“Great hotel!”

Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach
ky
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a great hotel! In St Augustine Beach hotels are ocean side not oceanfront but you can see the ocean. Hotel is clean with friendly staff. Multiple choices for breakfast and fresh cookies every evening. Trolley stops at hotel and two restaurants across the street which were both very good. Nice pool and hot tub, also playground for the kids! Will stay here again if we return to St Augustine beach. The beds were the most comfortable beds I have slept in at a hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

TERRIBLE. These people do not know how to manage a hotel. The Hilton name should be embarrassed.

I would have thought staying on the beach in St. Augustine would have been peaceful and nice. This was definately the worst Hampton Inn I've stayed in. Terrible customer service at check in, it took 15 minutes while the one guy on staff (Robert) fumbled his way through key problems, switching rooms for people, and answering the phone, always interrupting my check-in to talk with people calling up for reservations, and angry people who were mad that the hotel was going to be closed for renovations. He messed up my tax excempt status as well, and after getting back to the office, I had to call the manager twice-and still it took over a day to correct, with me having to fax over tax exempt forms, talk with other people, etc. Very unprofessional. I am a Hilton Honors member as well- and in my profile I ask specifically not to be booked next to an elevator. Sure enough, the head of my bed shared the wall with the back of the elevator. I called and asked Robert to move me and he said he didnt have any other rooms available because of the construction that were the same rate, so he woldn't give me a beach view room, only one that looked out into the parking lot, with no balcony). (Half the hotel was empty, by the way).

Now let me get to the rooms- I don't think a 3 million dollar renovation can fix this one. Unless they totally gut it and re-do everything, this property is not the same standard as the nice new Hampton Inns I always stay inn. My light in my bathroom didnt work, the hallways and doors and paint were all dingy, dirty, stained, etc. The elevator made horrible noises every time the door opened and closed (safe?). Thin walls, loud hallways, doors that slam so loudly you get woken up. Maybe the beach room views are better, but mine was very poor quality.

The biggest prblem I have with this hotel is the very enept staff. Although tax exempt, and assured by Robert upon check out I would not be charged taxes, I was. No other Hampton Inn I stay at has this issue when I present my tax exempt ID and credit card with tax exempt # on it, and tax ID form. I get back to the office and find I have been chared taxes. It has taken me two days to resolve this, and it still isn't resolved. I spoke with Manger Tim Burnnet- he said he would take care of it and call me back yesterday (we are closing out our fiscal year and need to get this taken care of immediartely). He never called back. The next day I spoke with Nicole. She appologized, said Robert was a trainee. and would take care of it.She asked me to sned the tax exempt form in. I did. Then she called me back and said I needed to "photocopy the front of my credit card and fax it to her." When I informed her that that was against federal travel regulations (to photocopy the front of the credit card) and we are forbidden to do so, she said "I guess nothing is going to please you!" and said she was forwarding my call elsewhere and basically hung up on me by forwarding my call to someone's voice mail.

I then had to spend 30 minutes of my time taking this up with corporate. All in all,4 phone calls, a fax, and having to call corporate, and about 2 hours of my time, it finally got resolved.

So, if you want your blood to boil over incompetency, if you want to feel like being a devoted Hilton Honors member is meaningless, if you want to stay in a run-down third-rate hotel, by all means, this is your place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kristin K, Manager at Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. I have addressed these issues with our staff and we don’t see this issue being repeated in the future. Again, I apologize for all of the inconveniences that you experienced. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments
Valdosta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Overall, this hotel is excellent. It is the best in St. Augustine Beach. However, we did have one major complaint. The hotel could have informed us before we booked that their beach access was closed. If we had known that, we would have picked a different location with beach access.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MOTHEROFTRAVLERSON
Kristin K, Manager at Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I just wanted to say thanks for your recent stay here at our hotel! I’m so glad you were able to experience our warm Hamptonality. Our beach access has been open for weeks and is currently open for our guests. We hope to see you soon.
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I are Floridians and we took a much needed break to St. Augustine. We had a wonderful stay and great accomodations. Within an hour of arriving, we received a call from the front desk making sure that our room was ok. The room was very clean and what we expected. The hotel staff was friendly and wanting to help in any way. The beach was beautiful and the breakfast was wonderful to take with us. Homemade cookies in the evening were great and you could smell them throughout the hotel. MMMMM good! The hotel is undergoing some renovations but nothing got in our way or bothered us. Overall, it was a great time and we were very happy.

Room Tip: Our room was on the end beachside and it was very quiet. Perfect for us.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve L
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our vacation to St. Augustine Beach was very enjoyable thanks to staying at this Hampton Inn. None of the hotels in this area on directly on the beach, but this hotel is beachside and provides a walkway to the beach, which other hotels do not. The room was very clean and spacious. We had a balcony on ocean side and yes, we did see the ocean. We were on the third floor, so request a higher floor for great ocean views. We could watch the surfers surfing and a great sunrise.

Breakfast was plentiful. Eggs, a meat or potatoes, waffles, cereal, fruit, yogurt, sweets, and much more. Great variety.

Staff was very helpful. We arrived early and they had our room ready. They helped with directions and were very inviting. There is a restaurant across the street that was very good as well. I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples or families.

Room Tip: Request an beachside room on floors 3-4.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank akerr8787
Orange Park, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Average room in close proximity to the beach. Shuttle is available to get you to and from Downtown. Get the ocean view room if available, It makes all the difference. No frills just clean accommodations that you come to expect with the Hampton chain.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David N
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

My room was clean with a comfy bed. I was on the ocean side with sliders, a balacony and a fabulous view of the beach. The area has many options for dining and shopping and of course beach walks.
It also includes a nice breakfast. Another nice touch is the breakfast to go bags if you don't have time to eat.

Room Tip: If you want it to be quiet you may want to request a room away from the pool if you are on the ocean...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business