“Hampton Inn dropped the ball”

Hampton Inn St. Augustine-Historic District
Ranked #20 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was very disappointed with this Hampton Inn. Yes the building my have been older than most however that is not a reason to allow the place to fall apart. The carpet in our room had stains all over the A/C was not the best and the shower was way too small. When you remodel a building it should look almost perfect on the inside. I shouldn't be able to see the sub-floor from my bed. The Hilton in town is a much better deal.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear guest ,

I’m Jeff Vallone GM at the Hampton Inn Historic, St. Augustine FL. Thank you for staying with us when you were in town. As GM at this property, I’m sorry that you were unhappy with the condition of our property. We do have planned renovations that will address some of the areas you discussed. Our hotel prides its self on cleanliness and customer service and your review will allow us an opportunity to improve those areas Our intent is to 100% satisfy all our guest.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

The receptionist at check in was very nice but not very helpful about restaurants--the breakfoot food was mediocre. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfy-we got connecting rooms which was a great blessing(my mother and daughter were in one room and I was in another) but the pool was dirty and the person at the front desk (different person than at check in) was not very helpful. I do not plan to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear guest ,

I’m Jeff Vallone GM at the Hampton Inn Historic, St. Augustine FL. Thank you for staying with us when you were in town. As GM at this property, I’m sorry that you were unhappy with the condition of our pool, breakfast food, and the perceived uncaring staff member during you stay at the hotel Our hotel prides its self on cleanliness and customer service and your review will allow us an opportunity to improve those areas. I’m disappointed that we will not be given another chance so that you personally can see how we have improved. I hope your stay with our hotel will not prevent you from staying with other Hilton properties. Our intent is to 100% satisfy all our guest.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

The staff at the Hampton go out of their way to make you feel welcome and to assist you in any way possible. From fresh baked cookies to the freshest scent of linen its a delight staying here, even in the rain. The atmosphere of kindness and gratitude is contagious, even if you're arriving weary and tired. Helpful and knowledgeable staff are ready to assist you above and beyond the usual. I would definitely reccommend to anyone visiting this area. Thank you all for your generosity of spirit.

Kirk and Kathryn

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear Kirk and Kathryn ,

Thanks again for staying with us and for reviewing our hotel. I hope you can come back for another visit and we again can provide the accommodations’ and service that makes you feel welcome.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

This was a nice hotel, the receptionist was very helpful and we got a lovely quiet room, and very comfortable beds. The historic district was about a 20 minute walk from the hotel and was a lovely walk. The Fountain of Youth was only about a 15 minute walk. There was no fridge or microwave in the room and the room was a little on the small size but overall for the price very good. The pool was right on the road side and it was a busy road. The breakfast in the morning was very good. Places to eat required a 15 minute walk which when the weather is not too hot is lovely. The sight seeing trains were quite expensive but did take you everywhere and you could get on and off anywhere during the day and get on again when you had looked round - the hotel would sort this out for you.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GOODHANDBAG
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

I’m Jeff Vallone GM at the Hampton Inn Historic, St. Augustine FL. Thank you for your positive feedback! I’m so glad that you enjoyed you visit to the oldest city. It’s our pleasure to offer you great Hampton service, and I’m so glad you chose our hotel for your lodging needs. We do have plans to add a fridge and microwave in all the rooms. Hopefully by your next visit to our hotel.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Enjoyed our stay. Staff was nice, breakfast good. Rooms relatively quiet. A little too far to walk to downtown but short drive to downtown and vilano beach. Can walk to carousel and park if you have kids. Will stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Reviewed March 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed for three nights at this Hampton Inn. You cannot walk to downtown St. Augustine from here. But you can walk up to the Old Trolley Tours pick up area. We realize that this Hampton is old but we were disappointed. We usually stay at Hampton Inn so we thought the hotel would be better than it turned out to be. Most of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is right NEXT to 1A so there is ALOT of traffic noise. Right on the other side of 1A there is a railroad track, which has quite a bit of train traffic. Noisy also. Rooms are average. Beds were ok. We have had better beds at other Hampton Inns. There is an outside pool and jacuzzi. The jacuzzi was dirty with lots of dead bugs. There was no microwave or refrig in room. There is suppose to be 24 hour hot coffee and water for tea and hot chocolate. But two nights around 10 p.m. we went downstairs to get coffee and both the coffee and water were only luke warm. And there was no way to heat it up since we didn't have a microwave in our room. Breakfast was pretty good. One morning they ran out of eggs and it was only 9:15 am. The first and second morning we did not have a newspaper outside our room. But on the last day there was one put there. There is a small workout room, which was directly across from the room we stayed in (#221). At first we thought the noise from the workout room would keep us up since it is open from 6 a.m. to midnight. But our room was actually was very quiet. We did sleep good at this Hampton but we wished we would have book our stay at another hotel.

Room Tip: Due to road and train noise stay in a room as far from the front of the building as you can.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank countdowntovacation
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Reviewed March 9, 2012

The reception staff were excellent both for check-in, check-out and also when they found us another room when the toilet cistern kept running after flushing. Looking at other reviews this is obviously a maintenance issue. The food was fine although the breakfast area could have had a couple more tables as some people had to eat whilst standing. The biggest problem was lack of cleanliness. The rooms and corridors needed a really good vacuum and the dusting in the rooms was non-existent. The beds were clean and comfortable but other aspects of cleanliness were not up to the usual Hampton Inns' standard. This was one of 12 Hampton Inns that we stayed at during our trip to Florida and it was definitely the dirtiest. The worst part was when we found a cockroach on the corridor carpet as we were taking our bags to the car. When we reported it, a member of staff quickly removed it in a piece of tissue but it was not a good experience. Fortunately we had only booked for one night. Sadly it was my birthday.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Jeff V, General Manager at Hampton Inn St. Augustine-Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear ,

I’m Jeff Vallone GM at the Hampton Inn Historic, St. Augustine FL. Thank you for staying with us when you were in town. As GM at this property, I’m sorry that you were unhappy your stay with our Hampton Inn. Our hotel prides its self on cleanliness and customer service and your review will allow us an opportunity to improve those areas Our intent is to 100% satisfy all our guest. Hope to see you soon!