“GREAT VACATION EXPERIENCE”

Jaybird's Inn
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was our first visit to St. Augustine. We were so glad we chose to stay at Jaybird's Inn. the rooms were exceptional in cleanliness and décor. The beds were top of the line in comfort and the staff was very friendly. Jaybird's Restaurant is located next to the inn and offered us a wide variety of delicious food that was moderately priced. The décor at the restaurant was also very attractive. We found Jaybird's close to all of the historic attractions we wanted to visit. We would definitely stay there again and have already recommended it to friends.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have very quiet A/C units so there is no noise problem.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our stay at Jaybirds Inn was great the room was clean they had everything in the room u need the bed and bedding were very comfortable , the staff was very helpful and polite I would stay again and recommend my friends and family to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The on-site sign at Jaybird's alludes to a "boutique" experience. While we had a very pleasant stay at Jaybird's, I would hardly call it a boutique experience, whatever that means. I am now more confused than ever.

Jaybird's is listed as a "green" facility, a factor which does matter to me. I saw environmentally- friendly light bulbs and the now-usual option not to change the sheets and towels daily, both practices which mostly help their bottom line. I was dismayed, however by the lack of recycling and by the ubiquitous styrofoam in the breakfast area. Curiously, neither recycling nor the use of biodegradable disposable dinnerware is listed as a green practice in the definition of "green" on the Trip Advisor website, which I discovered only as I was writing this review. Apparently, Jaybird's does qualify as "green" under that specific rubric, but, to my recollection, the management made no mention of the full rubric in its visitor's book. This visitor takes exception.

On the plus side, other reviewers have noted the newly renovated rooms, which are exactly as pictured in the advertising. They are clean, fresh, well-equipped, and comfortable. The toilet/shower area is tiny, but who needs that much room for the associated functions? The sink area is more spacious and is accentuated by the wall-length mirror. Housekeeping was efficient and non-intrusive.

Judging from the smell and one dead roach (completely understandably in that climate and locale), an exterminator had obviously been in the room before we arrived. It took most of the stay for the smell to dissipate. I'd rather have the smell than the roaches, and, yes, I wonder what spray was used.

The sofa is not particularly comfortable for sitting, but we found that using one of the bed pillows for a head rest while seated on the sofa made it a bit more appealing.

The plugs are regulation child-proof, I was told when I mentioned that I couldn't get any to work. It was as though each one were misaligned. Sure enough, with a bit of jiggling one could engage the outlet. A sign to that effect would b helpful, especially to those who encounter the difficulty late at night.

Some of the amenities described on the website are still theoretical. The "library," for example is still lacking books and the fitness center, which I was anticipating, is not yet open. I knew from the reviews, however, that such would probably be the case. I am sure that, in time, the facility will be fully operational.

We had come to St. Augustine for the attractions, and the staff at the hotel did a good job of connecting us to the appropriate facilities. We were delighted not to have to move our car until we left at the end of the stay. The trolley company picked us up at the hotel and dropped us back at the hotel, within the parameters of their service hours, which ended at 4:30 p.m.

As has been noted, the continental breakfast is strictly no frills. Obviously, management would like guests to patronize the restaurant next door. We never saw anyone else at breakfast so maybe the early-80s style continental breakfast offerings did the trick. We availed ourselves of the coffee (not nearly as good as the in-room Starbucks), milk, three types of juices, bagels, muffins, sliced bread, margarine, butter, sugar-frosted flakes, fruit loops.

Locals who asked where we were staying were curious about Jaybird's. I was happy to say that the site is a pleasant option but perhaps the management should be more clear what it stands for. Just saying the facility provides a boutique experience or that it has green status does not make that the reality.

Room Tip: We appreciated our ground-floor room midway down the length of the building.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel has beautiful rooms and it's location is minutes from downtown St. Augustine. The staff was super friendly and helpful in suggesting things to do while visiting the area. We will be returning next year and staying at Jaybird's Inn again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank AEKx2
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had an AWESOME experience at the Jaybird. Our room was AWESOME, CLEAN and the people in charge were very friendly. I was kinda skeptical when my husband said that we were staying at the Jaybird. Boy was I glad that he made reservations for us. They even accommodated us when my husband called and said that we would be getting to St. Augustine earlier than we realized. We had no problem checking in or checking out. The continental breakfast was great. We would/will stay at the Jaybird again if we're traveling that area again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are easy to access.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kenneth W
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Jaybird's Inn is newly renovated. The rooms are very modern,clean, and no carpet, which I love! There is a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker in the room we stayed in, as well as an iron and ironing board. We had a problem with the coffee maker.. the plug did not want to fit into the electrical outlet on the counter. Good thing they have a coffee bar in the lobby!
Not on the beach but conveniently located off the main road from I-95 and a short drive to the historic section of St Augustine. Over all a good stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We just had one evening to visit St. Augustine on our way to a family reunion. I read the reviews for the Jaybird and decided to take the chance. It was a chance worth taking, the fact they are still remodeling did not hamper a great stay filled with good customer service! The room was clean with nice amenities, I would highly recommend staying here and plan to return soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple