“Horrible experience”

Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL
Ranked #56 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2006

We reserved a non-smoking suite for our family to stay in.

We checked in and went to the room to find it very dirty, smelling like smoke and defintely not a suite. It was one open room with two double beds in it, not suitable for a family to sleep in.

We checked out five minutes later and drove home. We had a very hard time getting our money refunded but eventually did. This hotel is not recommended for families especially.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Reviewed March 24, 2006

The outside of the Howard Johnson looks Spanish and charming, but the inside is old, in poor repair and generally unattractive. The lamps have 60 watt light bulbs which give the room a very poorly-lit, gloomy look and if you like reading in bed, you'd better bring a flashlight! It doesn't feel clean, and the sheets are so old and dingy that they look as though they haven't been changed from the night before. There were some things I liked about the motel though. It's inexpensive, about a mile from the historic center (a pleasant walk), and it has an inviting seating/picnic area under that magnificent 600 year old live oak! It's also adjacent to Magnolia Street, a beautiful place for a morning walk along tabby walls and long tunnels of breath-taking live oaks.

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 22, 2006

Having puchased the room for a short vacation in March 2006 through Hotels unseen and reviewed I must say the location is great but the cleanliness was lacking. Walking across the floor in one's socks required nerve and a clean pair of socks upon reaching the other end of the room. We had a no smoking room that reeked of smoke and had to ask it to be cleaned which resulted in it being sprayed. There was a no pet sign on all the doors with a dog in the next room and the neighboring room has a couple residing with the door open, smoking in a no smoking room and throwing the butts out onto the sidewalk in front of all the rooms. I would not pay the charge for the room at this hotel again.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NE PA
Reviewed January 28, 2006

WE arrrived at the time of check in and had to wait after a very long drive,there ws no record of our reservation and thank goodness I had all the paperwork, after about 45 minutes we were finally done! We were given a room next to a very loud one. The room was filthy hair all over the bathing facilties and had a funky odor in the room.

I requested the maid service come and clean the floor needed vacuumning and the place hadn't been dusted or cleaned the sheets actually appeared to have been slept in the same day YUCK!!!

Was informed that the room had already been cleaned but IF they had the time they would get to it! Needless to say when we returned it was the same, requested a room change and was informed they would see what they could do. The party was still going on and the police cars were there when we returned. WE LEFT without any adjustment to our bill or apologies.

STAY AWAY!!!!!

The bugs were also a lovely added feature in the bathroom!

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank gichy
Reviewed January 20, 2006

My Family and I had stayed in this Hotel while we were visiting my sister in Georgia. We were excited about visiting St. Augustine and by the time we got to the city it was late and this happened to be the only hotel that had availability. When we entered the room it was dirty and it had no remotes for the tvs. We had gotten a family suite and when it was time for a shower there was only 1 towel. For the bedding there was only a couple of blankets and 2 pillows. Now mind you this was a family suite and was suppose to accomodate 2 families. We had 6 people in our party. When we approched the front desk about towels and bedding the employees acted like it was bothering them and were very rude. For coffee in the room they gave you only 2 packets of sugar and creamer and there were 4 adults. When I returned home I had called the main headquarters for Howard Johnsons and I was told that it was privately owned and I had to go through the manager there. I had placed numerous calls to the establishment since my visit and to this day have never received a response. I am now planning another trip to see my sister and planning to visit St. Augustine and believe me I will not be staying at the Howard Johnsons and I would recommend that you do not either.

• Stayed February 2002
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2005

I happened to stay at the Howard Johnson's for about a week and i have NO complaints. It was close to everything. You can walk to the historic district instead of driving. I really enjoyed the courtesy of all the staff, the housekeeper did a very good job in cleaning the rooms, the front desk personnel helped out a lot. When I walked in they was nice and helpful to all of my needs. I know that when I go back to St. Augustine I will always stay at the Howard Johnsons for now on.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
greenville, sc
Reviewed July 22, 2005

My family was reaally grossed out by this hotel. There was human feces in the ice machine!!! We wanted to leave right away but this is one of THOSE motels that charge your charge card in full when you make the reservation and I found out why. Howard Johnson St Augustine is also one of THOSE hotels that claims to be in the historic district but really isn't. It's at least three miles away from anything except maybe the fountain of youth or the oldest oak tree. Stay as close as you can to the lion's bridge because there was very little parking available in the historic district and it would be much better if you could actually walk to all of the resturants and shops in the old district. The hotel room seemed very old and dirty. I was the only member of my family brave enough to try the complementary breakfast and it wasn't bad.

• Stayed July 2005