“If You Love Golf…” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Melbourne, Florida
“If You Love Golf…”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Then stay at the Renaissance World golf Village in St. Augustine. This resort is surrounded by golf. Adjacent to the property is the World Golf Hall of Fame, various golf centric activities, two courses designed by golfing legends, and the largest golf shop in the world.

I however don’t care about golf, but stayed here while visiting the St. Augustine area on a family getaway trip. The resort is about 20 minutes from the historic district, and I chose this resort because I am a Marriott rewards gold level member, and was looking to stay within the brand, but at a nicer property.

As a Marriott Gold member, few of the “perks” are available at this property. Gold members generally receive free room upgrades, free breakfast, and free internet access. Of these only the free internet was available (which normally cost $12.95/day). The room upgrade cost $50/night for an upgrade from a standard room to the Jr. Suite. Breakfast is $16.95 for a continental buffet in the restaurant on the first floor.

Since I was with my family, I choose to pay the additional fee for the Junior suite, which is a little less than twice the size of the normal room. This suite provided a bedroom area, a large balcony, and a living room area with an attached bathroom. The normal room must be rather small if the Suite was twice the size, as it was certainly not huge, and at times felt a little cramped with 4 of us.

In general for the caliber of the resort, the rooms were run down. There were stains on the furniture, window dressing, and carpets. The balcony area was a no-go as it was overwhelmed with insects and spiders (more on this later). The bathroom was the highlight of the room, with a decent sized area, and nice stone countertops.

Strangely though, the door to the bathroom and the main door had a gap at the bottom of about an inch (maybe a little more). Looking around the hotel all of the doors seemed to be constructed this way. Below the doors there were granite thresholds, which combined with the gaps, provided a nice reflection to see into the room, or bathroom if you were at the right angle. I strongly recommend throwing a towel down in front of doors if you desire privacy.

Our room was on the north-west corner of the building, which from the balcony provided a terrific view of the golf hall of fame, the course, the putting course, and the pool area below. Aside from the morning maintenance on the golf course, I noticed no distracting noises from the outside. Given the proximity to the Interstate, eastern facing rooms may have some traffic noises.

The biggest distraction on the balcony was the insects. I am not sure what they were, but they were reasonably docile, and content to just hang out on the walls. This however brought spiders, and a lot of them to the balcony. The area was covered with webs, and in the evenings the spiders came out. I saw at least 30 on the wrap-around balcony area. Normally spiders do not concern me much as I am from Florida, and it’s a pretty normal thing around here. These spiders however had a body shape similar to the Widow family, and the nests, and webs were similar too. They were light brown though, so I am unsure what they were. I took caution and prohibited the children from going out once I discovered this. Unless the balcony has been swept clean, I would suggest avoiding it all together. This is a shame since the weather was beautiful and the sunsets gorgeous from our 8th floor view.

The beds were rather firm, and somewhat uncomfortable for me, but the linens were fresh as would be expected at a Marriott. The towels in the room (of which there were only three for the suite that slept 6) were in very good condition for a hotel.

I found that there was also a slight odor to the room when first arriving, and at one time, the sink in the open room was gurgling indicating a plumbing problem somewhere which may have been related to the smell.

Around the grounds is a jogging area, an exercise room (with a sauna), a pool, a playground, a game room (with two xbox-360s with a couple of games), and a billiards room. We took advantage of the small playground, and the pool (with a hot tub). The pool is a large circle shape, maybe 40-50 feet across. With few people at the hotel the time we stayed, we had the pool to ourselves until one of our party was injured from loosen screw on a drain cover underwater. The hotel response was to close the pool, and apologize. They did offer medical attention, but we declined due to the lack of severity of the cut.

Overall there were some good aspects to this hotel, and there were some negatives. I was most disappointed by the lack of perks offered to the Marriott Elite guests. I feel though, that the hotel needs maintenance, and the rooms need to be cleaned better (especially the balconies!). If Golf is your thing, then this is likely the place for you. If you are visiting St. Augustine with the family, there may be better options with other brands.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor, on the western side. Some rooms have balconies, which may be desirab...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Clayton K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed there for 4 days and upon check in we were pleasantly surprised how nice and friendly we were welcomed! The front desk area is a bit confusing upon check in, but check in went well. Our room had a view of the golf course with a nice size balcony, nice bar area in standard room. The room service staff were extremely accommodating!! While the boys golfed we enjoyed our time at the pool.. The pool area is beautiful with plenty of seating/lounges.. The downfall at the pool was a lot of people ordered food & drinks and the staff didn't return to clean up the area as there were no garbage cans at the pool! The grounds are beautiful, you step out of the resort and follow the walkway to the lake which leads to the Golf Hall of Fame.. There's the "Caddy Shack" restaurant however we were not a fan of the food!! By the Golf Hall of Fame there is a challenge hole like at TPS Sawgrass of the 17th hole.. Lots of fun & IMAX !! We drove a shirt distance to downtown St. Augustine and it was so crowded and hard to get around we were very happy we stayed at the renaissance vs St. Augustine downtown hotels!! I highly recommend this Resort!!

• Stayed May 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here recently for a conference. Hotel and grounds were impressive even though we are not golfers. Staff were friendly and helpful. Beds were not the most comfortable and the pillows were small and lumpy. Took the shuttle into Saint Augustine for an afternoon of sightseeing and dinner. Very convenient. Just wish they offered a shuttle to the outlet malls which are just a few miles away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The resort is beautiful and very large. The service staff was very nice. They were nice for all 3 TV remotes that we needed- a problem with having a working remote. The beautiful pool was filled with kids, no chance an adult would be able to use it. There is a beautiful area to sit outside on the patio and drink wine or order food. The food is "so-so," overpriced and nothing great. The room was clean and beautiful. We had used a well-known online hotel vendor (and we only saved $3) and that is why we were "curtly" told that we received a room with a balcony that overlooked a rooftop and air cond. systems. "Making reservations through a 3rd party" reservations won't get you a nice room. And even though I had called to confirm we had a king room, when I got there they said "no," because we didn't reserve through their system. The air cond. in the room didn't work. The toilet is the loudest toilet I've ever heard. I would not return at this hotel with the rate I paid.

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel web site and make sure you don't get the side with the air cond.
2 Thank NorthCarolinaMolly
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. I apologize that you were not provided with the room you requested but unfortunately third party vendors are not able to guarantee room types. I am happy that we were able to provide you with a balcony since not all of rooms have them. I also want to apologize for the air conditioning not working to your satisfaction and I wish that you had called us so that we could have fixed that right away for you. I hope that you would reconsider our resort and allow us to have you as our guest again.

Albany, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I decided to take my wife back to FL for Memorial Day weekend as we have not been there in several years. I have been to the World Golf Village before but have never stayed at the Renaissance. I first tried booking the days through their reservations office. I had seen a advertisement on line for the "Hero" package - firefighters, active and retired military - stay was for $109 per night. I first told that they could only book one night for that rate and a normal rate for the second night. I didn't like that so l sent an email to them explaining that after serving this country for 30 years in the military that they should honor what they advertised. The next day I was contacted by the Renaissance and was booked for 2 nights at the rate advertised, which included the buffet breakfast that was really nice. After that, I can tell you that the hotel was first class! From check in to check out, the entire staff that we met were very respectful and did everything they could to make our stay nice. The room was very nice and this is one place that we will enjoy going back to in the future. I only rated it very good because of the initial problem I had at first, if it wasn't for that I would have rated it excellent! Thank you for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, they have them overlooking the WGV, golf course and the pool!
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I apologize about the initial interaction with our reservations department but our special rates are limited in their availability, especially during a holiday weekend. I am pleased that we were able to extend the rate to you and were able to exceed your expectations from that point. We look forward to many years of memories for you and your wife.

atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

when arrived hotel room was not correct ,went on golf packages that price says 259 dollars to 389 dollars the word from is very important to pay attention to.Had king size bed that had 3 pillows that were one foot by one foot that gave no support had three pillows that should be on someone couch ,causeing neck and back pain.They had convention going on that comsumed the resort ,they closed hall of fame to have cocktail party ,could not use tickets that front desk failed to supply.need to make sure you get voucher for golf course the hotel also failed to supply ran into hassel at course they had to call to resort to staighten out.Slammer was closed to maintenance but we did play the king and bear which is a excellant course,I heard the word closed too many times.If I planned to go back to play golf I would stay at one of the other hotels and book my own tee times ,i would have saved alot of money and hassel.For a luxury hotel this is far from any marroit I have stayed ,if this is their fagship I would name it carnival one

Room Tip: stay some where else
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to apologize for the level of service you received during your recent stay at The Renaissance Resort at World Golf Village. I can understand your frustration with the inconveniences you faced and I am sorry that we did not provide you with a carefree and enjoyable stay. We offer a wide variety of golf packages at our resort for a range of prices and amenities included. I apologize that you did not receive your golf vouchers upon check in and will investigate to ensure this does not happen to another guest. As far as the pillows in our guest rooms I will have housekeeping inspect to ensure proper quality but if there is any time you are dissatisfied with a product please let us know and we will do our best to correct. We will do our best to see that these types of events do not take away from the experience of our guests in the future. I appreciate your feedback as it allows me to make necessary changes to improve all aspects of the resort experience.

Key West, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very clean, valet parking, restaurant and bar on site. Located in World Golf community with a golf museum, two golf courses, a couple of restaurants, IMAX theater. If you like golf, it is an adult Disneyland for golf. Also has the largest golf shop in the world. I was here overnight but could easily have stayed two or three days.
Seemed like a brand new community. Rooms were very currently designed.
Senior discount knocked off a huge chunk of money after that, it was competitively priced with lesser grade hotels (like the 'expresses' ).

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook air conditioners and building roofline below.