“Comfortable Choice at St. Augustine Beach”

Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Raleigh, NC
“Comfortable Choice at St. Augustine Beach”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I had a seminar at this hotel recently. I have stayed at a number of HGI's around the country and prefer them for a reason. This one had very accommodating staff and a great location. This is the first time I have stayed at an HGI that there was mildew around the caulking in the bathroom. I own a beach cottage and understand the problems with high humidity, but bleach can take care of most. Aside from that one item I think that this hotel was along the line of most HGI's, it seems to be a little older and has some things that may not be up to par, but the room was fine (I had a double), the restaurant facilities were good, the reception area was clean and the meeting spaces were clean and comfortable. The pool area was clean and the grounds were well tended. I just didn't find all the problems that other recent reviewers found. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try the second floor towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tvkelly
Trisha D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
I really appreciate your taking the time to share both your positive experience at with the staff and the disappointment you experienced with the condition of your bathroom. I am so sorry you found issues with your bathroom. I can assure you that is not the standard in our hotel. We work hard to make sure our housekeepers and engineers keep each and every guest room and bathroom clean and well maintained, and again I apologize. I hope you consider staying with us again. We’d love to have you as our guest to ensure you have the best travel experience ever.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Since we have family in town we have stayed at this hotel multiple times since it first opened. This latest stay started as very disappointing - diry room that smelled bad. We called the front desk late on the first night and she offered to move us which we chose not to do due to the late hour. In the morning we went to the front desk and the manager, Trisha, offered to show us alternate rooms and apologized for the problems. We moved to another room and were very pleased with the alternate room that met our expectations of previous stays.

Overall, this beachside hotel needs updating and maintenance on some rooms, but our issues were promptly and properly addressed and we ended up with a nice room that meeted our expectations from previous experiences.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Largo, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Clean but could have been cleaner. You can tell the place was old, but they have kept it in decent shape. Room was spacious, bed was big and comfy, but no balcony. You are across the street from the beach which is close and nice, but would prefer to have a balcony so I could have enjoyed the outdoor view. There is a hotel across the street (Hampton Inn) that is ON the beach and seemed nicer. Breakfast food prepared at hotel was poor- worst omelette and bacon Ive ever had. Staff was fairly nice but just seemed unprofessional. Pool was small and not so clean. Would not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Trisha D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for providing insight on your recent experience with our breakfast I sincerely apologize that the food was not the quality expected and we are taking your recommendation to improve our offerings. We have also addressed our staff in regards to the level of professionalism that you witnessed. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you received while you were here. Our maintenance and housekeeping teams are working to correct the issues that you mentioned as well. We look for reviews to provide insight, so I certainly appreciate your feedback. The next time you are in the area we would love for you to stop back again. Thank you.
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I am a diamond level member of hilton and therefore get the best rooms. The staff was friendly and the common areas were nice although the carpets needed vacuumed. My biggest issue is the condition of the room. The bathtub had a lot of mold and the widowsill had lots of damage. The floor of the bathroom looked like it needed mopped but i actually tried to clean it with a wet washcloth and i guess it was stained because it looked the same afterward. This is not the standards that hilton usually adheres to. Disappointing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank epfan4evr
Trisha D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that you encountered an opportunity with the cleanliness of your guest room and bathroom, I sincerely apologize for this. These are two of the areas that we are very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.
New Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband & I enjoyed 2 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn. The General Manager, Trisha Dombrowski was spot on with our room accomodations & a pleasure to do business with. Upon arrival we were greated by Hector, he had welcoming smile & was quick & informative when we checked in.
This hotel is in a great location, miles of magnificent beach across the street. Right next door, Sunset Grill. We sat outside on the upper level to enjoy our fabulous food & terrific drinks. The evening was very enjoyable & relaxing after a day of tours & shopping downtown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anny l
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Excellent location across the street from the beach and our family enjoyed staying here while in St Augustine Beach. Hotel staff was friendly, helpful and accomodating. Rooms were clean and well appointed. It was nice having a laundary facility to use to wash and dry our swimsuits and beach towels. My girls loved the fresh baked cookies and lemonade in the lobby each afternoon after the swim in the pool. Would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

If you are a Hilton Diamond VIP member & want to spend over one hour checking in because the clown on the front desk can't find your reservation, & then have some stranger walk into your room with a duplicate key whilst you're in the shower - stay here! This rude and arrogant dimwit on the front desk said there were no rooms available, and that the hotel was full, and refused to give me my room despite being a Diamond VIP member where the hotel is OBLIGATED to find you a room - in any event. After a series of phonecalls which took over one hour, he begrudgingly but miraculously found a room once the reservation had been discovered.

Therefore I really don't at all get the pro reviews here. This place is a joke - period. The worst Hilton EVER in my experience and I've stayed in scores of them around the globe. I've never been treated with such disdain and lack of privacy. To have a stranger walk into your room is totally unforgivable - and a breach of security. Another colleague, who was staying there also was given a key to another room which was already occupied!

The pool was grubby, dark green mold, rooms tatty etc...I could go on, but it's likely to get boring. In a nutshell - do yourself a big favor and find another hotel!

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank asiageof
Trisha D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. Since your reservation was made as part of a group contract the hotel has been in contact with the group travel agent to discuss your stay. Please feel free to contact me personally at the hotel to discuss this matter further. The hotel phone number is 904-471-5559.

Trisha Dombrowski