World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Huntsville, Alabama
“Murphy's Law”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

When things can go wrong, usually they do with me and my family . Most of the time the outcome of such things are better in the end , however I must say I am disappointed with this hotel.
When we arrived ( after 2 pm) our room still was not ready, so we have the woman behind the desk our number to call us when it was . After 2 hours and no call we decided to head back and see what was going on. The woman behind the desk told us they did call and left a message , I told her no.. No one called . She recited the number 123-456-789.... The woman who I left the number with ( who re-read the number to me didn't write down the last number to our phone number , thus no call... After seeing this she comped our breakfast for the next morning.. Fine . Then we went to our room after dinner and watched TV.. However the TV had a small glitch and was about 1/10 th Of its picture size, so we had to call maintenance who came an fixed it . The morning we left, our toilet stopped working , wouldn't flush at all... I told the front desk and we left. All in all the hotel is a wonderful location but maintenance needs to be a TOP priority at this hotel... For it is most surly lacking . I don't know if ill stay here again...

• Stayed June 2014
JeffreyOliasami, General Manager at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and please plan to visit us again. I am sorry the guest service error prevented us from being able to get you into your room early. I am happy to hear that breakfast was offered for the inconvenience and I hope that you enjoyed the restaurant. We strive to stay ahead of items needing attention in the guest rooms and I apologize that you had to report anything to us. I truly hope you will stay with us again in the future and allow us to provide a perfectly relaxing stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Let's start by saying, I don't play golf... but I chose the location as it was convenient to the places I wanted to go (St. Augustine, FL). First off, it can be seen from I-95 but it will take another five minutes or more to wind around the property to get to the hotel. Parking is hit or miss. A popular restaurant (Caddyshack) is adjacent to the hotel so parking is shared. There are no luggage carts to be found (nor trash cans). Check in was fast. As a Gold Hilton Honors member I inquired about free breakfast but since this is a report, no freebie. I was given a free movie to watch on cable. I didn't. I checked in a little before the normal check in time (4pm) and was given a room. Corner room, golf course side. Nice sunsets. Could see pool and practice putting greens. Small room but comfy. Couch and chair and desk with chair. Room also contained a wet bar. Lots of lighting. Nice TV with lots of channels. Soft towels and Aveda hair care products along with other bathroom necessities. One concern was what seemingly looked like mold in a/c vents (see photo). Hotel is beautiful with artwork hanging from ceiling and a stream in the middle. There is a "real" Starbucks inside the hotel as we did not choose to go for the pricey breakfast. Staff was friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for the golf course view. Much better, and quieter, than parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GRGADA
Thank you for choosing our resort and for sharing the highlights of your stay with others. We appreciate the compliments to the associates and the service they provided you. I hope you will stay with us again in the future; there is always more to see in St. Augustine.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for business the first week of June. The conference center was easily accessible although freezing -- bring a sweater! The lobby was lovely. The room was tidy and functional, but I expected a bit more "wow" for a Renaissance. The bar and restaurant were comfortable and the food/beverage was good, though the service was slower than ideal.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments to others considering a visit to the Renaissance. I appreciate your review and we will continue to improve the service provided in our restaurant, please come back and see us when you travel again.
Santa Ynez
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at this Hotel for business first week of June for 4 nights. The decor is very impressive with a major water feature in the middle of the Hotel. I was surprised to hear the waterfalls from the atrium inside my room. It was not annoying but surprisingly loud. The room itself is comfortable and I do like the 40 inch flat screen, but I expected a bit more appointments for a Marriott. I am not a Golfer but if you are, you may want to stay at this hotel. You are a short walk to the Golf Hall of Fame, Bill Murray's restaurant, Caddy Shack, and many surrounding links to choose from. I am used to having a newspaper outside my door and access to fresh morning coffee in the lobby. Water features are expensive. Expect to pay for your USA Today and visit the Starbucks in the resorts store. The employees were personable and I had no problems with housekeeping. I did not dine at the Hotel's restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank paca7877
Thank you choosing our resort for your stay in St. Augustine. We agree that even if golf does not bring you to the resort property the surrounding amenities are enjoyable and make a beautiful background to any stay. I am sorry that some of the expected items were not included in your stay and rather available for purchase on the property. We hope you will consider a return visit with us in the future.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a stay at the Renaissance. Let me preface by saying that I used Marriott points and was afforded free internet, so I am not reviewing from a cost perspective. We loved the place. The people were friendly, the grounds were impeccable, the lobby is fantastic. We really loved the short walk to the IMAX theater at the Golf Hall of Fame. The Hotel is a bit remote, but we had a rental car, and it was an easy drive to St. Augustine and the beach,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris M
We are happy to hear you enjoyed the resort and the unique location within St. Augustine. I want to thank you for sharing your experience and we are looking forward to your next visit as well.
Palmdale, California
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Hotel property category 4 rating is correct. Although nice, there are too many small things wrong. Stayed 6/2-6/5. Three night allowed me to enjoy the beautiful city of St. Augustine while viewing home sights within a 20 mile radius. Chair upon arrival was broke. They did replace it however. Room smelled of smoke so they provided me with a small machine to minimize smoke smell. Second evening returning to room 210, I had to go to the desk four times for keys as I left original in room. Finally desk clerk went up to open room. Fortunately, I did not see any spiders as others have experienced. My room was scheduled to be out of order after my second day. I hope they fix the toilet. Very noisy. I rated the property average; it is my hope that the necessary steps are taken to improve it's category because the location with all the natural beauty around is a plus. I would also suggest an additional amenity for your gold and platinum members.

Room Tip: Request an updated room not in need of repairs. A higher floor could limit the noise from the bar/l...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us while you were exploring the area. I apologize you were placed in a room that needed our attention and you had to report those items to us. I appreciate honest feedback from our guests as it allows me to make changes the resort needs to be constantly improving. Thank you again for staying and we look forward to having you as our guest in the future.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2014

As a loyal Marriott member, I was excited to stay at what appeared to be a wonderful Marriott Resort. While I am typically in St. Augustine for business I decided to extend my stay for the weekend and have my husband accompany me. The entrance of the hotel is beautiful, as is the atrium. Upon arrival in my room, the perception of this hotel began going downhill. The room seemed slightly outdated, older carpet, marks all over the walls and to my surprise there even appeared to be blood on the curtains. There were a couple spider sightings in the room and we didn't think much of it until I woke up with bites. We also didn't notice the 1 1/2-2 inch gap under the door until we tried to go to bed that night. We heard EVERYTHING. While this could be enjoyable as you hear the sound of the fountain, we also heard anyone who walked by the room, and all of the guests hanging out at the bar/restaurant. And to avoid misunderstanding, this was after midnight. We had to roll up a towel and place it tightly against the door to mute the noise. The following Saturday morning, we had intended on sleeping in a little bit as we don't get to take a romantic trip away often. Unfortunately, there was a motorcycle fest and we were awoken by motorcycles continuously revving their engines before 8am. When discussing my concerns with the front desk I was told, "Oh we are sorry. We knew people on the second floor would be affected by the noise, but not on the third." Really? That was the best response I could get? To top it off, our disappointment continued during our visit to the pool that afternoon. First, the location of the towels is not clearly marked, so not only did we wander around trying to find them, we discovered there were not any towels left. I went to the desk to request more towels and was told I had to wait until more towels were brought out. I returned to my chair outside and found another guest had been delivered towels for his family. I asked the staff member for towels for myself and my husband and was again told I would have to wait. I am not sure what constitutes privileges of one guest over another, but every guest should be treated with courtesy and respect. I will not stay at this hotel in the future. I was much happier with the Courtyard Marriott near 1-95 and would recommend other travelers to do the same. Very disappointed with this hotel, the staff and my experience.

Room Tip: Choose a higher room to avoid the noise from the atrium and outside. I was also told that a room do...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KMart3307
Thank you for staying with us while spending an extended time in St. Augustine and thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott brand of hotels. I appreciate the information you provided in your review and I apologize that your stay was not typical of the service and accommodation we strive to provide our guests. I assure you I have addressed these matters with our team and made corrections. I hope that you will consider a return stay with us in the future so that we may prove the resort can be your romantic getaway.