“Vacations 2013-elephant 15845”

Ranked #48 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Ocala
“Vacations 2013-elephant 15845”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My name is Laurie and I drive 3hours to go to St Augustine and when I get to the hotel I want to be comfortable and relax and because I usually take family with me I want them to have a good place to stay,I am writing this review because I want all the readers to know that the people at Island Inn Mrs.Hanna and Mr.Steve were very helpful and very respectful not only with me but most important with my Dad,Mom and niece,Mrs. Hanna give me a better deal for a suite than other hotels around the same area and there is a bridge to walk to go to the beach near the hotel,you don't have to walk thru stones or sand to get to the beach,whenever I need something that it was part of the hotel accessories Mr. Steve was always available,We will go back,thanks.I recommend it to everyone.No restaurant or fitness room inside hotel but plenty place to excersise and close places to eat.thanks to all at Island Inn and Suites will see you soon.:-)

Room Tip: Suite have two tv,spacious rooms kind of two rooms for the price of one,not noises when sleeping ,ve...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Laurie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Holland
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is close to the beach, That is a plus, but is not close to st augustine where all the fun is so that is a disadvantage. Hotel is old and room was smelling like the cleaning staff had just to much cleaning material which also smell strange.
Breakfast was really bad. Orange juice was chemical and there was only something that looked like bread. This can be much better.
Would not come here again. Go closer to the city or somewehere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We strive to make sure every guest gets the most out of their visit to Historic St. Augustine. We do deep clean or rooms regularly so sometimes there may be a residual cleaner smell. Florida weather and humidity require us to use strong cleaners to prevent mold and mildew. We find most guests would prefer this to a dirty room. Our breakfast is just what we advertise - a continental breakfast. It includes a couple kinds of dry cereal, oatmeal, bread or muffin, juice, coffee and milk. We strive to offer good clean rooms, hospitality and affordable rates. We still include complimentary wifi, micro/fridge in every room and covered parking. So ultimately our product and price are great value.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We arrived at 2:45 and were quickly told by the unpleasant female owner (that couldn't even spare a small smile) that the room may not be ready because check in wasn't until 3:00. She tried several times to call the staff by phone to no avail. So she went to find them. She came back and informed us that she could not find them but would give us a key and for us to let her know if we needed anything...Still no smile.
The next morning we went to the "true continental breakfast" which is something that various people on this site complained about. Every morning for all four days we were there it was 2 varieties of stale cereal,packets of oatmealenglish muffins, coffee, generic sunny delight (sitting onthe counter in the plastic container), And milk in the plastic container (no ice or refrigeration).....Can you say health code violation. All of this was WalMart bought.Not to mention saying hello numerous times to the male owner and having him slightly nod his head, no words to say even good morning.
The room was in need of some moderanization (which is something we could live with). However, the towels were thread bare with holes, there was mold in the bathroom, mold in the refrigerator,
mold and rust in the microwave, and dirty footprints on the wall.
The worst was the last day. I made the ultimate rookie mistake. Although, I checked the sheets when we first arrived I did not strip the entire bed. The matress cover had a large blood stain. This was the straw that broke the camels back. At check out my fiancee brought this up to the male owner. We showed him a picture that we took of it. He offered no appology. My fiancee even asked him if he would have slept in bed. The answer was yes "the sheets were clean". Still not even an appology.
We have stayed at many hotels over the years and have never complained. This was just totally disgusting, I will be looking into making a report to the health inspector. The best part of this hotel was that we were not there for long. We had such a great time in Saint Augustine otherwise we were only there to sleep for a few hours and to store our belongings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ddhw06
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the St. Augustine Island Inn. We provide good clean rooms at affordable rates - with complimentary wifi, continental breakfast, micro/fridge in every room and free covered parking. Our breakfast is a continental with cereals, bread or muffins and drinks. That is exactly what we advertise and provide. The dairy products are kept at required temperatures and of course we do meet all health and safety codes. We deep clean our rooms regularly to combat the Florida elements. Being located on the beach, it is a constant struggle to avoid mildew. We have just recently replaced our mattresses in all the rooms, so the bedding is new. If you were unpleased with your room or your service, we only request that you let us know while you are still staying at the hotel so that we have the opportunity to correct any issues.
Seymour, Tennessee
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our stay was excellent...every time we stay here we are treated like family...They remembered us from two years ago...Wow we were impressed... the hotel has put in new beds that are very comfortable no trouble sleeping far away from home...Thank you, for your superb hospitality!!!!

4 Thank Tamara15
Hilliard, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel is privately owned. The owners take great pride in keeping their hotel neat and clean. They were very friendly and accommodating. We had rooms 306 and 308. They connect and there is a large patio that is shared by the 2 adjacent room. It was very nice to have a private area to relax with our friends.

3 Thank Ashley S
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Honestly, I am probably the worst planner ever and making a reservation was an idea that seemed like a waste of time. So I came up to St. Augustine for the weekend with the family and everywhere was packed. I came over to St. Augustine Island Inn and it was amazing. The staff was friendly and helpful and the price was fairly good. The room was super clean and super nice. The beds were like top of the line as well. I would definitely come back again!

3 Thank Ryan F
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Overpriced, dirty, smelled like Curry. Was $208 for one night and was not even as nice as a Motel 6. The staff was rude and they lied about the beach access. We were told the beach was directly behind the hotel but really you have to walk down the street and then down a walkway... over a mile. When I asked them about the misrepresentation of that they called the police. The police then told me the owner calls atleast 4 times a week on her guests. She also cussed my 8 and 3 year old kids out in a foreign language. I will me calling the BBB and any where where that can take care of that crazy lady. My children cried and that is unacceptable. She then asked my son not to destroy the room like a rock star would? ? Crazy much! The pool is also barely bigger than a hottub and parkingis a mess.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank walkaj12
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
We are sorry you didn't have a good experience at the Island Inn. As you can see from our many good reviews, we pride ourselves with happy guests. The price you paid was reflective of a holiday weekend and completely within normal range of all hotels in the area for that time period. We advertise on all websites and tell all guests we are located a short walk from the beach. The picturesque boardwalk that leads to the beach is only a few steps from our hotel and then the walk is under 10 minutes thru the nature preserve to the ocean. It is not over a mile. We have a very pretty and private swimming pool located within our courtyard and our parking is complimentary and even covered to protect you and your belongings from the hot sun or the rain. Unfortunately we did have to contact the authorities because of the disruption you caused for our other guests. But in all the years we have run this hotel, we have only contacted the authorities a handful of times. We certainly do not have them here regularly. We do apologize if there were some misunderstandings. We hope you enjoyed St. Augustine and the beautiful sunny weather.