“Great price, another shower problem though”

Best Western St. Augustine Beach Inn
Tarpon Springs, FL
“Great price, another shower problem though”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This property is clean, with nice access to the beach. The price was very good I felt. There was a hot tub by the pool, which was only occasionally empty, which resulted in my use on only one occasion. I was hoping it would be more of a jacuzzi type tub but it wasn't. Still, it was really nice on a slightly windy day and very relaxing in the late afternoon after touring the city. The shower head in the room was not adjustable and was set on three strong sprays. I much prefer a finer spray. I mentioned the problem at checkout and was told the maintenance staff would be informed. I have more shower issues wherever I go. The manager of a motel should have to take a shower in a room once in awhile! I was surprised that the beach has no umbrella/chair rental and the hotel staff informed me that there was no beach in the area that had such facilities. I wish I would have known this before I left, as I brought nothing like that with me. The beach was very wide and had no shade of any kind, so we never did go on the beach. They have a breakfast area that closed at 10 AM, and the only time we thought of using it it was at 10:05 AM so I can't report on that. The area did look clean. The TV in the room was Direct TV on a satellite I guess. Changing channels was time consuming and the remote was not user friendly. For the price (weekday price using Orbitz) this hotel was a good deal.

Room Tip: If you are coming to this hotel for a beach vacation, be sure to bring your own beach towels, umbrel...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 0906ret
Barry P, General Manager at Best Western St. Augustine Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for writing a survey on our hotel, just to let you know we do rent out beach chairs and umbrellas, we also have pool towels at the front desk. All feedback helps us improve our services , so thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
St. Johns, FL
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Took my daughter and some friends to the Imagine Dragon concert for her 16th birthday. Not sure how late the concert would end, I decided we would stay overnight using my rewards points. This hotel is reasonably priced for where it is situated close to the beach, tourist attractions and our destination, the amphitheatre. We were greeted with a friendly smile by the front desk. There was a humidifier in our room; so it only felt slightly damp ~ but, what do you expect in humid Florida and near the beach? As a side note, it rained off and on slightly the evening of our stay. Our room on the 2nd floor fit our needs perfectly and the beds were very, very comfortable. Parking is tight; however, there is no additional fee for onsite parking as some hotels charge. Due to time restrictions, we did not take advantage of the many restaurants along the strip on A1A Beach Boulevard. I did notice many vacationers strolling or riding bicycles. When I booked, I knew they offered a continental breakfast so I was surprised when the girls came up to the room with homemade waffles, sausages, pastries, pre-made fried eggs and juice. I went down to investigate myself and also found same plus fresh fruit, packaged cereal, oatmeal and grits along with boiled eggs. The only downside is the breakfast area is a little small. I did see some guests enjoy eating their breakfast at the tables by the poolside though. Overall, I would recommend this hotel. I had visited one other several years ago when I participated in a wedding on the island and this one far exceeds that one in comparison. Note: A1A Beach Boulevard splits off from A1A and makes a horseshoe shape to connect back up farther south. I passed intersection where it split (by McDonald's); but, was able to backtrack after calling the hotel for directions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MadMax_GT
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey, i am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the concert was great. We have some big names that come through our town and perform at the amphitheater. I remember your girls were singing in the lobby creating some excitment for other fans.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I booked at this hotel based on reviews on Trip Advisor. Arrived at the hotel, checked into room on the second floor. Immediately when I opened the door I could smell smoke and it was very humid. I called the front desk and they told me the entire hotel is smoke-free but I can tell you the smell in the room was smoke and strong. It also smelled moldy and just not clean. Stayed one night, checked out and moved to hotel across the street, on the beach side. Which was cheaper and much nicer! Pool very small. It looks nice from the outside but don't be fooled. Now something about me and hotels: CLEAN is the number one criteria. This place made my skin crawl.

Room Tip: Our room was on second floor, right above the pool. Maybe another room would have been better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review, i am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not of a level you expected . We strive to mantain a high standard of cleanliness in the rooms and we are a 100% smoke free hotel , but unfortunately there people who dont follow the rules and smoke in the rooms and we try to remove the smoke but it does take a while.
Again i do apologize for not exceeding your expectations.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here for 2 days on a little getaway....More to be near the beach, rather than seeing local sights. From what I could see, it was very convenient to go to places - the lighthouse was only a few miles away. Tickets for the Old Town Trolley were available for purchase at front desk and a bus stop to get to it was in front of the hotel.

Although not right on the beach, it is just a few minutes walk after you cross the street. There is no cross walk in front of the hotel, so imagine it's a little dicey crossing the street during the busier tourist season.

The rooms are a little on the dark side because only source of outside light is the large window on the front of the room. Otherwise, the room was fine. There was mini fridge, microwave and large vanity outside the bathroom. Direct TV and all the channels available was a big surprise for a hotel of this size.

I didn't use the pool & hot tub, but looked like a nice little area to hang out. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank imrosed
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey , we really appreciate it. All feedback helps us maintain and improve great service. We are looking into placing brighter light bulbs in the rooms to improve light quality.
colorado
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Its always hard finding a reasonably priced place near the beach. This hotel is clean and the staff and guest were all very freindly. No musty smell and no bugs. The beds are firm and the showers have lots of pressure and my 6'2 husband fit with room to spare. The parking is tight but you can't drive fast through the it that way. The walk to the beach across the street is 5 min. Grab your coffee and go. You can also walk to dinner in the evening and ice cream is across the street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review, all feedback is welcome as it helps us improve services to our guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we could accomodate all your needs.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Second time staying here to go to the Alligator Farm for bird photography. Very convenient location since my wife could walk the beach while I was gone to the AF.

Rooms were very clean and well stocked. Parking spots around back are very narrow and hard to get in and out of with an SUV or pickup. Pool area and outside is very clean.

Breakfast was very good and they didn't mind if I returned at 9:58am when breakfast ended at 10am. The staff asked if I needed anything and brought it out. That was really appreciated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bills_pix
Thank you for your response and i am glad to see that you were returning guests and that you enjoyed yourselves again.