“Wow! What a nice hotel!!”

World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort
Ranked #31 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Our recent trip to St. Augustine's World Gof Village was secretly planned as a surprise birthday gift to my husband (an avid golfer) for his 73rd birthday. He had no idea where we were going until we arrived. This hotel exceeded my expectations completely! The hotel has a beautiful open atrium from the lobby all the way up to the top 9th floor! There are four glass enclosed elevators with a view over the indoor fountains, waterfalls and river located in the middle of the atrium. Many large circles (mixed colors and metallic) hang from the ceiling and reflect sunlight over the entire atrium area.

Our room was large, squeeky clean, and very tastefully decorated. Nice robes hung in the closet, and the lemongrass soaps and shampoos in the bathroom was a nice spa touch. Most rooms had balconies with 2 chairs and a table, but our room did not. Anyway, It was a little too hot and humid to sit outdoors in Florida in July, so we did not even miss the balcony. There was a refrigerator, a marble countertop with a mini sink, and coffee service in the room, which was very convenient. I was glad to find that the room was really quiet at night, unlike some of the previous reviews which I read on this website. Perhaps that was because we were on the 9th floor and a few steps down a corridor.

I used the exercise room and was impressed by the modern equipment (private tv and earphones on each treadmill, a large sauna, etc.) There was even a basket with fresh fruit on top of the water cooler!

We got the senior citizen discount on the Marriott website which was only $101/night plus tax. What a wonderful hotel for such a low price!

This World Golf Village is a large complex with 4 golf courses, the World Golf Hall of Fame, Imax theatre, huge pro golf shops, restaurants, large day spa, etc. You wouldn't run out of things to see and do there, expecially if you are a golfer. St. Augustine is about 20 minutes from the complex, but if you are going on a weekend, you need to make two separate weekend trips to give each one justice.

On the down side, parking is limited. There is always valet parking available, but free parking seems to be a problem. There are additional spaces available to park, but you have to walk a distance to the hotel from where they are located, mostly over by the shopping area. Also, the concierge was there on Friday when we arrived, but on Saturday and Sunday there was a sign on her desk instructing people to go to the main desk for assistance. You would think that Saturday and Sunday would be her busiest days.....

In summary, I would recommend the Marriott Renaissance Resort to anyone, golfer or non-golfer. The world class spa would be enough for me to return (without my golfing husband) either alone or with a girl friend for spa treatments. I don't think you can go wrong with this hotel.

P.S. OK, I just re-read my review and it sounds like a hotel employee wrote it, but honestly I have no connections with Marriott, I just liked this hotel and did my best to give you as much detail as possible! :)

1  Thank KyJen

Reviewed July 25, 2008

We live in Panama City, FL and whenever we feel it's time to get away just to destress, we get on Rte 10 and drive over to the World Golf Village. We stayed at the Renaissance and completely relaxed. The renovations are just lovely. In reading other reviews, some people complained about noise. We heard no noise at all when we were in our room. The check-in and out is very fast and efficient and the concierge helped us a lot because we were meeting some family members at a restaurant about 1/2 hour away and we were not sure how to get there. She got us right to the door. I do agree with the reviewer who talked about the steakhouse in the World Golf Village. We ate there one other time and will not eat there again. Eat at the buffet or at Caddy Shack. The final thing is that when we got home I realized I had left my cellphone charger in the room. I emailed them and they are sending it to me. Very nice!

1  Thank annierod
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My husband and I live in Orlando and just wanted to 'get-away' for the weekend. St. Augustine is about an hour and a half away so not too much time was spent traveling just for a weekend getaway. James loves to play golf so I booked it to celebrate his birthday weekend. The resort has recently been re-furbished and it has a nice elegant, yet contemporary feel.

The mattresses were super comfy and the sheets even nicer! You know how you can't wait to get home to get in your won bed? Well, not this one! I didn't want to leave the bed!

The property is also very nice. We didn't get to go to the Golf Hall of Fame, but I know there's an IMAX theatre there which shows current movies. The one that was showing on Saturday night was the new Batman movie, "Dark Night". We didn't see it, but heard it was sold out.

The whirlpool/jacuzzi that was there was very small and occupied by kids when we tried to go, so we didn't get a chance to go.

Breakfast in the hotel: we had the breakfast buffet. They had an omellette station there along with all the buffet must-haves: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, corned-beef hash, fruit, yogurt, milk. And the service was polite and friendly.

On Saturday night we had dinner at Augustino's. An Italian Steakhouse that was on the resort's property. This is highly NOT RECOMMENDED. Before we started our meal we overheard the table behind us complain to the waitress that it was "the worst Italian meal that they had ever had." We were trying to be inconspicuous in listening and got a little scared about the food about to be served to us. The blue crabcakes that James got were good, but the lobster bisque I got was awful. It was so sweet! I know what lobster bisque is supposed to taste like and that is NOT it. I had ask for it to be taken away (and good thing the waitress did the right thing and removed that item off of the bill!). For the main course, James had the Shrimp Augustini (the *special*). The sauce that it was in was supposed to be lemony, but it tasted really bad. Another couple joined us (friends of ours) joined us also and my friend got a pasta dish and had chicken added to it. The chicken looked like dried up pieces of mushrooms! They were flat and crispy. She didn't have the heart to complain about it so never ate it - and got charged the extra $4 to have the chicken added. It just wasn't fresh and looked like it was overcooked, overseasoned and overblackened.

I recommended the golf cart driver who drove us back to the resort (because it was raining) not to ever recommend that restuaurant to guests. And if I could say to the hotel: "Stop advertising it on the in-room hotel channel!"

GOLF: James reported that the courses were nice, but his game got cut short due to [normal] Florida summer thunderstorms. He only got to the 5th hole.

SPA: The La Terra spa is where I went with my friend while the guys played golf. VERRRY nice! I've been to many spas and had never gotten a body scrub before. Very interesting! And I'd do it again. I got the La Florida. My skin is smooth and soft! My friend got a fascial and she sait was great! And the nicest spa she's ever been to.

Reviewed July 18, 2008

This hotel is tucked at the very end of the entrance to the World Golf Resort area. The lobby/atrium area is beautiful and the rooms are tastefully decorated. It is about a 10-15 minute drive to downtown St. Augustine. I like the contemporary and modern feel of the hotel (something I was afraid I would not get in downtown St. Augustine hotels). The pool is very nice and the gentleman at the front desk was extremely helpful. If you are looking for some evening action, this is probably not the place for you as it seems quiet and secluded amidst the golf resort. I would highly recommend this hotel for golfers of course, people who like modern amenities, people with children, and couples who want solitude. Overall, this was an excellent stay! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Amerasiangirl
Reviewed July 17, 2008

The World Golf Village is a wonderful place to stay if you want some piece of quite!! My husband and I went for our 1 year wedding anniversary and it was a wonderful trip. There is a lot of history in this small town and the resort itself is amazing!

Reviewed May 11, 2008

My boyfriend and I traveled with our two small children in early 2007 and again just recently and both times we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. They have a good size pool with hot tub and even a playground for young children! They have a breakfast buffet ($15/person however kids are free) which consisted of pancakes, bacon, sausage, grits, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, breads, etc. Chocolate and white milk were also avail. at no additional charge. Our waitress was very kind too. The hotel has undergone a complete renovation and looks FABULOUS! Our check in went very smoothly and the front desk manager (don't remember his name) even upgraded us to a pool view at no additional charge!! Our room had two double beds (VERY COMFY by the way) with down comforters, a decent size bathroom and even a balcony overlooking the pool, hot tub and playground. The flat screen tv in the room was a bonus. Only problem with the bathroom was there was no fan to circulate the air so the bathroom tended to get "muggy". Overall we have been here two times and can't wait to come back. KUDOS to this hotel!! All hotels should be like this! THANKS FOR THE GREAT STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2008

The newly re-furbished rooms at the Renaissance Hotel at World Golf Village are quite lovely, we enjoyed a "light" dinner at the bar/bistro instead of the "pricier" dining room, and settled in for a night of sleep which was not to come. The hotel has put in a "vacuum" type of toilet which could be heard in our room no matter where it was flushed! How disappointing that more soundproofing was not done.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple