“Needs a good vacuum”

Hampton Inn St. Augustine-Historic District
Ranked #20 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Hotel was conveniently located near many tourist attractions. Bathroom was spotless, but the remainder of the room was in desperate need of carpet cleaning and careful inspection. The hotel is getting tired, This was truly disappointing in a chain that usually satisfies fully.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 8, 2011

Hotel is an average Hampton Inn, probably with smaller than average rooms. Only issue was that either the room keys or locks are breaking down as we had to change rooms as the receptionist could not get any keys to work for the first room, then on our second room we always had to try several times to get the door open... not ideal...

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Stayed at this hotel 2 nights. It was really clean, lovely and in a great location, about 1 mile from downtown. Room was especially bright and clean as could possibly be. I absolutely love Hampton Inns!
The front desk clerk was very rude however, and acted like she was on stage. There was another couple checking in in front of us. She ignored us for 45 minutes while she described restaurants, printed info for them off the internet, and sold them Tram tickets. If they didn't have a 1 day advance cancellation policy I would have left then and there. They were quite embarrassed and kept telling her they could do it but she insisted on doing it for them. We stood there just waiting for her to finish planning their whole evening! Control freak is the word I would use.
From the time you enter, she wants you to know she is stressed out. There was another person there to help her, but she wouldn't allow them, as she was the only one who knew anything. She loudly and flamboyantly insulted the restaurants in the area to the guests and put big X's on their maps of the ones she "hated", made rude comments to others behind the desk, and was generally weird. We were very happy we could go in the rear entrance to avoid the chaos that was inevitably ensuing in front.
Tried to make us buy a ticket ($23/each) on some tram that only went to 7pm anyway. While we were checking in (which took 45 minutes) there were another 6 people waiting to check in, 2 of whom left to go elsewhere. Owners should realize she is costing them money. We tried to complain to the manager, but she was just as weird and could not take the time to listen to what I said and kept interrupting.
I will not stay at that hotel again. I have a feeling this is why the ratings are low on this establishment. I would have given it 5 if not for the staff. Stayed at a later date on our trip at another Hampton and was so happy to see a normal polite person behind the desk.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vfm78
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Compared to other Hampton Inns the rooms were a little small but nicely furnished. The front desk service was very friendly and helpful. We especially liked the location. It was too far to walk to the historic downtown but it was easy to get to and from anywhere we wanted to go. It was a short walk to the old jail and if you wanted to do the downtown tourist trolley thing, that was a short walk too. I would definitely choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank blayf
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Special thanx to both Lee and Christina for helping make our once a year vacation better than ever could have been planned.

Lee , Thank you for the time you spent with us after walking all day. We really felt welcome when we came back to the hotel and you were there.

Thank you all for the special attention given to my party there I look forward to another trip to St Augustine.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Being a frequent business traveler, it's important for me to stay at a place that's convenient to my work. But even more importantly, as a single female, I need to feel welcomed, comfortable and secure, especially when staying in unfamiliar areas. I've stayed at this hotel twice now within a month. I booked my first stay online since I didn't know the area but Hampton Inns are typically my perference because the beds are comfortable and the price is reasonable. I re-booked the second stay with the hotel itself because they won me over in the first visit! Let me first acknowledge the staff I have encountered:

Lee, a desk clerk, checked me in both times and has gone the 'extra' mile to earn my trust and loyalty... especially during my second stay. I had a last minute schedule change which forced me to come into town for the night to keep an early morning appt. I called the hotel at 6:30 pm and spoke to Lee, telling her my situation. She only had (3) rooms remaining and was very busy with walk-ins, but agreed to hold a room for me. When I arrived, I asked her if there were any fast-food deliveries nearby as I had not eaten all day. She raved about a chinese restaurant and gave me a menu to look over. By the time I got settled, it was late so I decided not to eat and returned the menu. She was so concerned about me not eating that she asked if she could order something for me along with her meal order as she had not had dinner herself. I thanked her but told her I had alot of work to do on computer for my morning mtg and would just get a snack from the vending machine. She asked me to wait a minute and brought me a healthy snack she had on hand. It was so thoughtful and sweet! She reminds me of a 'house mother' in college, simply because she is no-nonsense, very particular and takes her responsibilities to heart. Although she has to multi-task when working alone, she makes every effort to give each guest the undivided attention they deserve, even if that means suggesting to another guest that he go to get a fresh cup of coffee while waiting in effort to keep them from interrupting and crowding the guest she is currently serving, which is what she did while serving me. I can see how one may be put off by her 'direct' leadership style, especially if they are not getting 'their way', as I have witnessed a couple of 'challenging' guests and situations she has had to manage. But I am a supervisor myself in customer service and after just two stays and a handful of observations, as well as my own personal interaction with her, I think the hotel is very fortunate to have her as a representative! She has my vote!

The other staff I encountered was the General Mgr, Marcy, who was very apologetic after learning that I was not able to prepare for my morning mtg because the wireless connection was not working in my room. It would start to connect and then drop. She graciously offered me a free night to use anytime! She too, had gone the 'extra mile' to earn my trust and loyalty!

Finally... though it would be nice if the parking lot were larger and the rooms a little more comfortable with less furniture then a couple reviews suggest, all in all, the accomodations and amenities are nice and overall comparable to the price point. If I could make any suggestion that I believe would increase customer satisfaction, it would be to upgrade every room with a mini-fridge and microwave. It's a necessity in todays economy and the right thing to do for the guest.

If you are considering a stay at this hotel, don't hesitate. Everything is within reasonable driving distance and Marcy and Lee will make you feel right at home!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
marcellad, General Manager at Hampton Inn St. Augustine-Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2010

Thank You so much for your wonderful comments. We strive to make each and every guest feel at home here at Hampton Inn Historic, St.Augustine. I do remember you and your comments have been passed on to the staff. Once again, Thank You. Marcy Deering, General Manager

Reviewed September 23, 2010

As usual, the Hampton Inn came through and provided exactly the comfort level we were expecting. A group of 8 spent a long weekend celebrating birthdays by touring the city and having excellent dinners. (see Cordova 95, Raintree Restaurant and ) The Hampton Inn has always proved comfortable as did this one. However, the staff here are exceeptional. Lee, a front desk person, kept us going to the best restaurants, helping with transportation needs, etc. The new do-it-yourself waffles are excellent. The fresh fruit could have been a bit more imaginative but at least there ws some fruit.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
mmaxwell, General Manager at Hampton Inn St. Augustine-Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2010

Hello Chucklicht: Thank You for your very nice comments, I will pass them along to the entire staff and I will personally let Lee know that you enjoyed her suggestions. Once again, Thank You for staying at the Hampton Historic St.Augustine, Florida. Marcy Deering, General Manager