“Usual Hampton Quality”

Hampton Inn St. Augustine - I-95
Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Stayed at this Hampton Inn, near I-95 in St. Augustine the nights of April 18 and 19, 2011. It is about a 10 minute drive to the Historical District. There is a closer Hampton Inn to the Historic District, but they wanted more than twice the price for a king size bed than was offered at this Hampton Inn. The room was the usual fine quality I have come to associate with Hampton - very clean, comfortable bed, everything well maintained, tastefull decor, staff very nice and friendly, no surprises. Actually there was a surpise. They serve fresh baked cookies in the lobby everynight at 6 PM. Even if you do not return to the hotel until 9 PM there are still plenty of cookies for the taking.

My only problem was some noise issues. They have a refrigerator sitting in a wooden cabinet, and I guess the cabinent becomes an amplifying baffle for the refrigerator. When the compressor came on, the hum was so loud and annoying that I turned the refrigerator off. Next, the AC unit was way too loud, as it seems to be at most motels. If you need to turn the TV louder everytime the AC comes on, and then turn it down when the AC shuts off, the AC unit is too loud. Lastly they the lights in the bathroom and the foyer by the door must have old fluorescent ballasts, because they made loud annoying hums when turned on.

All things considered, i would not hesitate to stay at this Hampton Inn again, but I wish they would address the sources of the noises in the room. I would have given this motel five stars if not for the hums and noises in the room.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 16, 2011

Initially we selected this motel because of a billboard that we passed 15 miles north of it that said rooms were $49. We stopped around 3pm and there were none of the $49 rooms available, so we had to pay double that! On our way to our room I observed that the elevator floors had been modified, and a non-standard edge created in the doorway of the elevator car. It was loose, incompletely secured with incorrect screws, and it snagged the bottom of my bags as I dragged them onto the car. The other elevator's threshold was similarly altered and posed an even greater trip hazard!
Reaching our room we found the TV to be inoperative, the refrigerator to be warm and the toilet was running. Jiggling the handle did not resolve the issue, lifting the lid and manually lowering the flapper stopped the running after the tank filled, but it would stick open each time it was flushed.
Management was advised and cheerfully changed our room immediately. After failing to gain access to the new room the manager's assistant said that all the rooms on that side of the hall have the door handles in backwards so that one has to LIFT the lever instead of lowering the handle in order to gain access. After that everything was fine, except that the toilet tank had the very same problem with the flapper sticking open after each flush...very annoying!
This has never been our experience at any of the other Hampton's we have always chosen for overnight stays.
The KFC next door was convenient but not worth much as a restaurant!

Room Tip: Call ahead from your cellphone!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I was in town for wedding being held near fort but chose here for price. While we had to drive into old city the drive was quick & easy & the staff were very friendly. We escaped the tourist traffic & had access to Publix supermarket, I95 & resturants.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I stayed at this location for one night, with our party renting two rooms. Both rooms were nice and spacious, clean and had flat screen TV's.

The staff there were outstanding in making us feel comfortable and welcome. They served fresh cookies at 6pm and the breakfast was good too. Warm and plenty of selection.

The only complaint I have is that two phone calls to Canada of less than 30 minutes total cost $48. This isn't 1995 any more. I made an inquiry about a rate reduction at the desk on check out but was only given a business card of the manager. I was disappointed by that.

Overall, a very friendly place to stay, but do use another service to make long distance phone calls.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Checked in late in evening. Manager was friendly and helpful, even helped resolve internet connection problem. Room was spotless, breakfast was fresh, table clean, staff friendly. Seemed everyone had a smile. Got a call a few days after I left that a garment was left in the room and they were sending it to me. Guess I should have expected that with the level of service.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank critic34293
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Hotel like new, very clean, comfortable and quiet. Location within 15 minutes to historic district.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
RLHoffman, General Manager at Hampton Inn St. Augustine - I-95, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2011

Thanks for your review! People are the secret to our success - both our Hampton Guests and our Hampton Team. We appreciate each and every guest - and we especially appreciate the great feedback! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

Stayed one night at the Hampton Inn on SR 16. We arrived a little early and the room was not ready but they checked us in and gave us our keys. We returned after some shopping and dinner at Sonny's Barbecue and the room was ready. The room was as advertised and clean. They forgot the fold away cot but quickly sent one up. The warm cookies were a great snack before bed. The morning breakfast was excellent and plentiful. The lady working the breakfast area worked hard to make sure everything was well stocked. The hot choices were sausage and two types of omellettes. The big hit as usual were the waffles.

Ashly on the front desk was an excellent ambassador for Hampton Inns and she was an asset to the company. She was friendly and always had a smile on her face.

We would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
RLHoffman, General Manager at Hampton Inn St. Augustine - I-95, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! We appreciate our people and are glad that it shows. We look forward to having as our guests next time you visit Saint Augustine and thanks for making the Hampton Inn your Home Away form Home!

Robert Hoffman