“stay far away”

Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
wa
“stay far away”
Reviewed July 14, 2007

We had a night stay after a week in a rental, this was the closest to my sister's home. It was absolutely disgusting. Sure the staff may be friendly and if they put their time into cleaning it would be a great idea. The cocktail lounge was gross. The whole place is in shambles. The porches were a hazard and you can't use them as the hot air from the airconditioner blows right on you. Seriously, I would not recommend this hotel for any reason.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the entire experience
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank travelorwa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Arrived in a rainstorm for the 4th of July weekend. The hotel was beachfront, and our room had an amazing view of the ocean, but that's where the good stuff ends. The hotel is old and in need of an overhaul. Beige, dingy paint and lackluster decor. The bathroom was grubby, and not entirely clean. There was a wash cloth left in the shower curtain from a previous guest.

At 3:00 a.m., my husband and I were awoken to the sound of falling water – it was coming from the ceiling, directly onto the bed! My husband made several attempts to call the front desk with no answer, and we tried to catch one of the leaks with our ice bucket. At 4:00 a.m. we finally contacted the desk, and were told hat no one from maintenance was on shift yet, but we could come down and "get some buckets" to catch the water "if we wanted to." By morning, the entire left bottom side of the bed was soaking wet. As was my bathrobe that had somehow landed on the floor.

Maintenace came at 9:00 and the front desk assured us we'd have another room when one was ready. We got one at 2:00 that afternoon, but the new room also had a wet rug! Apparently the Holiday Inn St. Augustine Beach needs to consider a roof repair!

The front desk staff was cheerful and efficient as was everyone else we came in contact with including maintenance and housekeeping. Customer service was excellent, but this hotel is a wreck! They need to completely overhaul the place to compete with some of the nicer hotels we've stayed at in the area.

• Liked — Ocean front, terrific view from the room
  • Disliked — Leaking ceiling, grubby bathroom, dingy decor
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank tampafloridatraveler

Travelers are raving about these Saint Augustine Beach hotels

Radnor
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I have done a good bit of traveling over the years and I must say that this was one of my best stays ever. The staff was consistantly helpful and pleasant. They took very good care of me and when I had a request, it was immediately taken care of.

My room was beautifully taken looked after on a daily basis, any questions I had were answered. Referrals to restaurants were given and believe me they were great referrals. For instance "The Villa Santa Monica" was a wonderful experience.

I will return to this hotel only, as it made my vacation even better then I thought it would be.

• Liked — Hotel Staff and Beach
  • Disliked — I was not dissatisfied in any way at all
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Staugustine1
Cocoa, FL
Reviewed May 10, 2007

Upon walking in I was amazed at how rude the Front Desk girl was. She barely looked at us and practically threw our keys at us. Our room smelled horrible and the "Patio" was a scary sight. Our bathtub was dirty and mildewey everywhere.
We told the Front Desk who said there was nothing they could do about it. They were sold out (I found this hard to believe because we barely saw abother soul while we stayed).

The next day we went down to breakfast. My food was wrong so I sent it back. I could clearly hear the waitress calling me vulgar names to the cook. How rude.

Finally our battery died on our third day. The Front Desk said they could not supply us with jumper cables or a car to jump off of, it was against the rules. Like I said earlier the Hotel was like a ghost town, so there was no other guests to ask for assistance. They couldn't even give us a suggestion of who to call. we finally called AAA (which we now belong to) and they took care of it, at a large cost...

While we had waited for AAA we asked for an idea on where to order food. Why did I bother after my previous problems? They couldn't even tell me who locally delivered pizza!!!

We were due to stay another two nights. We left. I couldn't stand the smell, or the service any longer.

• Liked — Location on the Beach
  • Disliked — Absolutely everything else
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank quennethe
Gainesville FL
Reviewed April 2, 2007

Very friendly and accomdating staff. Nice redo of an older property that did not show wear with the recent updates.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank lgoble
Huntersville, NC
Reviewed March 5, 2007

I have been in the hotel business for over 10 years and have never encountered a staff as friendly as this one. Every employee we ran into greeted us. Several that we met in the elevator lobby inquired about our stay and wished us a pleasant one. Pedro from Housekeeping was especially friendly & helpful. The guest room was very clean and well-maintained. Although some of the decor is showing some wear (carpet), the linen was fresh, no hair, dust, etc. was seen. This property would be a good location for anyone traveling to the area with a desire to be near the beach.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank LisaMarieinNC
South Carolina
Reviewed February 19, 2007

My family has stayed here a couple of times, even through renovations, the staff was friendly, the pool area clean, and access to the beach is perfect. The rooms are good size, and clean.
Good place when traveling w/ dogs. But I would stay elsewhere if not for my pets.
The down side on our last stay was there was no security for the pool deck and we had to put up w/ drunks hanging at the pool at night. They really need to keep a check on what's going on at the pool area at night.

All in all, I don't think of this hotel as a dump, so I give it 2 1/2 stars.

Stayed February 2007