I spent a week at the hotel, for a golf-mania trip that included attending The Players Championship at nearby TPC Sawgrass. If you want to visit the Golf Hall of Fame and play at the WGV courses, the Renaissance is a great option. You can walk to the Hall of Fame or the Slammer & Squire course/practice area, and also amble over to the massive two-story Tour Stop golf shop.
The hotel itself is comfortable, although calling it a "resort" stretches the definition. The room was clean and decent-sized, with comfortable beds and good-quality linens. The small refrigerator was very useful (although there's no mini bar). The bathroom was clean and very serviceable, if not elegant ; no marble floors here. Many of the rooms have small balconies - try to get one if you're there when the weather is mild, if you'd enjoy sitting outside for coffee. The hotel is an atrium design for all 9 floors, giving it a very open feel inside.
The one hotel restaurant on the ground floor is adequate, if pretty run-of-the-mill. If you're a foodie, your best bet is the Italian restaurant in the "village" (great lasagna!), or else you'll be driving in to St. Augustine about 15-20 minutes away. This highlights one potential drawback - other than the WGV and a couple of golf courses, there isn't much in the way of entertainment close by. Fortunately there's a grocery store at the village entrance, and a couple of big outlet malls about five miles away; so you can buy anything you forgot to bring!
Service was a mixed bag. Much of the staff seems quite young, well-meaning but inexperienced. A service request took several repeats to be addressed, a fax didn't get delivered - just minor issues. But everyone was friendly, and the concierge was an expert advisor.
All in all, the Renaissance was a fine place to stay and a convenient base for our golf vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore everything that downtown St. Augustine has to offer! Renaissance World Golf Village Resort and Convention Center offers a complimentary shuttle for individual guests to and from downtown St. Augustine(based on availability). The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort offers fresh, well appointed accommodations featuring 37 inch flat-panel televisions, sparkling new bathrooms and furnishings, high-speed wireless Internet access, spacious work areas, wet bars and refrigerators among many modern luxuries. Meet in the largest combination hotel and convention center between Orlando and Atlanta. Within 15 minutes of the resort enjoy 108 holes of championship golf, including the Slammer and Squire, located just steps from your guest room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Marriott, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance World Golf Village Hotel Saint Augustine
- Renaissance Saint Augustine
- Saint Augustine Renaissance