“special place”
Review of BlackFly

BlackFly
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackFly is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Zorayda Ave
Transit: A very short taxi ride from downtown.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

we were a party of 8 and had a very nice table in the large part of the restaurant. The A/C was working more than required, some folks might like bringing a sweater. I had the clams and pasta and I got about 18 whole clams, not pieces, but whole clams. It was delicious and just enough food. We are going back tomorrow night to see if it is still as good as our first trip.

1  Thank johnson1165

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Tried this place based on reviews and was glad we did. Food was good, nice choices for seafood and non seafood fans, decor was unique and the staff was all friendly. Price was decent and worth the try. It was nice to find a place with Maine lobster and some island favor.

1  Thank plicktaj
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were really excited to try this restaurant, since the owners of Collage Restaurant are part owners here. What a disappointment. We ordered the steak and cheese risotto as an appetizer, and it was delivered to our table in two minutes. That should have been a sign then, because freshly made risotto cannot be made in that amount of time. There was no salt added, so it was very bland. For the entrée, we ordered the Maine Lobster Mac and Cheese. When they presented it to us, the sauce was very watery and runny. My lobster was overcooked, as it was very chewy and my friend found a lobster shell in hers. Needless to say, we sent it back. The manager was very apologetic, and said that they don't shell the lobster themselves, as they have it brought in already shelled.

We then ordered what we thought would have to be freshly made, and that was margherita pizza. This was actually delicious, and really enjoyed it. To comp us for our not so great dining experience, they let us choose dessert. We chose the coconut brownie, with coconut crusted ice cream. The ice cream was really good, but the brownie was like cardboard.

We were so hoping that this dining experience would have been like their other restaurant, but it was definitely a let down. We won't come back to The Black Fly.

2  Thank swtjen
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stumbled upon this restaurant while driving to downtown St. Augustine from the beach. It got good ratings on tripadvisor and had a sticker stating so on the door. It was upscale but not so much that my 2 year old son wasn't welcome or we would feel as if we were disturbing someone's dinner date. He had french fries that he loved and so did we. We got an appetizer (spinach and artichoke dip) and it was yummy. I had fresh caught fish and my husband had lobster mac and cheese. We liked our meals and had plenty left over to eat for supper the next day. My son was happy that we were given a bumper sticker with our check and we may have to display it even though we are hundreds of miles away. Good food and friendly people.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We had reservations and were seated as soon as we arrived. The DH had the Ahi Tuna appetizer and I had the Crab Cakes. Both were delicious - and BTW, we always order different things and sample each others' choices :)
We split the Bahamian Conch Chowder and our server was right on the money with her suggestion to squeeze the fresh slice of lime into the chowder and add some Tabasco - OMG, so many levels of fresh, bright, tasty goodness!!
For entrees, the DH had the Flat Iron Steak and I had the Seared Fresh Catch (Mahi), and again, both were fantastic. The truffle fries that came with the steak were out of this world!!
We were far too stuffed to even contemplate dessert, so I can't comment on that!
We left fat and happy and look forward to returning for another great meal!

1  Thank cerelife