Castillo Real An Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Best Western St. Augustine Beach Inn(Saint Augustine Beach)(Great Value!)
$120
Americas Best Value Inn St. Augustine Beach(Saint Augustine Beach)(Great Value!)
$79
$179
GardenInn.com
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort(Saint Augustine Beach)
$110
Hotels.com
Quality Inn & Suites(Saint Augustine Beach)
$65
Courtyard by Marriott St. Augustine Beach(Saint Augustine Beach)(Great Value!)
$134
  • Pool
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites(Saint Augustine Beach)
$115
$112
Orbitz.com
$152
Hotels.com
Super 8 St. Augustine Beach(Saint Augustine Beach)
$80
Travelocity
The Beach Club at St Augustine(Saint Augustine Beach)
All reviewsbreakfast vouchersbeautiful hotelvanity areaour room was spaciouscocina restaurantdvd playeron site restaurantocean viewshort walkhot tubst augustineaugustine beachgreat restaurantbooked this hotelthird floorhistoric areadefinitely stay here again
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I highly recommend this hotel, and if we are ever back in the St. Augustine area, we would definitely stay here again. Why? The hotel was clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and accommodating even though we arrived several hours before the posted check-in time. The staff was familiar with all of the local attractions, and could tell my husband and I a little about each attraction, which was a plus. (We were trying to avoid "tourist trap" attractions.)

This hotel is a short distance from the beach. If I had to guess the distance, I would say that it was less than a block from the beach. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel as well. Parking is free and plentiful. If you are a stair climber like me, I can tell you that the stairways were clean and well-lit. If you need a morning Starbucks "fix" like my husband does to start the day, there is one less than two miles away from the hotel.

If you book a room partial ocean view, you will see the ocean from afar, which is still beautiful, and have a full view on the pool on the property.

I do not know if this is true of all of the rooms, but there was a jacuzzi in our hotel room. If you book a room on the 4th floor, the highest floor in the hotel, you will have easy access to their fitness center, sauna and steam room.

Please note that there is only one elevator in this hotel. Perhaps because it was so busy, the elevator seemed to take forever to arrive- an exaggeration, I know. Even my husband, who is not a stair climber, would walk up to the 4th floor with me to avoid waiting for the elevator.

2  Thank BelindaJ770
RDealaney, General Manager at Castillo Real An Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Joyce B,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I very much, liked reading your review. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and cleanliness. These are probably the top 2 things we take pride in here. You gave a very good synopsis of our location and building situation. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We first stayed at an Ascend boutique hotel in Muskegon, MI and thought it was a rare find. That led us to try the Castillo Real hotel here and we are now hooked on these hotels! The two we have seen are so elegant but very friendly and reasonably priced.
Maureen, the staff member at the desk when we checked in, spent almost 1/2 an hour straightening out an error in our reservation originating with the booking system - she could not have been friendlier or nicer about it!!!
Our very nice room was on second floor with a balcony overlooking the pool. We were told it was not ocean view but we opted not to pay the considerably higher rate for an ocean view room and did not regret it. The ocean was only 1/2 block away and the beach is one of the nicest we've seen.
We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant which was excellent.

1  Thank gmadiane
Rachel D, General Manager at Castillo Real An Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

gmadiane,
I am so pleased to hear that Maureen was able to get the error in your reservation worked out. I am sorry that the error ever even occurred. Than you for you patience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you have enjoyed more than just our Ascend Collection property. It is nice to hear how much you liked your room and your stay hear. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Great hotel in a beautiful building that is very close to the beach. Large rooms and free parking. We got a great deal online so it was a good value. There are grocery stores and restaurants nearby and it was about 15 minutes from downtown.

1  Thank AVL_traveler1

AVL_traveler1,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and you felt that you got a good value for you money. We hope to welcome you back again in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We drove the coastal road south from Jacksonville SC. We were amazed by all the extravagant mansions part of the way. Usually these structures are in gated communities, but the road “Ponte Vedre Blvd (1A or 203)” is public, hence you can observe where “the filthy rich” lives. One of the smaller villas even had a beach valley ball court with sand in its garden.

We had booked a room with a balcony and twin beds. Apparently that was a hiccup and we were given a discount as there was no balcony for us on the 3rd floor.. There were no luggage carts available either on arrival. None the less, one of the attendants knocked on our door half an hour later to ask whether we had taken one? A larger stock of luggage carts would probably do the trick.

We have stayed at a Ascend hotel before in Oregon. This one in St. Augustin is more lavish. The room on the 3rd floor had stone floor which we like in contrast to the carpet with stains and it was more or less like we like it. It had an ocean view and looked down on the pool. One of the tiles on the Jacuzzi had been broken and glued back on it bits and pieces, instead of replaced.

In the evening we went up to the 4th floor guest balcony, - with access through the exercise room and enjoyed the evening as the sun went down. Really nice and we were only frequented by a few nosy birds (the things that fly not the other kind...).

The hotel has an indoor restaurant that is excellent. Breakfast is not included, but then it was extremely good. I prefer to pay for something good, instead of eating something mediocre and soggy. The clientele was absolutely an upgrade from some of the hotels we have visited on our way down from NY. There was art in the room from someone who has been looking at Picasso’s work. Our coffee was not even warm. It was replaced with hot coffee. There were hardly any guests however and I would be surprised if the restaurant is up and running next year.

The exercise room was huge with sauna, steam room and a lavatory. It had water, towels and wet swipes in abundance. Absolutely perfect. It is big enough for another treadmill. My wife complained on the noise from the treadmill in the bare room. Better bring some earplugs. I.e if you have not had your hearing deteriorated on a battleground.

The Internet gave a transfer rate of approx. 150 K bit a second which is OK. After w while however it dropped to only 8 K bits, which "sucks". I had problems logging on day 2 of our stay, but that may have been my laptop that sometimes had a will of its own stating tasks outside my fingers. In short; A hotel that is absolute recommendable, but at a price.

phagerup,
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I do apologize for the few hiccups that you encountered during your stay. Thank you for taking your stay as a whole into consideration. It seems as if you enjoyed yourselves while here. We are always happy to hear what we can do better and will take these items under advisement. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed here, although I've had dinner here several times at the hotel's unexpectedly good restaurant, La Cochina. The rooms are very comfortable and the bedding worth a special mention as it is extremely comfortable. As others have noted the place is exceptionally clean. Some of the bedroom furniture is worn (not the beds) and ought to be refinished, but that's about the only nit I have. This is not a grand resort hotel, nor does it pretend to be one, but it is more than adequate as a place to stay near the beach and only about a 15 minute drive from St Augustine proper, which alone is worth a visit. All in all, a nice mix and very good value for the money. Free Wi-Fi is nice, too.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Oberst06

Oberst06,
Thank you for coming back. We love repeat guests. It lets us know we are doing our job to the best of our abilities. I am so glad that you found our beds to be so comfortable. We are aware that our furniture is worn and we will have new furniture by years end. It is nice to know that even though our furniture is worn, you still noticed our cleanliness. We do work hard to make sure each and every room is as clean as can be for every guest. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in our area. Thank you again.