“good for the money”

Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We stayed at this hotel in august 08 and we came back in september. Both stays are consistent with a good rating.
We had a room on 3rd floor with balcony, ocean view. For the view, there are a couple small buildings between the hotel and the beach, so it's a scam to claim it's ocean view, on their website. Other than that , the room was large with a huge jacuzzi, a separate bathroom with a nice shower. All was clean and nicely decorated.
Expect a microwave, a fridge in your room, as well as central AC which is a lot less noisy than individual units you find in other hotels such as Hampton Inn.
More: there is a very decent restaurant down in the lobby: La Cocina. And if you want to go out, Sunset Grill is nearby, at walking distance.
Definitely, we will go back.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JP M

Reviewed September 9, 2008

I've stayed at Castillo Real in the past, and generally have found it be pleasurable. It's location is it's main draw - on the beach and within easy driving distance of Old St. Augustine. That said, I can no longer recommend this hotel. Upon returning home last week, after one night at their hotel, I checked my bank balance online and noticed that they had charged me $12. My room was prepaid through Orbitz, and I had given them my debit card for incidentals (at their insistance), but had absolutely NOT charged anything to the room. I called and was told that they had no record of charging me for anything - and basically said that was all there was to it. Well, they did charge me for SOMETHING, and it has been deducted from my account. Beware of this scam!!!! They have your credit card or debit card "for incidentals" and apparently feel free to charge you for nothing and then say they didn't. They seem not to keep good records at the desk because the first time I called they said I had cancelled the reservation - that never happened. I don't trust them, and can get no satisfaction from them. Also, the elevator is very hot, and there is no coffee in the mornings to take on your walk on the beach (when do they think you might want coffee in the lobby - at night?). Buyer beware on this one.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charliemac33803
Reviewed September 1, 2008

This is a lovely boutique hotel that we stayed one night on our way back from Orlando. The rooms were large with two queen beds, microwave and fridge and a good-sized flat screen LCD TV. The bathroom was divided with a vanity and sink on the outside. My daughter loved the shower, as there was no tub. The room was lush in Mediterranean décor with deep wood tones and rich colors of blue and burgundy. The lobby was exquisite with a beautiful chandelier and fresh flowers. The onsite restaurant La Cocina was closed on out arrival for dinner but open for breakfast. We did not attend as we had to be on the road early the next morning, but from what we could see there were many patrons enjoying their meals. The beds were comfortable and we had a quiet nights sleep. The St. Augustine Light House and Museum is just down the road and were we able to visit between storms from good old Fay. The beach is a short walking distance but with the unpredictable weather, we passed on this. There are plenty of restaurants not far from the Castillo Real if La Cocina is closed. I would return here, maybe during better climate.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2008

After driving for 18 hours, we stopped in St. Augustine to sleep before heading to our real destination the next day. We had never been there before and stumbled upon this hotel. I didn't think rates were bad at all. The decor was beautiful and our room was nicely appointed and spacious. We had rich tapestries in our room, granite countertops in our bathroom area and a huge open tile
shower. They carried bath and body works products (soap, shampoo etc). Our room was quite comfortable and nice. We didn't get to check out the pool as we arrive at 10 pm. But, no discount was awarded for late check-in. The front desk hostess was quite snobby. I admit that riding in a car for 18 hours with three kids ( two preteens and an eight year old) can make you not look quite your best. But, I was offended by the way she looked and treated our party. We are quite financially secure and in no way are the trash that she implied we were! Anyhow, would I go back?? Probably, That heavily accented lady only worked at night anyways. I wouldn't see or have to deal with her during the waking hours. It really is a nice place to stay. Not on the beach but there is a public access walkway beside the resort so you can walk to the beach. Nice beach, but we proceeded to the Gulf of Mexico which blew this beach out of the water.

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank sherryappraisal
Reviewed June 23, 2008

This is a beautiful hotel. I came for a conference and was surprised at how nice it was. I upgraded to a ocean view room with a huge jacuzzi tub. The tub was so large, it took nearly 30 minutes to fill. The room was very large and had plenty of room. A nice shower and bathroom (marble), refrigerator, microwave, etc. The hotel is not directly on the ocean (there is one property in front of it), but is just a few minute walk. It has a nice outdoor pool and hot tub. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ally_sun_jax
Reviewed June 6, 2008

My spouse and I stayed at the Clarion Castillo Real for a few nights in January of 2008. The location of the hotel was suitable to our needs, close to downtown St. Augustine, but very close to the beach. While the hotel is not truly beachfront, it is only a short walk through the parking lot away, which was no big deal to us.

We were very impressed with the size and the look of our room, which was a top floor king room with whirlpool tub. The whirlpool jacuzzi tub was hands down, the largest tub either of us had ever seen in a hotel, and we travel quite a bit. The mini-fridge, flat screen television, and Bath & Body Works bathroom products were also nice touches.

One minor issue we had was with the shower in the bathroom, which, while fairly large in size, had diminished water pressure and was hard to adjust the temperature of the water. It took a little bit of getting used to, but wasn't a major drawback.

Overall, we would recommend this hotel to travelers who are looking for a nice, but affordable place to stay in St. Augustine. We will definitely stay here again on return visits.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rva_cricket
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Stayed 5 nights at the Castillo Real, and the place is beautiful. The public areas are well maintained, the king/jacuzzi room is great - plenty of room, very comfy bed with the pillow-top mattress, nice sized fridge, decent view from the balcony. The hotel is NOT beach front. It's a block from the beach, there are other properties between it and the beach that block the ocean view, but from the 4th floor you can see the sun rise. Water temp VERY variable on the 4th fllor - scalding/freezing. Exercise room with treadmill, bike, stairmaster. Biggest downfall is lack of customer service. No one to help with luggage, front desk staff not especially helpful, room wasn't ready at check-in time ("Come back later"), housekeeping was inconsistent (not cleaned well at times), newspaper not delivered to the room, no beach towels or chairs available, no room service unless you have an "in" (a knock on my door produced 2 staff with platters of food for someone else; when I asked about room service they said no - ?), ... "Resort" it's not. It is beautiful, comfy, and close to the beach, if you don't mind fending for yourself.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank msbee3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Augustine Beach
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Courtyard by Marriott St. Augustine Beach
Courtyard by Marriott St. August...
#4 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
4 mi away
Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Augustine Historic District
Southern Oaks Inn
Southern Oaks Inn
#10 of 79 in St. Augustine

Been to Ascend Collection Castillo Real? Share your experiences!