“unique cuisine”
Review of BlackFly

BlackFly
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackFly is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Zorayda Ave
Transit: A very short taxi ride from downtown.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The new Blackfly restaurant is a unique dining exprience. The food is served as an artistic display and is of the utmost quality. I particularly liked the thick Mahi Mahi dish. However, the lobster ravioli with truffle was outstanding. The restaurant itself is decorated with numerous paintings of Florida fish in bright colors. The staff were very personable, excellent but not overbearing. I recommend this upscale but casual restaurant... The owners also have another superb resaurant in St. Augustine (Collage) which has always been our romantic atmosphere favorite. They have done a wonderful job with the Blackfly also.

3  Thank bonnehall18
There are newer reviews for BlackFly

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a great experience at the Black Fly, starting out with a wonderful shrimp and fried rice appetizer, and finishing with the best flounder we have ever eaten! There were many interesting choices on the menu, but we both agreed we would have a hard time ordering anything other than the flounder. It was that good! There was a very nice selection of wines, and the staff couldn't have been more welcoming. In short, we had an outstanding experience.

3  Thank MelC52787
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a new establishment in the area and is associated with another local and highly rated restaurant ("Collage"). Blackfly certainly delivered equally on the food and service. The waitress was well versed on the menu and provided worthwhile recommendations. The wine list was adequate and reasonably priced. Our party of four were pleased with our dining experience and were visited tableside by the owner who welcomed our input on the meal. The Steak and Cheese Risotto appetizer was awesome and a great start to our meal. The only complaint from the party was that the Pan Seared Sea Scallops were a bit underdone.

As an upscale establishment however, I felt the ambiance was lacking. The booths were reminiscent of a pub atmosphere and hard surfaces throughout had a tendency to amplify the sound (see the website and judge for yourself).

This restaurant has many of the fundamentals to be another great dining establishment in St. Augustine. I am impressed by management's response on Trip Advisor in addressing comments, critique and input from customers. I certainly would recommend this restaurant and know the owners welcome customer input to put this new venture on an equal level with their other highly rated restaurant in St. Augustine.

1  Thank VinnytheChin
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Collage has always been my favorite restaurant, but am now also enamored of the owners' new restaurant. Blackfly has a more casual decor (art work by partner, Vaughn Cochran), but there is nothing casual about the food or service ... exemplary! The evening's specials are always certain to please ... fresh fish is usually the choice. We at Summerhouse appreciate having a truly excellent restaurant on the island side of the Bridge of Lions.

3  Thank JCV_CT
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were promptly seated as we had a reservation for Friday night. Our server was socially awkward and unsure of how to engage with his customers. Anyhow, we started off with cocktails. They didn't have Cointroue liqueur for a Cosmo so I ordered some tropical coconut drink. It was mediocre and I didn't finish it through the whole meal. We each ordered salads...I got the southwest Cesar which is a speciality of there's but I didn't find it special. It was average in taste. I ordered mahi blackened and it came with broccoli And mashed potatoes. It was very good. My spouse got fried shrimp which came with waffle fries and coleslaw with pineapple. The fries and shrimp were good.

About an hour and a half after we finished eating my stomach was violently hurting and resolved me to finish the night in the restroom. After expelling my food I was fine but something was foul with the food there. Our meal was $77.00 and the food isn't living up to the cost. Ado, our table was located in an area where hearing my spouse talk was hard at best. All the sounds and conversations in the restaurant seemed to gang up on our corner of the room.

The owner appears to have an expanding business model but more focus is needed on the restaurant food and noise.

collageowner, General Manager at BlackFly, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry you felt bad that night. There can be any number of reasons why your stomach rebelled- what you ate earlier in the day, a stomach bug, what you drank, a certain ingredient that doesn't agree with you, nerves... Please don't automatically blame the last thing you ate. The mahi mahi you were served that night came in that morning and couldn't have been fresher; we had run out of it the night before. The Caesar dressing is made in small batches and is always fresh and safe. Everything is cooked to order and nothing is held at temperature for any amount of time. We have several certified food managers on staff and a great deal of emphasis is put on doing things right.

Any restaurant can be loud when it's full. Often it's because of one table or even one loud individual. There's not much you can do about it. Since we opened we put cork on the ceiling and curtains on the windows. These have reduced the noise level a great deal, so much that we are seeing many customers who were put off by the noise initially come back and declare the sound levels acceptable.

We do have Cointreau, if that's what you were referring to. We have had it since the day we opened and have never run out.

Mike Hyatt