“Pretty much as advertised”
Review of Jaybird's Inn

Jaybird's Inn
Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersBronze level
miami
“Pretty much as advertised”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I concur with most of the reviewers in the cleanliness and spaciousness of the rooms. Two things to be aware of if you have kids are that the hotel is fairly far from the St. Augustine attractions and that breakfast is free but is over at 9:45 instead of 10 and replenishment stopped at around 9:20. For my wife and I this was not an issue but some guests with kids requested some items and they refused to bring out more stuff even though it was really close to 9:45. Since the rooms have nice tables, If you have kids and like to sleep late your best shot is to have someone get up early, grab stuff for everyone and eat in the room.

As for me, I liked the hotel but I will probably look for something else nearer to the attractions when I go again.

Room Tip: If you have kids and are not going to be in the breakfast room by 9:00 AM get up a little early, pic...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
scottovertonsr, General Manager at Jaybird's Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and give us your feedback. I'm not sure what happened during breakfast, but I'd like to apologize for any inconveniences during your stay. Jaybird's Inn is located one mile from downtown, but we also offer free use of our bikes. While I respect your decision to stay closer to downtown next time, I feel certain that if given another opportunity, we could change your mind.

Scott Overton, Sr.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Fayetteville, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We recently stayed at the Jaybird when we were in Florida for a wedding. We were very pleased with everything about this place. At first glance it looks like a renovated motor inn of the 70's , but once inside you see that the owners have paid attention to detail and customer comfort in their renovation. The guy at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, allowing us to watch the SU/Villa Nova basketball game on the lobby big screen tv until check in time. The bookcases in the lobby were filled with interesting books relating to "an active lifestyle", which is how this inn is billed. Our room was comfortable and modern, with comfortable king size bed, couch, laminated flooring (so much better than smelly hotel carpets), marble counter tops in the bathroom, and the best shower (large, great water pressure) I think I have ever enjoyed in a hotel! The in-room coffee maker featured Starbucks coffee, and there was a refrigerator and microwave for leftovers. We had read in previous reviews that the breakfast was weak, but we did not find this to be the case. Along with the usual staples of cereal and coffee, there were fresh muffins, bread and English muffins for toast, fruit cocktail, peanut butter and jelly packets,and a waffle maker for fresh waffles. I think this is more than adequate for a complementary breakfast! We dined in the Jaybird Restaurant on our first night in town, which is right next door to the inn, and it was surprisingly delicious! The fresh flounder was some of the best I've had, and the seafood diablo was jam packed with shrimp, scallops and fish.
Since we are walkers, we enjoyed the 10- 15 minute walk to Old Town (safe even at night), and took advantage of the complementary "fat tire" one speed bikes to cycle to the beach. The Jaybird really stands out because of all the little touches that make you feel you are getting your money's worth. I agree with previous reviewers that it was very clean and well maintained with exceptionally helpful staff. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: There was some traffic noise because hotel is on a busy street, but it did not bother us.
1 Thank Karen R
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for the positive feedback. I'm glad to know you enjoyed everything about your stay, including the bikes and the television in the lobby. It is our goal to make our guests feel like this is their home away from home, and it's always nice to know when we've achieved that. Please feel free to contact us directly for any future reservations.

Dunnellon
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hotel is so nice and clean. Feels like your staying in a high end hotel. The rooms are so spacious, beautifully decorated, and "spa" like feeling. I couldn't find one thing wrong with this place. Beds are soooo comfortable and no noise!!! I was a great night sleep. They have Starbuck's coffee in the room, make-up remover and awesome soap. Not sure what kind of soap it was but it feels so nice on your skin. I'm a clean freak so I just could not get over how clean the room was. I'm telling you I couldn't find one speck of dust or dirt anywhere. The staff was so sweet. The front desk girl, Brandy, was so helpful and friendly. She was able to help us with directions and other questions we had about the area. Just a real joy to speak with. The location is great. Just a few blocks from everything. Perfect location. When I return to St. Augustine next year I will definitely stay at Jaybird's Inn again. Thanks for a beautiful stay.

1 Thank Shannon B
Thank you for such kind words and for taking the time to post your review. It's so good to know that your enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again!

Ocala, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We came in to St. Augustine just looking for a little fun and who knew that a place so poorly named was so wonderfully done, Breakfast was great they had a Waffle Machine and muffins, along with cereal, and your basic goodies.....juices included Orange, apple, and cranberry (my boyfriends favorite), but if your staying here then you should not be cheap and try and dine on a limited breakfast you should eat at the restaurant next door, there breakfast was GREAT, and after eating there I can see why the breakfast is limited at the hotel. The rooms were wonderful they had a new modern look and they were so clean and trust me clean is a big deal. I would recommend this place to the world and trust me I will hehehehe, In all reality this place was perfect for us and we know were we are going to stay when ever we are in North Florida

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
scottovertonsr, General Manager at Jaybird's Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
It's good to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to having you back. Please feel free to contact us directly for any future reservations.

Cooperstown, New York
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Room was clean and modern. However, there was no hot water. I mean NONE. We called the desk at 9:30p to inform them, they called us back at midnight to tell us they couldn't do anything, oh by the way, did I wake you? Room had very thin walls. We could hear the neighbor's conversation, and the freight train up the street as it came through in the early AM. The free breakfast
consisted of a broken waffle maker, a toaster than wouldn't toast and a juice dispenser that dispensed a clear liquid instead of cranberry juice. I ended up eating a bowl of stale raisin bran. I cannot recommend this place, but it was the only place available on short notice.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank townie57
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and give us your feedback. It is unfortunate that your experience wasn't that great, due to hot water issues. We'd like to be given the opportunity to make this right. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future accommodations.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Excellent place to stay clean rooms friendly staff great food very comfortable I highly recommend this motel I will only stay at jaybirds when I come to St Augustine I really enjoyed staying here the walk to historic down town is very takes about 10 mins but is enjoyable the food at the restaurant excellent staff very friendly and accommodating customer is number one here

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Windermere,Florida
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The design and decor of this room is more like a higher end hotel. Clean,uncluttered style in soothing greens and blues. Lighting is very good.Comfortable bed. nice shower.Beautiful photographs of Machu Picchu in our room. Very good location. Coffee and light breakfast included in very competitive rates. I'd like to give it 4 stars but two issues lowered my score: a musty smell from AC ( hopefully a temporary problem) and we had to run the hot water for quite awhile before it got warm enough. I believe this is a new renovation and hope these issues will be taken care of.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and send us your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Jaybird's Inn is newly renovated, so as far as the issues you had, we appreciate you bringing that to our attention. Unfortunately, sometimes things break, old and new alike. We investigated and resolved both, and hope this doesn't deter you from another stay with us. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future accommodations.