“Very bad experience”

Ranked #48 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Atlanta
“Very bad experience”
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Bad all around. Office people are unattentive to guest needs. There is a doorbell on the office, which is very close to rooms, that is EXTREMELY loud and obnoxious, impossible to sleep while it's going off. Just a bad vibe overall when talking to staff. I called room service to get a broom and dustpan to our room (friend had broken some glass) and the lady made me come down to the office (and suffer the wrath of the inanely loud doorbell) and wait for 5 minutes to get them, and then told me to walk the 300 feet to the back of the hotel to throw it away in the dumpster! So much for customer service. They offer a kitchenette as one of their amenities, and when I asked for kitchenwares, received 2 bowls, 3 mugs, silverware, two tiny pots, and a small skillet. Had to go buy more equipment. They also tried to charge me $50 to "fix" the free wifi that didn't work. Don't come here. Sucks.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
HEENAHOSPITALITY, Owner at Travelodge Suites St Augustine, responded to this review, September 25, 2010
Thank you very much for your input. However, I would like to clarify the kitchenware issue. We clearly state that we only offer basic utensils for kitchenette rooms. Also, our wireless is completely free, so we cannot charge you anything for it. And as per many customers’ request, we have replaced our welcome bell with a quieter one. Once again, we really appreciate your review.

Jigisha Patel
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
UK
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I can't beleive any of the bad reports about this hotel. It is a standard cheap chain hotel, with nothing special or memorable about it, but the rooms are clean and comfortable and the Indian couple who own/manage it are most hospitable, welcoming and helpful.
Breakfast was poor, just juice, muffins and coffee, like many of this standard of hotel/motel, but with a microwave and fridge in the room, we soon learned how to do a "full english" in the micro - bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, toast & marmalade (toast precooked & prepacked at Publix) We enjoyed our stay and would happily go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
georgia
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Truth is i was a little skeptical about staying here after reading some of the reviews. we wanted to save as much money as possible on a hotel so we could enjoy other things in st. augustine since all we do is sleep there anyway. It was our 17 year anniversary as well, and we decided to give this hotel a try and see for ourselves. We were happy to find this place clean, and quiet , very comfortable bed and housekeeping cleaned well after we were out for the day so we came back to a nice room. I found nothing to complain about with this hotel. It is not a fancy place but it suit our purpose, as well as our budget. I will stay here the next time i visit.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Orlando
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I booked this hotel based on an add on Orbitz.com. I called several times for information so I knew I was booking exactly what I wanted for the price I was qouted and each time I was told I was getting a 2 bedroom apartment suite only to arrive to some indian guy telling me that I pust pay 100$ more than I was told if I wanted that room. So I was forced to pay 100$ a night for a 1 bedroom "suite" with bloody pillows and stained couches. The man at the front desk ran was rude threatend to call the police if we did not stay the night we had booked. Charged my credit card without notice. It was the worst experience I had ever had.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ktbazan

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Pensacola, FL
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We stayed her on June 10th 2009 and this was by far the best 2 star hotel I have EVER stayed at. The lady at the front desk was as sweet and helpful as she could be. Interesting to talk to her...She was from india and we talked a lot about her heritage. The rooms were the average regular hotel rooms but comfortable and very clean. The pool was clean and my daughters just loved it. They had a coffee maker in the rooms but the coffee at the front dest is better. As far as location it's about 1.5 miles to downtown...MAYBE and it is on San Marco, but the traffic is not that bad where the hotel is. Only problem we had were some very loud guest on one of the nights there, but the front Desk took care of it quickly, and made sure all was well with us after. Two star rating with a three or four star customer service. I highly recomend staying here and I will stand behind that. These people were great the staff were nice and the rooms were cleaned. We paid 72 a night but it was well worth the money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I would stay here again. Friendly staff. Clean room. I liked the large bathroom, which was clean except for a few stray hairs on the floor. The towels weren't great--too small, thin, and rough. The sheets were decent. The room has windows front and back so there is cross-ventilation. The room had been aired out. It was very cold during our visit and heat worked well. The room came with a microwave and mini-fridge.

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Seein'_the_world
boca raton
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I called to have my trip paid for in advance 2 weeks before I left I have done this before int he past with other hotels and if they can do it they do it if they can't do they let me know. The manager Shurshe Petel took my card information but did not use my card information for what I called for. When I checked in and asked that my stay was paid in full the woman who is his wife told me yes. I however was not charged until after I returned home. I called very up set the next day that Igave my credit card information over the phone and they didn't use it for what I asked them to use it for or inform me thats not something they can do the manager got very defensive would not appologize for the misunderstanding so I called their 1800 customer complain number. I had to wait 5 days to hear back form the manager in St. Augustine but still very up set I called Shursh Petel back And was told that they been working and their end to resolve the matter witht hei attorneies. They needed my bank account information and social security number to help me any further. I told them they were crazy I would not give them that infomation. They told me if I wasn't willing to work with them they couldn't help me. When I called the 1800 number they told me there is no reason to get an attorney involved in this isue or to ever ask a customer for their social and Bank information. Use cautoion when booking here. I believe these people are crooks.

• Liked — There are other hotels close to the same area for the same rate to go to
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank tristnicole86