“First weekend in May”

Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The hotel is close to the Atlantic, 300ft or so. The rooms show a little wear, what you would expect from a beach hotel. The staff was nice. Good restaurant across the street. Within approximately 3 miles of the old town and fort.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank McRae127

Reviewed May 2, 2014

The beach behind this hotel is beautiful, with fine sand (and expensive umbrellas and chairs for rent). The only reason to pick this hotel is for the beach - the hotel is medicore, with a breakfast room that is too small to hold all the guests in the morning, staff that are pleasant but not terribly helpful, and high prices. This section of town has strip malls and hotels.

I paid $220 for a basic room not on the beach side - it was a Saturday night at the end of April. I decided to spend the next night in town (a Sunday night) and they quoted me the same $220 price at the front desk, even though online the hotel itself was selling rooms for $165 per night. The girl at the front desk was willing to try to find me a better price, but I was not happy with their policies and spend the night elsewhere.

The Hampton at Vilano beach is a nicer hotel for less money, although it is only across the street from a public beach, which allows cars to park on the beach, so it's not as beautiful or restful as some beacher.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Anne E
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I booked the room thru Travelocity. I noted that I had 4 adults, and needed an handicap accessible room as I had my 83 yr old Mom with me. I requested a room with Ocean-view and a balcony and with the price I paid, I thought this was what I was getting. When we arrived at the hotel around 2 pm on check-in day, the gentleman checking us in, who I believe his name was David,said that our room was on the 3rd floor. I knew all the handicap rooms were on the 1st, as this was what I was told when I made the reservations. David said that all the handicap rooms in this hotel only have one bed and no pull out couch, nothing else to accommodate my son and his friend who were traveling with us. I questioned how this could happen as it was known at the time of reservation that I had 4 people. He proceeded to tell me that there was nothing they could do because I booked it thru travelocity. We ended up being placed on the 3rd floor, facing A1A, could not see or even smell the beach at all and no balcony, no view. To add insult they did not place us in a room close to the elevators, but our room was half way down the hall on the 3rd floor. If there was a fire in the hotel, I would not been able to get my Mom out of there. In the pictures on the website for the hotel they had a boardwalk that went out to the beach, which I thought was great as I knew my Mom could go out with us in her wheelchair. I was told that the boardwalk was recently taken down and they had pavers which lead part of the way to the beach, but ended at a sand-dune that you had to climb over to get to the beach. There was no way to get out there without crossing this dune. The room was very small unlike any other Hampton that I stayed at before and the air conditioning did not work very well as the room was quite warm despite the hall being very cool. The over all conditions of the hotel were of Hampton quality, clean, comfortable beds, breakfast was good, etc. Later in the evening David said to me that he was glad that they could accommodated us, and to me it was a slap in the face as they really did nothing to accommodate us. We had to make the best of a bad situation as we were out of town and there was nothing else that we could do. Hampton didn't offer anything. It was very disappointing and ruined our Spring Break vacation. The price was extremely high which I was willing to pay if I could have even seen the beach, but that was not the case. Lastly, the pool is very small, I believe my pool at home is about the same size if not a little larger. I would not return to this hotel. I not a fan of giving bad reviews, however when I went to the website for the Hamptons', they allow you 200 characters to state your complaint. If that tells you about how much they care or want to hear any negative feedback.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Linda G
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have not a single complaint. But much praise. This place was great. Staff wonderful. Room wonderful and clean and my view? Wonderful. Everything was perfect. The best free breakfast. The best coffee. The staff was incredible. I don't know what else to say. Perfect, perfect, perfect!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Originally I thought the price was a little high for a Hampton Inn but after staying there, I feel the price was a good value. They honored our request to be on the 3rd or 4th floor since we paid for an ocean view & the reviews had indicated that you needed to be on 1 of those 2 floors to truly see the ocean. We were on a corner unit on the 3rd floor & had an ocean view. Housekeeping honored any requests we made & the rooms were always cleaned to satisfaction & plenty of towels left. The front desk was pleasant & eager to honor any requests. Kerry, the house manager was always cleaning & asking if he could do anything for us. The continental breakfast was always well stocked. It seemed like a lot of choices for a continental breakfast that's included. Personally I'm happy with a yogurt, cereal or piece of fruit, coffee & juice & they had plenty of all of that plus additional offerings. Beds were comfortable & pool area was nice with plenty of seating & bathrooms right there by the pool. No need to go inside although there was also bathrooms right inside the door as well. The only thing that we were disappointed in was the pillows. I was using 3 & still felt like they were flat. The pool towels provided were tiny so I would suggest just bringing your own beach/pool towel. We were glad we did.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms on the 3rd floor. A corner unit on each end. It was pool side because we requested oc...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The views from this hotel were great. It was in walking distance to many good restaurants and the beach access was very good. My only complaint was that cell phone service was spotty in the hotel and the wifi left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Deborah N
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is our favorite Hampton Inn by far. We have stayed at many. It is always immaculate and the staff are very friendly. The pool is always clean and so is the hot tub. The pool area is clean and so is the laundry room and restroom. It is a short walk down the path and you are on the beach, which is the best beach in Florida, in my view. The beach is clean and not overcrowded. There is plenty to do in St Augustine and there is transport into the cobbled stone historic area at the hotel, which I have never used. The hotel is located right across the street from the Sunset Grill, which in my opinion, is the best food in St Auggie..... another reason we always stay at this hotel. It is slightly overpriced, but we have never had a bad experience here. I hope this helps. PS_ if you go to the Sunset Grill- make sure it is not during peak dining hours or you will wait hours for a table.

Room Tip: It did not matter to us that we do not have the ocean view rooms...... you literally walk out of the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family