“Clean, very friendly management, walking distance to beach, breakfast included.”

St Augustine Island Inn
Ranked #49 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed December 24, 2011

I would stay here again. Nice 10 minute walk to beach on boardwalk by hotel. Ask for 3rd floor for ocean view. Perfect climate. Slept with windows open to listen to ocean at night. Fridge, microwave. Nice place for value. Clean, smelled good in room.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Danie311

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband had called the night before and asked Hannah if there would be any problems checking in early. We were traveling from Atlanta to Miami and back to St. Augustine and would like to check in early. Hannah acted like it wouldn't be a problem. When my husband told her he was going to check around before booking the room, she insisted this was the last room available and we would not find a better deal anywhere. We had originally planned to stay in the historic district for the annual lighting of the Night of Lights. Due to the mass of reservations of booked up hotels in the historic district, we decided to stay on St. Augustine Beach. Upon arrival around noon, we noticed the entire parking lot was empty. When asking Hannah if we could check in early as previous discussed, she said that the room was not available and still being cleaned. I asked her if I could use a restroom. She pointed me to the direction of a restroom located outside the lobby. The restroom did not have soap or towels or hand dryer. On the wall was a sign displayed that said all employees were to wash hands. I found this unsanitary and it should have been my first clue. My husband and I drove around for a couple of hours before returning to see if we could now check in. Thankfully, Hannah allowed us. Still no sign of any other guest. When we got in the room, I thought it looked okay and appeared clean. As I was preparing to bathe, I noticed the towels were stained and thin. One of the wash clothes were so bad, I took it back to the desk and asked for another. We personally use better towels to wash our cars with. The bath rug was in such bad shape, it should have been disposed of. The two bars of soap they give you complimetary are the tiniest bars I have ever seen.

They accept pets at this hotel for a fee of $20 per pet. The property is not very pet-friendly. The only place to walk your pet on the property is directly in front of the hotel by the highway. They offer free wi-fi, continental breakfast (we did not eat here), fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. No iron. The bed was firm and the pillows were comfortable. The only way to the beach is to walk or drive your car to the nearest boardwalk which is a couple blocks away. They told us upon checking out to shut all electricity off which I didn't have a problem with, but are convinced that the real reason they didn't let us in our room earlier was because they are too cheap to allow you to run the electricity a couple of hours more. We had lots of concern regarding the extreme frugality of this hotel and would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Joyflnoise
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the St. Augustine Island Inn. We strive to make each guest feel welcome. Our check-in time is normally 3pm. We will always allow a guest to check-in early if their room is ready. Unfortunately it is impossible to predict how many rooms will be occupied the night before and how early the guests will check-out. So we can not always accommodate every request. We pride ourselves on clean and comfortable rooms. We also include as many amenities as possible for our guests while keeping the rates affordable. Being pet friendly, serving continental breakfast, including free WiFi and in-room micro/fridges are all ways to be accommodating to our guests. Our location is adjacent to the boardwalk that leads to the beach. It is a short and pleasant walk. In this tough economy we are doing all we can to offer good affordable accommodations and warm hospitality. We hope you will come stay with us again.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My hotel room at the St Augustine Island Inn became "grandma's house" for a week as I visited with my three little non-stop dynamos! They loved the pool, and I loved the friendly and quick customer service. We were never made to feel that the children were an inconvenience in any way. The location was very central to both shopping and the beach, the beds were comfy, and the price was right! But the staff is what will bring us back...hospitality plus. Thanks, folks!

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lauren M
Callahan, Florida
Reviewed October 27, 2011

My wife and daughter and I stayed here for Biketoberfest in Daytona. It was a beautiful ride down A1A to the festivities in and around Daytona as well as Old St Augustine. This area is a biker haven and we enjoyed staying here and found the rooms extremely clean and super nice staff. We had a room with a balcony and really enjoyed sunrise and breakfast out there. The covered parking is great and we met Steve and Hannah who run the place and they are very freindly and attentive to your needs. We stayed 3 days and found some great resturants and live music, dancing and a welcome break from the crowds in Daytona Beach also excellent riding. We highly recommend this place for a getaway, Bike Week, Biketoberfest, or to just visit this Beautiful city.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank rick k
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a romantic getaway weekend and were very disappointed. We rented a room with a jacuzzi and the jets in the jacuzzi didn't work! There were no bubbles...it was just a big tub. The room decor was something outa the 70s, horrible looking furniture...worn out looking! The pool was tiny too. The continental breakfast was just frozen waffles, english muffins, fruit loops & cheerios. We had to go to Denny's for a real breakfast! The only good thing about it was that it was pretty clean...but next time I want a romantic room with a jacuzzi...I'm going somewhere else for sure...like Best Western! Even if I have to pay a little extra. We should have gone up to check the jacuzzi first before renting the room!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pat T
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
We are very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We work very hard to provide good clean accommodations at affordable rates. The St. Augustine Island Inn is a small family run inn. Our hotel rooms are portrayed on the website exactly as they are. The furnishings are identical and are less than 10 years old. The pool is not large, but it is in a private courtyard and always immaculately clean. We offer a continental breakfast. It does include cereals, waffles, toast, muffins, juice, coffee, etc as you explained. That is a true continental breakfast. When you checked-out and explained to us you had problems with the jacuzzi tub, we immediately checked on it. It worked with no issues. We wish you had let us know before you checked-out. We would have been happy to show you how to turn the jets on and you could have enjoyed them during your stay. We strive to make all our guests happy. So we hope you will give us another try.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the St Augustine Island Inn (which is located in St. Augustine beach) at the end of June 2011. It’s a great place to stay – very nice hotel and very clean. The owners are very delightful. The location of the hotel is also very, very convenient to the beach and historic St. Augustine

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank E S
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I wanted to like this place so much, but it just didn't click for me. There were so many missteps - things that can be made up for by service and friendly staff. I take all reviews here with a huge grain of salt, and hesitated to write this one, but I know they help me decide and felt obligated.

First - pet policy important to us - we did not bring pets this trip, but they are allowed. That is helpful.

Second - breakfast - I never saw it. Husband went down to check it out and get coffee, as the pot in the room and little bags provided produced something foul. Foul coffee from downstairs. He brought back English muffins, and said there was little else.

Third - no tissues in the room. Not a huge deal, but my husband asked the front desk about it, and they told him 'the economy' is so bad they can't have tissues anymore.

Fourth - Prominent signage about not removing towels...our bath mat was nearly brown and had multiple holes. Wash clothes yellowed and dingy. Um, no thanks!

Fifth - ok, the woman who checked me in was trying to be friendly. However, when I explained I would like to use another credit card, she said "NO, it's already on this one. Give me that card, I need a copy". Yeah. I thought about making it an issue, but decided in the big scheme, not worth it, but not customer-friendly.

Sixth - Front desk called on the day we were checking out, about 20 minutes prior to check out time, to ask if we were planning to stay another night. I found this an annoying and unnecessary interruption, but interpreted it to mean that they were strict about the time and needed the room. I told them we were leaving and would be out by 11am. Guess who opened our door, and walked in the room? Front desk woman, who explained she had to clean the room and was worried I would not know where to leave the key if she was not at the front desk. Guess what? She had already told me ALL ABOUT that when I checked in and I guess she forgot. But she did manage to scare the living daylights out of me. I jumped straight up in the air. We had propped open the door b/c my husband was walking back and forth to load up the car. We get it! You need the room! She asked if I could give her the key RIGHT THEN (did I mention we were warned repeatedly NOT to lose it, as it's EXPENSIVE to replace and we would be charged 10.00. I almost wanted to toss it in the trash for the stern warning) and also wondered if she could have back the little envelope they give you the key in, if we no longer needed it? I understand - times are tough. But try to make it seem like you're not pinching as tight as you are and DON'T EVER EVER ENTER A ROOM without knocking.

Seventh - do I need more? The smell of the room and the cleanliness, or lack thereof. Oh lordie. Mold city. Ewwwk. My clothes smelled horrible, the room smelled, it was so unpleasant that we didn't want to stay in the room at all.

Last - I will mention about the location as I see others have commented. There is a lovely boardwalk to the beach. It's not close. It takes about 10 minutes. It's a nice walk. You could do better, you could do worse. You can walk to the Publix shopping center up the road and have a terrific breakfast at the Sea Oats so the location does have its benefits.
The parking lot is covered. That's nice too, I guess. I'm stretching to give the positives:).

Wow and it's been well over a month since this stay - I thought if I let it sit for a while, I would be able to be more diplomatic and weed out what didn't matter, but it all came rushing back in a flood of yucky unpleasant memories. Please read other reviews at St Augustine Beach if you want to stay in this area, and SHOP AROUND. There are many lovely properties in this same price range that are much cleaner and much nicer. You do not have to smell mold and have dingy towels for this price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wendyrun
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
We want to apologize for not meeting your standards during your stay at the St. Augustine Island Inn. We are a small family owned inn and really try to provide comfortable accommodations and friendly service for an economical price. We include several amenities, such as free WiFi, light continental breakfast (cereal, muffins, juice & coffee) and free covered parking to increase the value for our guests. We do offer pet friendly rooms for those travelers bringing along their furry friends. And we do promote our hotel as being "nearby" to the beach. The walk is a pleasant stroll under 10 minutes along the boardwalk. Because of the layout of St. Augustine beach, most hotels in the area do have a short walk to the beach. We believe ours is safer because you do not have to cross the road and more pleasant because the walk is all enclosed on the boardwalk. We appreciate your recommendations. We will now have facial tissue at our front desk so that whenever a guests requests it, we will have it for them. And you are correct, our staff member should not have entered the room without knocking. We are sure it was a misunderstanding because the door was propped open and it was near check-out time. She thought you had already departed. But we have reiterated to all our staff that we should always knock first - regardless of how it may appear. Lastly, the credit card you supplied when you made your reservation was guaranteed for the amount of your first night's room and tax. That guarantee was placed on the card before you arrived. While we should have explained this better to you, the reason we prefer to use the original card is for your benefit. We receive the money regardless of which card you use. But if you switch cards, the original "hold" will have to be released. This may take a few days and can be an inconvenience to our guests. Again, we are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, but would welcome you back and try to make your next stay better!