All reviewstravel lodgeroom was cleanold townfront desk ladyclose to towncoffee makerqueen bednice poolyogurtcottageaugustinemicrowaveattractionsrates
Reviewed October 17, 2007

My boyfriend and I LOVE to travel and we stay in many hotels along the way. I've never been so disgusted by a hotel/motel in my life than the one we stayed at in St. Augustine FL (nothing against st. augustine, it was beautiful). This wasn't a super cheap place, and we had just stayed in another hotel for the same price in Charleston which was AMAZING!!

Here is a list of just some of the things that totally freaked us out.

-The room smelt horribly of an ashtray as soon as we walked in, and on the wall there was a piece of paper taped that said "this room was serviced and reserved for non-smoking guests" which we gawked at.

-The dresser was dirty with burns from people smoking in it. Inside the dresser drawers were dirty too. Probably the most appaling thing was finding CONDOMS on top of the BIBLE!!!!

-The fridge was dirty, it had black smudges all over it, under it was a tray that was filthy, and on top of it was doritos no one had cleaned along with used domino pizza napkins.

-All the walls/doors/tv screen/mirrors/door knobs were smudged, un-cleaned and just gross. These things could of been easily cleaned with a wet rag.

-There was NO toliet paper anywhere in the room and we had to ask the front desk for some. All the towels had black stains on them, the chair and table in the room were both stained and dirty, and there were holes in the curtain.

-Chunks of the ugly border around the room had acutally been CUT OUT. insead of replacing it they went the super cheap route. Plus there were some really bad repair jobs and patchs in the walls. The remote was dirty and all the buttons were faded. Not only that, the battery cover was missing and was replaced with a cut up piece of plastic room key with "IHOP" on it just taped on!!

-The shower curtain was totally yellowed and the shower rings were old and dirty. There was mold on the shower head and a hair in the shower. Around the base of the toliet was dirty too.

-We also found a pink roach motel on top of the safe. That was scary. At this point we were too afraid to look under the bed. The coffee maker was also broken.

-There were cut up milk jugs under the air conditioning vent outside all the rooms that were moldy and collecting water from the condensation.

-The lady at the front desk (which smelt like dirty curry) actually told us to shut off all the lights/tv/air when we weren't in the room!!! And then there was a sign in the room that said the same thing!! It was crazy.

I never thought we would have to pay almost $100 to be so grossed out!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank nerrs
Reviewed May 28, 2007

When I called them, they tried to charge me way more than the online price. The guy was haggling with me like I was at some kind of international garage sale. It was so weirdly unprofessional. I got a really bad feeling about the place.

So, a week ahead of time, I called and cancelled my booking. They charged my credit card anyway for 2 nights. They never refunded the money, and when I called the corporate headquarters, I found out that the complaint would be handled by the owners (who were the people who ripped me off in the first place!). What a mess, will NEVER book with any travelodge again because you are totally at the mercy of the individual owner, there is no independent oversight.

Stayed: September 2006
5  Thank Ga2rGirl
Reviewed April 12, 2007

I am glad that I brought my students to this hotel. We came to tour St. Augustine and this stay was extremely relaxing. The students enjoyed themselves as they were treated and provided with excellent service. The manager was very helpful and hospitable and made our stay one to remember. The rooms were very clean and the students loved the comfy beds and the complimentary breakfast. I recommend this Travelodge to teachers who want to enjoy St. Augustine with their students. I look forward to bringing my next class of students here again next year.

• Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank rooroo2008
Reviewed March 15, 2007

Our recent experience at this hotel was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. In short, there were bugs in two of our rooms, the continental breakfast that looks so nice on the website (!) was actually a few packaged muffins and cereal bars on a folding table, and we were charged for breaking a bed platform that was basically particle board glued together. One of the beds was already broken when we rented the room, and management was notified of this shortly after we checked in. Granted, our visit was a group of high school kids on a field trip to St. Augustine, but the kids were actually well-behaved and did nothing to warrant the treatment we received from the management of this hotel. AFTER we left, the manager called and told us she had filed a police report (!) which is very doubtful, considering she could neither give me a police file number and since we were never contacted by the police. The only crime here was being charged extra for repairs that obviously needed to be made before we arrived . . . and using our school group to pay for it. The manager also would not give me the name of the franchise owner; she just kept telling me they were a franchise and had certain "quality" rules. This is no where near a "quality" experience, even for a budget chain like TraveLodge. Do yourself a favor - find another hotel and don't let this hotel spoil your trip to fantastic St. Augustine! (A word of warning to school teachers - the manager of this hotel told me they were used to having school groups come in, and sadly, I believed her. Our students were extremely well-behaved, and our chaperones monitored them closely, including the situation in the room where the beds were broken. None of the adults on the trip felt that the treatment we received was warranted. Take your school group somewhere - anywhere! - else!)

Stayed: January 2007
7  Thank FLlover
Reviewed November 29, 2006

This was my second stay at this hotel, having stayed over Thanksgiving 2005 as well. Its near downtown, within walking distance actually. We walked back from downtown one evening, but I would not recommend that for everyone. Its only a $6 cab fare to the historic downtown district. The rooms were amazingly clean and comfortable. I was not disappointed. Room had a fridge and microwave as well. If you want a resort, this is not it. They have a small pool, but this is a hotel for when you are going to be out and about more than staying in.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple