“Lovely Surprise”

Jaybird's Inn
Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I originally booked two nights for my husband and me, but decided to book an extra night because we were so comfortable we weren't ready to leave. The room was clean, the staff was helpful, and the beds and pillows are out-of-this-world comfortable! We spent an hour at the restaurant/bar when we arrived. The bartender was friendly and took great care of us. There was little noise from the other guests, even at night. Also, the location is great; close to everything but without all the tourist traffic. If the weather had been better, we would have used the bikes they offered us to travel downtown. We'll definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Ask to for a room away from the laundry room. Our room was great, but next to something that starte...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Jaybird's Inn

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed here for 1 night on Friday Feb 1 and the Inn was great the rooms were immaculant and very clean. The Fitness Center was really up-to-date and the lobby was beautiful but when I checked in at the front that evening the woman up there was just sitting down on her phone and it took her almost 10 minutes to finally see I was standing there. So I let it pass thinking maybe it was something or someone important but when we came back to the lobby a little later she was just very short with every question I asked and you could tell she didnt really want us there. So my husband went back up around 11:00 pm or so to get ice and there was a diffrent girl there and she was exreamly nice and helpful or so he says. Maybe the woman before her was having a bad day but either way I wont be coming back due to her lack of customer service or maybe I will not check in before the late night shift.

Room Tip: Dont check in during the mid shift If you want good service or avoid the Dark hair country girl, she...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank L0uie20
scottovertonsr, General Manager at Jaybird's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

I sincerely apologize for your experience during check-in. It is unfortunate that you felt our customer service was below your expectations. We'd like to be given the opportunity to make this right with you. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future accommodations.

With Best Regards,

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel, very clean and comfortable. I loved the modern furnishings in the room, very peaceful and inviting. I had dinner at the restaurant, good food and a really nice atmosphere. I travel quite extensively for work but found my home away from home in St Augustine, I'll never stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights the staff was polite and very helpful... The rooms we very clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was very good.. The lobby was very comfortable and clean. The hotel has a lot of beautiful pictures a real home away from home experience.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed here over MLK weekend. This motel was remodeled recently so the rooms and beds are new and nice, exactly like the photos show. It's still within walking distance to town if you're in shape to walk. We walked in but took a cab back after dinner. Cabs are only $7 plus tip, a bargain if you want to have a drink and not drive. There was plenty of hot water in the morning (i see from another review this was an issue). Breakfast was okay with bagels, muffins, dry cereal and waffles. Good coffee. You'll need to go out for breakfast if you really want something healthy. The fruit was from a can, not so nice. Here's the drawback with the place: it is directly on the corner of a very busy intersection and the noise level from the traffic is bad. The rooms have not been soundproofed. There is a railway in front of the hotel and trains go by all night long. On Friday night between 10pm and 3am there were 4 trains, blowing the train horn at the intersection with the car traffic every 40 minutes or so. There were 2 trains that I heard on Saturday night. I did not get much sleep. If you stay here, bring earplugs. That being said, I would stay here again because it is so clean and priced well.

Room Tip: get a room on the south side toward the rear
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2014

A really lovely hotel and the restaurant is fabulous; however, when we got up in the morning there was no hot water. It took them over an hour to get the hot water going. Apparently, a pilot light had gone out on the water heater. While things like this happen, we would have appreciated being kept informed. I had to call the front desk twice. When we checked out there was no apology for the inconvenience. We had planned to stay a second night but could not risk not having hot water the morning we were heading to the airport. I took the general manager's card and called him. We left a voice mail but the call was not returned. We would likely give it a second try---far better than the chains just south of there. And I can't wait to get back to the bar and restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
scottovertonsr, General Manager at Jaybird's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

I sincerely apologize for any lack of communication on our end and hope that you'll give us the opportunity to make this right. We'd love to have you back, and I feel certain, if given the chance, we can improve the quality of your next stay. Please feel free to contact us directly, should you decide to revisit.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We were looking for a place that was a little less expensive than some of the other places, and this place had great reviews! The rooms are VERY clean, with modern furniture, laminate flooring (great touch), and plenty of space! The bedding is all white, which adds to the feeling of cleanliness, and the heating/cooling wasn't loud and stayed at a comfortable level. There were several eco/green touches, which was a pleasant surprise. There is also plenty of parking available.

It is a little far to walk back and forth to the downtown area too many times, but it is right by the main stop for both train lines.

This was an excellent find and we will definitely stay here again, as well as recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: We had a king bed room, and it had a huge sitting room area separate from the bedroom - not sure if...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

It was a great pleasure reading this review. Thank you for your kind words. Please feel free to contact us directly for any future accommodations, we look forward to seeing you again!

Kind Regards,