“Very nice”

Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I got married in 2007 by the beach, stayed at this hotel and my reception was here too. The staff was very graceful and my guests loved the food, it was a small wedding, this was the perfect setting and they gave me the choice to have my ceremony there in case it rained! Love this hotel, very good experience!( Sorry no choice for the year of my wedding, hopefully it's stll good!)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
RDealaney, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

titinani767,

Thank you for your review of our hotel from your wedding. It is nice to know that we have been that memorable to your and your guests, all these years later. We can't wait to help you celebrate one of your anniversarys. We are eagerly awaiting your return.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

This was our first trip to St. Augustine and of course our first stay at this hotel, our first and certainly not our last! This hotel was just great for us and we loved St. Augustine!

Let me start out with the location, it is situated on the beach which is quite handy for those of you wanted to hang-out at the beach during the day, or for folks like us that prefer a casual evening stroll. Not to worry about getting into St. Augustine to visit the city, it is an easy drive over the bridge and there are several public parking lots (although I do have to add July might not be the busiest time, however according to the bus driver, it is always busy). At any rate if you’d rather not drive into St. Augustine should you purchase an Old Town Trolley ticket, the bus from the beach will take you to the city. We found the location of this hotel to be very convenient.

The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The hotel décor is not noveau, but it is in keeping with the Spanish influence in the area and more importantly we found our room to be very clean and spacious. The free Wi-Fi connection was easily logged on to also.

We were just there for one night, but the hotel is family friendly and seems to be a nice place for an extended stay. There is a nice pool on the grounds, snack and beverage vending at the exit door to the pool and towels for used at the pool conveniently placed there. I also noticed a washer and dryer for guest use, if I remember correctly I think the cost was $1.50 for each.

We drove over from the west coast of Florida in our convertible with the top town so we were fairly toasted when we arrived at the hotel. I cannot tell you how nice it was to see the lemon flavored container of ice water in the reception area for guests (there was coffee there as well.)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane427

Diane427,

Your kind words are very much appreciated. We are always thrilled when someone takes time out of their busy life to let every one know what a wonderful time they had with us. It is great that you noticed the small things that we do to try and make everyone's stay as close to perfect as possible. Also, thank you for taking the time to post your photos, we love those as well. We hope we are able to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here from July 27-29 and were very impressed with the hotel. It was the first time that a hotel was actually as pretty in person as in the pictures. I would definitely stay here again. The staff was great, the room was clean and very comfortable, the beach is a block away and you can get a shuttle into downtown St. Augustine.

However, I would not recommend the restaurant, La Cocina, inside the hotel. The service and atmosphere were good, but the food was overpriced and not worth it. We went there the first night because we got in late and were too tired to find someplace else. I ordered a steak, which came out VERY overcooked when I asked for medium, and the last morning we went just to have eggs, which I requested over medium and received hard and overcooked.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Stacey_8199,

Thank you for your kind words about our property. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your accommodations to be pleseant. I am sorry about the issues that you experienced with the La Cocina. I will bring these matters to the owners attention. We hope that we will see you again on a future stay to our beautiful area.

Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival we quickly learned that Castillo Real is NOT located on the beach. It's pretty close but not right there!

After checking in we were told the elevator was broken. Lucky for us, our room was located on the 4th floor! They did offer us help with our bags which we declined. FYI- there is no AC in the stairwell!

We paid extra for a view of the ocean. DON'T spend the extra $! You can sort of see the ocean if look around the other buildings blocking the view. So not worth it!

Our room was spacious and super clean, especially the bathroom. I appreciated having a fridge and a microwave in the room. The king size bed was SO comfortable! I slept like a baby for 2 nights - the blackout curtains helped with
that.

The hotel is in a great location with easy access to and from the beach. We did enjoy the pool which was a nice break from the salty ocean. The pool was clean with ample pool towels and lounge
chairs.

I would reccomend Castillo Real and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank roxieC411
RDealaney, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

roxieC411,
Thank you for sharing about your recent stay with us. We are aware that we cannot be 100% all of the time. I am so glad that even though your stay started out rough and there were a few issues, you were also able to see that good in our property. I whole-heartily agree that we are NOT a beach front location, and we try really hard to let our guests know ahead of time that we are about a 1 to 2 minute walk. I am glad that you found the beach access to be easy and that the pool area was enjoyable. We continue to get lots of rave reviews about our beds and we love to hear that people sleep better here than at home. We are glad that you are wanting to come back and we can't wait to welcome you.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel is VERY NICE!!! And I would recommond this hotel to everyone that is going to St.Augustine. Also I think that Stacy and Cassandra where the best front desk agents at the hotel i think that they should be promoted or given a raise they where so polite and very nice to talk with!(:

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Hailey W,
We are glad that you enjoyed your recent family vacation to our hotel. We always love to hear when a guest is able to single out and employee or 2 and recognize them for all they have done. We hope to see you again next summer or maybe even before.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I researched our vacation for almost two weeks before deciding on Castillo Real. This was our first vacation with our daughter (11 months) and we really wanted to be on the beach so as not to cross streets of traffic with her in tow. The hotel's decor is fantastic, the staff is very nice, our room was very nice. We had a King suite which allowed enough room for her pack-n-play. The only downside I saw was the there was no tub to wash our daughter so we made do with the extra large shower-Minor issue really. The location is fantastic to the beach-could not be any closer. We didn't have to cross any streets, the pool was a nice bonus as well. We will definitely be back and hope to stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Christina Y

Christina Y,
We are delighted that you chose to spend your daughter's first vacation with us. We are also happy that we were able to live upto what you expected from us. Hopefully our hotel can become a family tradition for Summer Vacations as the years go on. We can't wait for your return, so we can welcome you cak like the family you are to us.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Clean, nice spanish lock , god service .good place stay and relax

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Krzys409

Krzys409,
We are so happy that you found the hotel to be clean and relaxing, and the service to be good. We hope to see you again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
#9 of 78 in St. Augustine
4 mi away
Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Augustine Historic District

Been to Ascend Collection Castillo Real? Share your experiences!