“Great food, fun atmosphere!”
Review of Sunset Grille

Sunset Grille
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Description: In business since 1990, we're located #SomewhereOnA1A across from the beach! We have several seating areas for laid back dining. Whether you're interested in dining indoors, outdoors in the beautiful open air on our first floor deck, first floor patio Or something even more laid back up on the second story deck, we can accommodate you! Also, our second story deck is wheelchair accessible! We're proud to be able to say that ours is an award winning menu with the best food on the beach!
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great food, fun atmosphere!”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My husband and I ate at Sunset Grille in St. Augustine on the referral of a fellow traveller. We were not disappointed. The restaurant has open air dining at the top, and windows open in the main area allowing for a nice beach breeze. Jimmy Buffet sayings on the wall and his music playing on the radio, all made for a fun relaxed atmosphere. My husband started his meal with the Minorcan conch chowder and loved it. He had the seafood pasta and said it was one of the best meals he'd had this trip. I had grilled mahi-mahi with mango salsa. It was perfectly grilled, and was plated beautifully. I had a salad with key lime vinaigarette, it was awesome as well. They had a peanut butter pie for dessert that sounded really good, so we decided to split it. It was HUGE, fudgy peanut butter filling on an chocolate crust with chocolate ganache on top. We only ate a couple of bites, it was very rich. We took the rest back to the condo for later.

This is a perfect beach restaurant. Excellent food, great service, phenomenal atmosphere and reasonable prices. We'll definitely visit this one again next time we're in St. Augustine.

2 Thank princesslinda226
SunsetGrilleA1A, Guest Relations Manager at Sunset Grille, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are always happy to know when our guests enjoyed their visit with us. We hope you'll be back soon!

• Polish first
St. Augustine, Florida
“Pretty creative, certainly tasty”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

At first glance, Sunset Grille's menu just looks like great pub fare, with things like my favorite fried fish sandwich, cheesy oysters and batter-dipped French fries. But this restaurant bases much of the menu on the unique cultural roots of its hometown, St. Augustine Beach, Florida, in small ways: Minorcan chowder, cheese and spinach grit cakes, jerk chicken. The prices are what are to be expected in a beautiful resort beach town, so they are not low. But the service can't be beaten in St. Augustine area and the food is awesome. Chances are, whatever you get will have you dancing in your seat as the breeze from the ocean comes through.

• Visited August 2013
SunsetGrilleA1A, Guest Relations Manager at Sunset Grille, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review! We're always happy to hear from our local customers! We're glad you enjoyed your visit with us and that you shared such kind words about our menu!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“2nd visit was a disappointment”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Tonight we returned to Sunset Grill based on a good experience we had last week. The Minorcan chowder was very good while the New England clam chowder seemed to be missing something. We both ordered the Sunset Salad topped with grilled chicken. The greens were fine but the chicken was dry, barely warm and tasteless. There were no grill marks and no juiciness that I expect when I order grilled chicken. I was super disappointed that the steamed shrimp you serve is not Florida shrimp. Our waiter told us that it was from Mexico or Viet Nam. With Mayport so close, I find it hard to understand why Sunset Grill would not serve a local product that is easy to get and far superior to the foreign product.
Another concern I had was the slow service. From our water, to our soup, to our dinner salad, everything took so long to arrive at our table. Our waiter asked if we wanted the soup served right away and we said yes. After about 15 minutes, I flagged down our waiter to ask him to bring it to our table. It took another 5 minutes before it arrived. Another couple who was seated a few minutes after us, had their soup served right away and their bowls were already removed before our soup even arrived.
I want to say that our first visit was just the opposite. Our waitress was friendly and efficient and our food was very good. Sorry, but I can only give Sunset Grill an average rating based on tonight's experience.

• Visited November 2013
We have reached out to this reviewer for additional information. We thank them for taking the time to post this review as well as provide further information to us so that we may make any adjustments necessary to improve the experience of our guests.
Easley, South Carolina
“Wow! I never would have thought of that!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is a restaurant that really thinks about food! I had a bowl of their Minorcan Conch Chowder and a bowl of their Chowder Fries. I think I went to Chowder Heaven!! The Minorcan Conch Chowder had just the right amount of heat and the flavors blended so beautifully! The Chowder Fries, WOW, the Chowder Fries!!! If you stop here of lunch or dinner you defiantly want to have some of these!

• Visited October 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us! Our "Chowder fries" were a new addition to our 2013 menu and have become a favorite of visitors and locals alike! So we're happy you liked them so much!
“Terrible”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Terrible experience on of the women in our group had a hair on her shrimp....she sent it back and when she got it back there was another hair. The manager wasn't even concerned about the incident. She was very rude. When we got our check we paid with cash and the waitress kept 93 cent which honestly I wasn't even give her a tip. Never will be back there and never will I recommend it to any one.

• Visited November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Our policy has always been to either replace or remove any item a guest may find a problem with. After investigating this review, we discovered that this meal was removed immediately from the final bill by a member of management. We apologize for any misunderstanding.