“We'll Be Back”

Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
Winter Garden, Florida
“We'll Be Back”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had reservations at another Hotel but upon arrival were not pleased with what we saw. We looked around and decided to give Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resorts a try. Mary Ann was at the front desk and was very welcoming and more than helpful. We explained that we were celebrating our Anniversary and she extended her congratulations to us but went on to explain that you had 2 weddings going on that weekend and were very busy but she would try to get us a room.

She was able to get us in and we loved the room, pool and easy access to the beach. Also, we were very excited to watch the beach wedding. Some wedding guests even invited us to attend the reception!

Thanks so much Mary Ann and the rest of your helpful staff.

Great job!

Brian and Kay Pauley
1425 Spring Ridge Drive
Winter Garden, FL 34787

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
HolidayIsle32080, Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Congratulations on your anniversary! I am glad Maryann was able to get you in last minute. It sounds like you had a great time. Watching the wedding probably made your anniversary even more meaningful. Please come back again soon. We'd love to have you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Elma, Washington
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I usually take reviews for hotels with a grain of salt realizing that you will never make everyone happy, but sometimes I have reservations about a place if I see alot of 'bad' reviews. I must say I'm glad I followed my instinct on this one. Granted, I stayed on the North side but from what I could tell the hotel is not near as bad as some people say. Yes, it's old but I've stayed in much worse. It was clean, the staff friendly and helpful and it is in a good location for the beach and some 'beach' restaurants. There is a shuttle into town if you choose to not drive which is good as well. I would stay again.

Room Tip: get a room with a North side view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for taking a 'chance' with us. We are glad you had a great time, and we appreciate you taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. Please come back again soon.
KY
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We just took our family to St. Augustine for vacation and were very pleased with our stay at Holiday Isle. The rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly from the front desk to housekeeping to maintenance-- any employee we would see would greet us. The ocean is just steps away from the pool & hotel so it was a great location. We would most definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. Being only steps away from the beach is definitely one of our biggest assets. Another is our employees, and I will pass on all your compliments to them all. Please come back again.
Franklin, North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2011

The location of motel is right on the beach, which was a big plus. The staff was friendly and responded well to several issues we had during our stay. The Motel is really old, and needs some updating, but the accomodations were adequate. The bathroom was small, and now counter space.
We experienced electrical issues on our visit, that required resetting the bathroom service several times, and the TV went out so an additional one was added. removing even more of the limited surface space. All in all not a bad trip, but could have been better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the compliments regarding the ocean view and the staff. TV issues and electrical issues are very rare and in our hotel, and I do apologize. We are an older property, but we are working hard to maintain it and are constantly trying to make it an even better place for our guests to stay.
Crawfordville, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We started in St. Augustine Beach for the first part of our anniversary trip. We wanted somewhere a little on the nicer side and on the beach. I'd read some reviews that this hotel needed renovations, but it appears they're working on that in several of the rooms. Our room wasn't anything "fancy" per se, but it was clean and spacious and to me that is more important. We got a king size room with a north facing balcony. We actually did have a pretty fair view of the ocean from the room, since we were on the 4th floor. Our bed was comfortable, that was a big plus. We always bring our own pillows, so I can't vouch for the hotel pillow quality. The room had a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, and an iron.
On Thurs and Sat nights the hotel lounge has a piano bar and that was a fun time. We were by far the youngest couple in there, but it was enjoyable to listen and laugh at all the antics. The bars drinks were reasonably priced, my husband had several. I just sipped my sprite :) We only had 1 meal at the restaraunt on site (which also happens to be in the lounge area) and that was breakfast. But they've got a pretty decent variety on their menu and it was reasonably priced. The service was a little slow, so don't go there if you're in a hurry to start your day, but it was nice to have a hot meal and some fresh fruit.
Our 1st morning there the fridge broke and we let them know at the desk as we were leaving. It was fixed by the time we returned that evening, so they were very attentive.
The pool area was nice, nothing over the top, but clean and roomy. They have a tiki bar there that was a little over priced on some items (like my alcohol-free margarita was still $6), but it was a nice option to have. The beach is very clean and beautiful as well. It was nice to have both right at your fingertips.
All in all it was a great stay, mostly worth it for the money. We'd stay there again, but who knows when we'll get another vacation!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and photos with us on Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your time here, and hope you find a way to take another vacation again soon. We would love to have you back again.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 7, 2011

The service staff, from reception, maintenance and maid service were very nice and pleasant. This hotel is going through renovations and some rooms are still being updated. It was clean and the location is very good with pool and beach access. The hotel was full and there was a variety of groups and families. Next time I would like to have an ocean side view to enjoy the sunrise, which is my favorite. I would go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to your next visit. You will love the sunrise views from the oceanfront rooms.
McCall, Idaho
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I'd like to offer a review after staying for two days. I can tell you a lot depends on your personal maintenance level as I am sure the room I stayed in would be completely unacceptable to some. The furnishings are outdated, a 27" old (pre-flat screen) TV, no microwave or refrigerator. The carpet was damp and the paint in the bathroom peeling (from humidity, I suppose). At night the sheets felt sticky due to the dampness of the room, the AC did nothing to mitigate this. I think everything was clean but due to the dampness it made it feel dirty. I hope I don't get scabies. I'm not sure why they can't seem to fix this problem, I was just in a Holiday Inn Express and it was dry as a bone, no problems.

The door to the balcony had a deadbolt that was difficult to operate and I am an athletic person (firefighter by trade), I can only imagine the frustration someone with less physical prowess might have.
The water was very soft, to the point it felt I could not rinse the soap off my body.

Be careful where you park as 20%-30% of the parking, esp. close to the doors, floods when it rains and you end up parked in a big puddle.

Okay, that's the bad, here's the good:

Although I didn't use the pool, it looked really clean and the little tiki bar was open. Access to the beach was easy and there is a rental kiosk if you need a boogie board, sunscreen or a chair for the beach. The laundromat on the 1st floor cleaned and dried my clothes for $4 in quarters (I brought my own soap, saving $1) The staff was always pleasant and helpful with all my requests from icing my cooler to finding me a masseuse.

Overall, I would not stay here again but it is not the worst place I have ever stayed. There were no roaches or rats.

Room Tip: Check the room/carpet before accepting
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
HolidayIsle32080, Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We appreciate the compliments about the pool and beach area and understand your concern about the moisture in the room. The rooms (the south side more than the north and oceanfront) seem more prone to moisture after a heavy storm, but should not be that humid. The blankets should be completely dry and comfortable. You should not have been checked into a room that was that humid, and If we were made aware, we would have been able to change your room immediately. I apologize again for the disappointment.

Travelers are raving about these Saint Augustine Beach hotels