“Great Place-Great Location”

Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Vermont
“Great Place-Great Location”
Reviewed January 15, 2008

We were originally staying with friends, but decided to stay closer to the airport. The hotel offered a great rate and had a good rating.

The hotel is a very, very short walk from the beach. The beach is very clean and wonderful for walking. It is also a short drive from the historic area. Which we stumbled upon. Very cute.

The check-in staff at the front desk was wonderful. They were very helpful. The pool was clean and nice.

Although we did not dine, the food looked and smelled great. The only complaint (not that it is really a complaint is no room service)

Overall it was a great stay at a great value.

• Liked — Closeness to the beach and the historic area
  • Disliked — No room service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank dartmouthhockeyfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2008

My husband and I stayed here at the beginning of January and will not be staying here again.

In the Choice Hotels directory, the description sounded like it would be a very elegant place to stay. Unfortunately, I was so impressed with the 'elegant' that I didn't realize that breakfast is NOT included as it is in many of the other hotels. We drove a few blocks south to Sea Oats Caffe, 1075 A1a Beach Blvd. which turned out to be the BEST breakfast and FRIENDLIEST service. I had a big bowl of homemade oatmeal with fresh fruit and enjoyed every bite. Very reasonably prices.

When we cheked in to the Castillo Real, we had difficulty understanding the not-terribly-friendly woman who checked us in. The room was very large and at first glance looked elegant just like the hotel -- at first glance.

The shower/toilet room was like a large closet. In the morning it took a long time to get hot water in the shower. The finishing work was very poor and noticeable. The lamps on either side of the king bed were not good for reading and the room was on the dark side. There was no place to hang out a few hand washables. Everything seemed to be just a little bit 'off.'

We ate dinner in the on-site restaurant which was good and also expensive. It was difficult to understand our server.

The lobby computer was definitely hi-speed but the wireless connection in our room was sluggish.

We thought we were in for a luxurious treat but that just did not happen. We will stay elsewhere next time.

This was our first time staying in a Clarion Hotel and we will be more careful if we ever decide to choose one again.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank missannie
florida
Reviewed January 6, 2008

We just returned from a Saturday night away from the kids. Very happy with our choice of hotel. We come to the St. Augusinte area once or twice a year for the past 20 years, and found this hotel one of the best. We had a king, with whirlpool bath, ocean view room, with balcony. Room was beautiful and spacious, including the bathroom area, all were very clean. Ocean view, really means you can see just a tiny piece of the ocean during daylight hours, but was no big deal. Ocean was a 2 minute walk. We did not try the restaurant, but there were many people for dinner on Saturday night, as well as for breakfast on Sunday morning. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed January 5, 2008

My husband and I found this wonderful place called St Augustine Fl. We walked into the Castille Real but there were no vacancies. The next chance we had to visit St Augustine we booked a room at Castille Real. It is a wonderful hotel. Beautifully decorated, superbly kept, immaculately clean. The rooms are large and spacious. The marble floor in the bathroom and shower is lovely. The bed was comfortable. I love this hotel. The restaurant in the hotel is five star caliber.
Make a special trip to St Augustine and stay at the Castille Real you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
orlando, fl
Reviewed December 27, 2007

My family and I stayed here for the weekend. Having stayed at other places in the area we decided to give this place a try. First impression was great. Very nice paver driveway and very nice lobby.

Once we got into our rooms, we were surprised. Surprised because we paid so little for such a nice room. We had a nice sizable two bed room. It had free high speed which was perfect for our laptop and iphones. The room was very nicely decorated. The blinds kept all of the light out. Even our baby slept until 9:30 AM the first night.

The bathroom did not have a bath, only a shower, but was very nice. The vanity area is nice because it's seperate from the shower which allowed us to get ready faster.

Pool area was nice with a nice hottub.

My wife and I are going back in Feb for our anniversary.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank crock1
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 9, 2007

Hotel seems new and the hardware is upscale. During our stay December 5, 2007, the room was very clean, but maybe too much so as it smelled of chlorox-cleaning-type fluid. Got a 4th floor room(top), as requested on line, but facing the street. Was presently surprised that there was no street noise. However, our Room 403 was in close proximity to the center of the hotel, and I assume the elevator motors were making that humming noise we heard at night. Didn't bother me, but my wife complained about it.
Staff were a bit cold, maybe typical of Eastern Europeans, which is what they seemed to be.
The eggs benedict breakfast was excellent, although at $26 inc tip for two, a little bit more than the free breakfasts at the lower cadre of Choice Hotel options.
I would definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Liked — upscale furnishings
  • Disliked — chlorox odor
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CaliforniaEd
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed November 24, 2007

This was my first stay at a Clarion, so I really wasn't sure what to expect. I was very happy with almost everything about this hotel! Check-in went smoothly. Having never been to the area before, I had a few questions for the desk clerk. He was quite helpful. When I walked into the room, I was instantly impressed! The room had two queen beds, but still seemed spacious. The decor and color combinations were beautiful! And the beds were soooo comfortable! Housekeeping had also done a wonderful job.

The bathroom area consisted of a sink and vanity outside the actually door to the bathroom which had a toilet and a large walk-in shower. It was listed in the room description that way, so I wasn't surprised by it. One concern I had, was the marble floor in the shower was VERY slippery. I suggest bringing shower shoes.

If you want to workout, they have a fitness center with three machines and free weights. Also in the fitness center is a sauna and steam room. The hotel also has spa services. I didn't use that so I don't know what services they offer.

The pool was great! Large, clean, and not your typical rectangle. I loved it.

No breakfast was provided but they do have a full service restaurant and have coffee available all day in the hallway.

This hotel IS NOT beach front, the website didn't try to make it sound like it was. The walk to the beach is very short, and no busy streets have to be crossed to get there.

You will have to drive about two miles to find a grocery store or pharmacy, but there are several restaurants within walking distance.

I was very happy with my stay here and look forward to coming back!

• Liked — Bed and pool.
  • Disliked — Slippery shower.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business