go here looking for an ocean view (of course we knew this going in, but apparently from the other reviews, everyone does not). 1 elevator services the entire hotel so there can be a pretty good hike depending on where your room is

-The draps do not close. yes you heard right - they do not close. terrible design, there is mesh drape that closes, but not the solid. So, I hope you're not planning on sleeping in!

-Breakfast not included (take that into consideration when pricing)

-The bedding was in bad shape for being a relatively new hotel. the comfortor had literal clumps of stuffing throughout.

-paint peeling off the wall in our room

The Good

-The bathroom was extremely clean

... and thats about it.

• Liked — clean bathroom
  • Disliked — hotel design
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank frogmandf
Miami, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed just for 1 night on this hotel, and it almost ruins all our plans to visit the wonderful Saint Augustine city.
Between the good things we can say that the price of 227.00 for a run for 6 people is fair, if everything would be perfect in the room. Also the hotel looks pretty new and it is next to everything, next to the beach and you can reach the downtown in a few minutes.
I think is the lack of personnel that creates little inconveniences in the hotel:
1. - Dust in a lot of areas. Even in the tables of the lobby area.
2. - 2 of our pillow cases had a bad smell; we don’t think they replaced them.
3. - They didn’t replace one of the sheets in one of the beds. At the time we realized of that (very late at night), we didn’t have energy to ask for replacement.
4. - My daughter use the Jacuzzi and when the jets were turned on, some black stuff came spewing out of the holes. Totally gross!
5. - The hotel don’t have any attractive, not even a lobby bar or a mini-bar in the room.
6. - No silverware in the kitchen. You suppose to bring everything if you want to cook something inside the room.

We won't be back there

• Liked — Hotel New and Good Location.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and lack of attractives
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank RamonReig
lakeland, florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2008

Great service, nice room, great price, great check in and check out experience, overall, We will be back for sure.

• Liked — location, price, and service
  • Disliked — jacuzzi did not work our entire stay.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loriwlove
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

Booked this hotel on arrival in St Augustine Beach area having been quoted a ludicrous rate across the street at the Hampton Inn and Suites. $89 dollars compared to $149. Stayed two nights and have no cause for complaint. Breakfasts good value by UK standards at $8.95 and particularly appreciated free use of Internet in the Business Centre. Ideal location if you are touring the area and do not need to spend all day in or around your hotel room.

• Liked — Location near beach
  • Disliked — Sound proofing could be better
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DiscerningTourist
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

I have stayed in this hotel several times b/c I have conferences up there quite often. In other times that I have gone to this motel I have noticed that it has been pretty run down, but...when I went in July (although I was dreading it) I was pleasantly surprised. They have upgraded all the furniture, put new carpet in, new mattresses, new pillows, everyything. Although I know a lot of these are comsmetic changes...what do we really use a hotel for...to sleep in and that is about it. I really think they are trying and I give them a hand in trying to do so. I hope they continue improving each time I go. I also realize that this hotel has been there since 1930's so sometimes you just have to give a little. Besides the location can't be beat!

• Liked — The location and the upgrades
  • Disliked — Still improving
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business