“The Salvation Army Homeless Shelter is nicer!”

Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Upon arrival I was met by a foul odor in the lobby. And upon entering our room I was shocked! The room was horrible! The pictures on the website showed a totally different room! This room looked nothing like the pictures on any of the websites I looked at before booking our trip. The wallpaper was coming off the walls, the furniture looks like it came from the dump, mildew on the window treatments, the balcony looks like it is hanging on for dear life, and could the bathroom be any smaller? The smell is outrageous! When I contacted the manager it was "but you didn't book an upgraded room". I guess a hair dryer is an upgrade! I was also told I was paying for beach access and not the room. The management is not concerned with the guest experience. Do not stay here! You will be very disappointed!!!!! There are no towels for the pool. The whole place is very old!!!!! Stay at the Hampton or the homeless shelter. I am sure the homeless shelter is nicer than this place!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 20, 2010

Like others, after reading some of the other reviews I was concerned about the hotel and the condition it was in. But, we figured it's a Holiday Inn, and you pretty much can't go wrong with a national chain that has to answer to a corporate.
All in all, we were very happy with our stay. The room was very clean, beds super comfy, and housekeeping spot on with what we needed. Did we get a room with a view of the ocean? No, but that's my fault. When I called back after making my initial reservations, and expressed my wants of a view of the ocean, they were happy to upgrade our room to a partial view of the ocean at no extra cost. They were booked for full views. Our room turned out just fine.
Our package included a $20 voucher for breakfast each morning of our stay. Since we have kids (that eat for free) that meant our whole family got free breakfast each morning. We are big breakfast eaters, so that was a big money saver for us. The breakfast buffet was great. Food was hot and well varied. Sometimes ran out of an item, but you only have to mention to a server, and presto! It's taken care of. The breakfast buffet ends at 11:00 a.m. , so if you show up at 10:45, wouldn't you kind of expect to find things running out? Don't know if when other reviewers made it down to breakfast, but we found this to be true. Get there around 9, and food is piping hot and plentiful. Meander down around 10:45, and you'll have to ask for some items. Wasn't a problem for us.
Yes, we would stay here again. Yes, we would ask for a room with a full view of the ocean. Yes, the room was older and had a dehumidifier in it. It didn't make any noise, and the air conditioner made noise like it's supposed to. My sheets weren't sticky, the room didn't feel tropical. It was clean and comfortable. And most importantly, it was RIGHT on the BEACH.
Oh, I will say though: One bone of contention--you can't bring your cooler to the pool area. They have a bar type area, and obviously want you to buy their refreshments. We are on a budget, so that was a bummer. Having thirsty kids requires a cooler, and I'm not going to buy things from the hotel when I can fill my cooler with bottled water from the the local grocery store. They need to change that rule. But, the hotel WILL give you free ice for your cooler! That was pretty nice for going to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My Husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice on our wedding anniversary and have just been entirely please both times. The access to the beach is fabulous, the staff great, St. Augustine is a wonderful historic town that provides days of entertainment at reasonable prices. The best thing about this hotel is most certainly the view from the Ocean Front rooms..it is breathtaking! The sunrise over the ocean is beyond description. What has been said about the hotel being older is quite true...and it suited us very well. It is basically well-maintained and we, honestly, were very grateful to have a clean, friendly place to stay without resort prices. Couldn't recommend highly enough!! Love it here!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I would have to say that this was a great place to stay, on the beach, good price, great pool, friendly staff. So some of the other reviews are right, this building is older, a little dated, but I can look past a few bits of chipped paint and peeling wallpaper for all the other benefits of this facility.

The staff is above and beyond helpful. They always greet you as you are walking down the hall. They are fast and friendly if you need extra towels. And most importantly, when my girlfriend's daughter accidentally went to the beach instead of meeting us at our car, the hotel staff dropped EVERYTHING to search for her.

The price of the hotel was great for a vacation and the hotel is right on the beach, just cut through the pool and... there is an ocean. And the pool was amazing. There is a bar at the pool which has some great prices and great drinks.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2010

There are very few places to stay at the St. augustine beachfront, and this is one of the older ones there. Our third floor room with a balcony allowed us to see the sunrise over the ocean early dawn; becooning us to go for early morning walks and swims. It has a nice pool with direct beach access. Being an older hotel, the facilities due show the wear and tear of time, but the service was very warm and the staff were attentive. The real plus point of this hotel is that the beach is very wide here almost all day vis a vis other properties on the beach where the erosion has affected the beach width. And yes, I live in Goa, close to a beach, am a beach person and have seen many beaches. But I can safely say that the white powdery sand of this beach is the best I have ever experienced. By the way, St. augustine is the oldest city in the US and was an early Spanish outpost in the new world. It is a very charming city and a visit to it is highly recommended. If possible, I shall be back there one day.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank aks60
Reviewed June 16, 2010

This Holiday Inn is a bit dated, but that doesn't bother my husband and me. We chose this motel for the location (beach and close to the city) and low price. Considering that, we'd stay there again!
The motel is located on the beach, which if you've never been to this area, can be a bit deceiving. Along this part of the coast, the beach is very wide, then there is a good sized dune. Due to that, there is no real beach view from the patio or tiki bar areas. I'm sure the views are very nice on the upper floors facing the beach, but don't know from first hand experience. However, the patio and tiki bar area does receive a nice sea breeze.
During our stay there was a de-humidifier that was running the whole time in our room. We quickly grew accustomed to the sound, but I'm sure others would find it annoying. I had read other reviews complaining of dampness in the rooms, which explains the de-humidifier.
One weird thing, though. Upon our arrival there was no shampoo or soap in the bathroom. I had to call the front desk and those items were delivered promptly. On the 2nd day the caraf to our coffee maker disappeared. Since we didn't make coffee in the room, it wasn't a big deal, but still a bit of a mystery.
The elevators are painfully slow. So plan on either waiting or taking the steps, Again, with us it was no big deal.
Due to the location and pricing, expect a lot of families with children.
We ordered off the menue for breakfast - one day only. The hash browns were undercooked and cold, and the toast was barely toasted and, again, cold. Did not attempt lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Usually older hotels on the beach aren't going to be amazing, so we knew what we were getting into when we booked this place. The room smelled odd, the sheets in the bed were wet for some reason, and the breakfast in the hotel restaurant was even edible (bye-bye 20 bucks). But the pool and the pool bar are great. Plus the location on the beach can't be beat.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zacopeland18
mattpattheyfl, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2010

Thank you for your comments. Since we are on the beach the humidity can be problematic during extremely hot days and cause the rooms to be damp. We will be performing renovations in the near future and I would hope to see your return once they are completed.