“I wanted to like this place so badly.”

Playa Chac-Mool Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: TUESDAY-SATURDAY 11:00A.M. - 9:00 P.M.SUNDAY 11:00 A.M. - 8:00 P.M.MONDAY CLOSED
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This place was right next to where we stayed in St. Augustine Beach. We decided an authentic Mexican lunch would be nice. I ordered the Carne Asada, and my husband got the fish tacos. The refried beans were really tasy, however, the carne asada was really tough and overcooked.

My husband said his fish tacos were "okay." Nothing special. We really wanted to like the place. The owner was super friendly, and even sang to the customers. Really great voice. Overall, average joe.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great family restaurant. Best margaritas at the beach. Chile rellenos are superb. The gas fireplace is also nice in the winter. Friday nights they have music.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Whenever I'm in St. Augustine, I make sure to stop here for a delicious Mexican meal. The food is great, the atmosphere is relaxed, and the staff is always pleasant and friendly. The prices are reasonable making this stop a great value.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a small family-run restaurant that gives Mexican food a taste of the owners' south of the border hometown flavor. The service is quick and helpful, and the dishes are tasty and hot. If you need help in understanding the menu, the waitress provides it with a smile.

My wife and I eat here about once a quarter. It's on the west side of the main road that hugs the ocean but in a less commercial block. So pay as you drive, or you might miss it.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We just had a wonderful meal here. The mood was very relaxed and you can't beat the all day happy hour. The owner brought out his guitar and we had a sing along of Christmas tunes.