“Not Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Not Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

I can tell this hotel was not originally a Hampton Inn. It is a bit more unique than your typical cookie cutter Hampton. It appears to be a slightly older property than most Hampton Inns. However, it is maintained very nicely and kept clean. All in all, we enjoyed our stay.

Our room was on the oceanfront side on the first floor. We could not see the water from our room, but the friendly front desk staff offered to let us move to another room (on a higher floor) the next night. The lack of a view didn't bother us, so we decided to keep the original room. It was convenient that we could just throw our luggage straight onto the balcony instead of lugging it down the hallways to the elevator.

The room itself was decent. My least favorite feature was the small size. The furniture was dated and a bit bulky for such a small area. Even though the room was slightly cramped, it was perfectly acceptable. Not to mention, it was free since we booked this stay as a Hilton Honors Rewards stay. For the price, it was excellent!

One thing that boggled my mind was that the inside hallways were about twice as wide as an ordinary hotel hallway. The extra space was filled with tropical plants. This looked very nice and was cool/different, but I think the space would have been put to better use if it had been part of the room itself. Check out my pictures to see what I mean.

Another thing I wondered about was the fact that they had the laundry room in the little house by the pool! I would rather see a concession stand or something besides a boring laundry room on prime oceanfront real estate. Also, other reviewers have noted that random beachgoers who are not staying at the Hampton Inn use the pool. This is true. They also use the parking lot and no one with the hotel cares! I had to drive around for ten minutes one night looking for a place to park.

As far as the service here goes, both the front desk staff and continental breakfast staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was just your standard continental breakfast and every day it was packed with the usual bratty kids standing in the way, etc (not that Hampton Inn can help that!).

The breakfast area was kind of small, but they open up the nearby conference room for extra seating. Also, in the evenings, they put out freshly baked cookies in the breakfast area! I thought this was a really nice touch! Coffee and tea were available 24/7.

If I found myself at St. Augustine Beach again, I would most likely return to this hotel.

• Liked — Decent Location, Cookies in Lobby
  • Disliked — Small Room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank quesoreina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

My family stayed here for just two nights. We didn't want to leave. The rooms were great and the balcony was fabulous. We actually saw a bird's nest in the Palm Tree near our balcony and a dove sitting on an egg. It was so serene here and lots of nature. There were ducks on our grass and lots of seashells and starfish on the gorgeous beach.The lady at the front desk helped us with information about St. Augustine. We took the Ripley's Red Train Sightseeing Tour and it was great. The Breakfast Staff and Cleaning Staff were so friendly and helpful to us. Wonderful Laundry area, clean and air conditioned. Great Pool too. I will come back some day and recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family.

• Liked — The view from our Balcony
  • Disliked — The eggs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
WPB, Florida,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

We just returned from a 4 day trip at the Hampton Inn on St. Augustine Beach and had a wonderful time.We were a little concerned about the reviews and have always tried to stay at hotels in tripadvisors top 10 (Hampton Inn was 13) but decided to give it a try and we are so happy that we did! The location is perfect and from what we saw this is definitely the nicest hotel DIRECTLY on the beach. The rooms were clean and spacious and the front desk was always helpful and polite. Free continental breakfast each morning was served with a smile.The pool was cleaned each morning and there was always someone cleaning the main areas.Just be careful if you rent beach chairs because you will have to hunt the man down to return your change.Overall a wonderful experience and we will definitely be back !!

• Liked — Location on the beach
  • Disliked — pool size was a little small
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

At the check-in time, the front desk coordinator was very rude with us. First she could not give us the type of room we had requested and then she gavue a bad attitude. Nonetheless, we tried to move on and enjoy our stay. When we got home, I received the survey about how was our stay. Indeed, I expressed that the stay in general was okay, but that the staff was a bit rude. But it could not stop there!!! the following day, the front office manager sent me a personal email stating that they had cameras and that she saw in the videos that nobody had been rude to us!!!! she also stated that we should not come back to that property and many other inappropriate comments that should not be sent to any guest at all. It was total nightmare. We were looking for a nice and relaxing vacation, but it ended up in a total nightmare. It seemed they had no experience in hospitality. I have been about two weeks with this problem!!!! what a vacation.

• Liked — the room was pretty nice!
  • Disliked — the customer service provided by the front desk and front desk manager
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank samantica
tampa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2008

We spent a wonderful weekend in St. Augustine and stayed at Hampton Inn on the beach. The service was excellent but the hotel itself REALLY needs to be updated! The rooms are old and tired. You have to watch when walking out to the balony that you dont trip and hurt yourself because of the sliding glass door the bottom frame sticks way up! When you are walking down the hall you can clearly hear people in their rooms talking etc. For the price you pay it is not worth it and seeing that Hilton owns Hampton Inns you would think they would come off some of those millions and fix the place up! Would I stay there again? NO, mainly because it is not worth what they are charging. We paid almost 200 per night and it was worth half of that.

D.S. Tampa, FL

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank dswantampa
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2008

Stayed here for one night, experience started out by front desk hostess not saying 'hello' but saying 'well nothing is ready yet' that pretty much summed up how the front desk treats you. The good news is, the rooms are very nice and clean, property is well maintained, would definately stay here again. The rest of the staff is SUPER nice, housekeepers, breakfast room workers, etc etc were always saying hello and smiling. The three front desk hostesses we encountered never said hello or smiled at us coming or going or when we needed help. Would have given this hotel an above average rating if front desk was nicer

• Liked — very clean, good food across the street, nice beach access
  • Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

After having read some of the rosy reviews, I am wondering if we stayed at the same Hampton Inn? No doubt that the beach location deserves accolades. But I suspect that the beach allure may have obscured the obvious problems with this hotel. For the negatives: The place is old and in serious need of upgrades. Everywhere I looked, there was evidence of aging - rust, worn frames, carpeting, etc.. We walked into our room and were greeted by an overwhelming perfume smell from a cleaning agent. The smell never left the room. I noted that the door did not close all the way - you had to manually close it. I noted that the drapes to the balcony was ripped. (The balcony rendered a beautiful view of the ocean.) I noted that when I used the stairs to descend to the lobby, the worn carpeted steps were dirty, I thought that some children may have dropped food carrying it to their room but it was still there the next day. This place was horribly kept throughout. There was poor water pressure in the bathroom. My AC unit konked out during the night and we never did get it going again.l But the worst dilemma I came across was the bed. The mattresss was not only out of date - it was alive! I didn't sleep a bit that night. We had planned on staying for 2 nights but that was the straw that broke this camel's back. And almost directly across the street is a Hilton Garden's facilitiy that looks pretty new - I wished I had booked there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple