“Beware of the lying housekeeper”

Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here numerous of times never had a complaint enjoy the hotel on the beach the nice pool although I must say the drinks at the pool can be very pricey I suggest you bring your own . I really couldn't understand why there was so many bad reviews. Until today my husband and I were enjoying ourselves in st. Augustine from 8 a.m. To 4 p.m. Today due to the 90 degree weather we both were little sweaty wanting to get back to the room take a nice hot shower. Only to find out our room had not been cleaned so therefore there were no clean towels I must say I was a bit unsettled. I called the front desk only to speak with Grant(so called manager) with an non caring and nonchalant combative attitude . I had informed grant that our room had not been cleaned all day that we needed to take a shower and there were no clean towels. Grant informs me that they are short of staff and that he would see what he can do that was really unacceptable to me but I had no other choice but to wait. He informed me that Tiffany the housekeeper had had stated that i had walked out of my room signed a paper stating that I did not want service today. I really could not believe what I was hearing so I went to the front desk to see this paper that I had supposedly signed. I was quite disturbed to see that not only was that not my signature but that was not my name I tried explaining this to grant but he did not want to hear anything i had to say telling me well someone did come out of your room I was trying to tell him that was impossible it was only myself and my husband. Apparently the housekeeper or someone forge a signature some one signature that was clearly not mine nor my husband. So watch out for tiffany the housekeeper if she could forge she could steal.....we finally receive service at 6:30 p.m.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank angelia s
marielena s, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so glad you stayed with us so many times. I am sorry on your last visit you experienced a problem. We are under new management and hope you will continue to come back to see us. Maybe on your next visit you can try our wonderful Piano Bar in the evening with great singing that is very enjoyable. I am happy to meet you as well so please on your next stay stop by the front desk and ask for me and I will be happy to come say hello and ensure your stay is wonderful to the best of my abilities.

Marielena Scibelli

Reviewed July 26, 2014

My family and I spent a week at Holiday Isle and I have to say that it was one of the most relaxing vacations we ever had. The location is perfect and the service was amazing. Highly Recommend to all.

3  Thank Hudon47
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had seen several good reviews prior to booking the room in January 2014 for our annual summer beach trip.

A few weeks before we headed out I noticed several not so happy reviews on Facebook…. I was a bit worried.

Open minded off with the family to the Holiday Isle OceanFront Resort. We arrived two hours before check in. The Staff Member suggests we change into our bathing suits and hit the pool! What a fantastic idea! Most of the hotels I’ve stayed at in the past, do not want you on the property prior to check in. An hour later my phone rang, “…When you are ready to check in, your room is ready. Enjoy your time at the pool…”

We stayed on the fourth floor, room 422. We had a magnificent view of the sunrise and the sunset from our balcony. The room was perfect size for my family of five. The room was super clean, plenty of space for clothes to be hung and in draws. Nice size bathroom, mini fridge, microwave, nice size flat screen, sufficient movie stations to accommodate everyone’s likes as our evenings came to an end. The A/C in the room worked great!

Staff was great! Shawn made the trips to the poolside bar worth it! He was incredibly friendly and engaging with the guest. Everyone at the front desk and the maid service were beyond accommodating.

The pool was plenty big and clean. The deck area was clean and had lots of chairs and table with umbrellas. The hotel provided extra towels. The atmosphere provided beach style music, not to loud. And Beach Front is correct! Just a short walk across the deck to the beach.

The hotel restaurant was more than expected. Delicious breakfast, reasonably priced.

We were a bit surprised it was a pet friendly hotel. However, as far as I could tell, all the pet friendly rooms were on the first floor. Other than seeing the dogs cross the deck floor to head to the beach, we had no issues. I even made comment to make sure to mention this to my sister and brother in-law who are a pet traveling family. They would appreciate the accommodation.

Other than the pillows being a bit small, but, we always bring a few extra and the elevators being crazy slow… but heck you’re on vacation you are supposed to slow down.

The Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort offered us a Great location! Remarkable view! Was an Extraordinary Family beach trip! All at a very reasonable price and We will be back again and again!

Room Tip: The 4th and 5th floor balconies are going to offer the best ocean, sunrise and sunset views.
5  Thank Kathy R
Grant J, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words and detailed review. I am very happy you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to serving you again very soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We wanted a low key beachfront mini vacation. This was exactly what we got. The hotel itself is obviously dated, but it is well kept and clean. The location is GREAT. The rooms are classic older hotel rooms, and we had adjoining rooms on the fourth floor. The balconies were lovely for relaxing and having breakfast. If you're looking for an all inclusive pampering kind of place, this isn't it. The place was clean, everyone who I saw that worked there were quite nice, and it was what we needed. The prices were more than reasonable, and we rented an umbrella and chairs from Barney's each day-also quite reasonable as well as nice.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Cheryl S

Thank you for your accurate review and thank you for staying with us here at the Holiday Isle. As you mentioned, our location is unbeatable for a no frills beach front vacation in St. Augustine. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and it was our pleasure to serve you. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Beachfront location and the wonderful staff I would have rated this hotel a zero. The hotel is very old and has not been updated in many years. In addition it smells old. It appears unclean. This is not a place for Couples it is over run with loud children and disrespectful teenagers. In addition the bar staff was very rude. I would not advise and friend or foe to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at all. If you have to I would not do beachside pool area very loud.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa D

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our hotel is very popular with families, especially while the kids are out of school. Although the property is older, we strive to provide exceptional service and I'm glad to hear the staff treated you well. We will be undergoing renovations at the end of this season and I hope you will come back to see the new rooms.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Arrived Weds. the 16th just got home last night. Went for a family reunion elevator was very hot
room was very old and dirty. We had family that complained about their room a got a different room twice because it was nasty. They had people working there I don't know what they did but it sure wasn't updating or cleaning it. Pool and Beach were about the only thing I can say that was nice. The door to the balcony was rotten and you had to push on it to get it open and the rail around the balcony was rusty that my sister would not let her grandkids near it. Bathroom floor grout lines were so black it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. I've stayed at some old hotels that were nicer than this one. We had to ask for towels never even changed our beds for the 4 days we were there. DON'T STAY HERE

2  Thank Mary V

I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. We are an older hotel but strive to provide exceptional service and clean rooms. Despite the age of the hotel, the location and value is unmatched on St. Augustine Beach. I encourage you to come back again after our renovations and see if the property is more up to your standards.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

After reading all the bad, I went with an open mind.
We booked the night before, looked for somewhere on the beach- Hard to find! Found this was the only hotel available and had a pool/some sea view. We stayed on the second floor , room #203, had a balcony, good air conditioning and a nice little bathroom. The bed was a king, I love it, especially as we have a queen at home and have to compete with 3 other animals for space. Pillows were a little on the small side, bring your own is always an option. We had a coffee pot and fridge.
The room itself was clean and options for putting away all your clothes or to hang them was there. This was not an above average hotel, but it was in a great location and the staff were all pleasant and upbeat, thank you to Sam ,And it was clean, no dust bunnies under the bed. I would stay here again, it is a pet friendly resort and anywhere you can bring your animal is a plus to me.
Could the hotel use some upgrades, absolutely! the stair wells needed some love, new paint and possibly new lighting. The elevators were always running slow towards the pool end, but patience, YOU ARE ON VACATION! Where are you rushing to?
We did not use the pool, we wanted the beach experience, but I can tell you it was clean and had music playing in the background and not too loud, so was inviting for all family members.
The pool bar, had a fun server Jeremy who was knowledgeable about the area. The bar could do with some upgrades as well. But he was well stocked up on all liquor and beer, plus items for the kids.
As you walk out onto the beach you can rent umbrellas and chairs for the day and any suntan lotion you forgot.
All in all a very relaxing hotel with a great location.

Room Tip: Any room for a view, pool side 3rd to 5th floor for the ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple