“Great place and value!”

Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Definitely on my list of good places to stay. We had a balcony room facing the pool which was great. Beds were nice as well roomy. Loved the mini toiletries available to use. Room had a microwave, mini fridge as well hair dryer... yay! Staff very nice!!! Only bad thing was that they did not have a place by the pool to get a drink, would have loved that. Pool was just perfect as well the hot tub that was nice to use in the evening. Only downfall for me is that it was a good walk to the beach. If and when we go back I would make sure to request a room on the 4th floor to get more of a view. We did find a great little place on the same side of the street past the parking that sold ice cream. Pier was close by if you want to fish. Many place to eat other than the restaurant on site if you want to walk but we like to explore so went by car most of the time.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

IcefrostOFlorida,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are happy to know that you found us to be a great place and a great value. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The reviews on this Hotel are not accurate & here is why
1. I found a long strand of hair on my bed sheet when I went to go to bed on my first night. (I had to sleep on a chair in the room. The hotel staffs attitude the next morning was its my fault because I didn’t wake my wife up from sleeping at 1 am in the morning to complain about it so the hotel staff could change the sheets). I was watching TV late and my wife had already gone to bed.
2. The next morning we had breakfast, I ordered eggs and in my dish (hair again!!) NO it wasn’t my hair because I am bald!!!!
3. I love children but the hotel only has a small pool so if you have 15 to 20 children ranging in ages from infant to 12 years of age swimming at the same time we all know what kids do in pools !! They urinate. So if you don’t mind swimming in urine then this place would be for you!!
4. Bottom line is the ratings that people are giving this property and all of the hoopla that the reviews are stating are not accurate. This is a bare bones Hotel at best.
5. FYI NO bar in the hotel, if you want a late night drink good Luck, get in your car and find a place.
6. If you want to buy an Ice cream or gum or anything get in your car and find a store!! No gift shop on the property.

Bottom line: Run away & don’t look back there are many hotels in St Augustine that are far better.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank joseph r

joseph r,

I apologize that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I am also sorry that you do not feel the other 400+ reviews are accurate. We do try to please all of our guests, but as humans we do sometimes make mistakes. We are a family friendly resort, and as such children are more than welcome. Our pool is balanced daily with chemicals mandated by the state health department that make it safe for all. You really will not find a hotel at the beach area in St. Augustine, in the Summer, that does not have a pool full of kids. St. Augustine itself is a very family friendly destination and we welcome children to have a safe and fun time with us. The restaurant does sell beer and wine, but as we do not have a liquor license we cannot have a bar and we do not advertise that we do have one. There is an ice cream shop 1 block from the hotel that we send guests to all of the time for a fun summer treat.
As stated above we do try to wow all of our guests and every once in a while we miss our mark. We are human and we apologize for any mistakes we may have made.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed at this property during our summer vacation (with my wife and 2 kids). In general the accommodation was very comfortable, had a mini bar and a microwave oven. Bath amenities were also good. The hotel is just a few steps from the beach and parking is free of charge. There are 2 points they need to fix though. The air conditioning in our unit was extremely loud (air flow noise). As the temperature was very high, the A/C would go on and off several times during the night. It was virtually impossible not to wake up every time it turned on and was on because of the noise it made. Also, the shower is not so good as the water pressure is very low.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Claudio A,
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us this summer. We would love to know what room # you were in so that we can address the problems for you and all future guests. That you for your business and we hope you think of us if you visit our beautiful city again.

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We booked this place as a second honeymoon and this place did not disappoint. From the customer service to the room, pool, and restaurant everything was perfect. Thank you for a new wonderful place to vacation. No smoking anywhere.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Abner W,
Thank you! We are so happy that you enjoyed your second honeymoon with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back again and again. We hope to be your go to spot in St. Augustine or anytime that you need a romantic getaway.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. Check-in was very friendly (recommend purchasing breakfast vouchers for 8.50 per person). Room was clean and very nice with two exceptions - water pressure in the shower was barely adequate and TV did not have HD channels. The hotel is a very short walk to the beach and a relatively short drive to the historical sites of downtown St. Augustine (you do have to go over a draw bridge and can be delayed if the bridge is up). The hotel restaurant La Cocina is currently rated #1 of 75 restaurants in St. Augustine beach on tripadvisor and it's well deserved. We ate there 3 times and it was excellent. By booking about 2 months in advance we paid an average of 150.00 dollars per night - a very good value.

Room Tip: At time of booking a 40.00 dollar food coupon was available for 20.00 dollars at doubletake.com for...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KeithF928

Keith F,
We are happy to know that you found us to be a good value. I apologize about the water pressure in your room. If this ever happens again, please do not hesitate to call down and let us know you are having an issue. There are things that we can do to increase the pressure/ fix the problem. Other than that I am glad that you enjoyed your time here and please think of us if you are in our area again.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have had our fair share of sketchy hotels, and the second we opened the door to our room, we were blown away. The decor was gorgeous and the room was so clean! The staff was always kind and helpful as well. We had a room that faced the parking lot, and you know you have a great room when a parking lot view doesn't bother you! We are already planning our next trip!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

deavenf,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased to know that we did not fall into the sketching category :). We pride ourselves on friendliness and cleanliness and I am happy to know that we provided you with both. That is our goal with each and every guest who walks through our doors. We thank you for your business and are eager to welcome you back next time you are in town.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Go there, stay a night in the ocean facing rooms on the 3rd floor with the Jacuzzi. Just before getting in the bed, check the label on the comforters, mattress, linen and pillows. they post them here for me or else I will have to return and do it myself. It was like climbing back into the womb; (the womb must have been good since I was in there 9 months). I could spend 9 months in that bed. Most restful night of my vacation to Orlando. I already told you - St. Augustine is a mandatory stop for us when in Florida and this hotel is high on my list of places to crash for the night.

The food at the restaurant was also great. We had a great experience. $250+ for the night for one room with two most awesome beds; well worth it. I must also commend the artwork and décor. Well done Spanish flare.

Only one complaint, no direct beach access. The bed made me forget the walk.

Room Tip: Ocean Front, Jacuzzi suite 3rd floor right off the elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mncrffe

Mncrffe,
Thank you. The bed is a Simmons Beautyrest Felicity. We do get quite a few compliments on them. We are so happy that you were able to rest and relax while you were here. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
#9 of 78 in St. Augustine
4 mi away
Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Augustine Historic District

Been to Ascend Collection Castillo Real? Share your experiences!