“Best Value In St Augustine” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL

Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL
Ranked #56 of 79 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Salisbury, North Carolina
“Best Value In St Augustine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

The Oldest City in the Country, 2 Florida Beaches within 15 minutes or less a Pool ,a Jacuzzi, a great location and a great rate! Oh yeah, did I mention, there is a 600 year old tree in the parking lot? A tree that was there when Juan Ponce De Leon discovered Saint Augustine's famed Fountain of Youth. Sounds great right? That's what I tell myself every year I come back as do many others!

Every year while in the pool I talk with people that come year after year from Australia to nearby Jacksonville! Is it a Five Star Hotel ? No? Its a Howard Johnson's! Sure you could pay more than a $100 Dollars or more a night at another Hotel or a stuffy B&B but, why? I would rather spend my money on dining or attraction's. Or the flight.

So.... check out the pictures and the facts about this place maybe I will see you in the pool next summer or before....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jleetw1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

At checkin we were given a room with 2 double beds. I showed the clerk a printout of our reservation (booked through a discounter) that said king or queen bed. He changed us to two queen beds. The free breakfast consisted of stale bagels and bread and weak coffee. USA Today is available in the lobby.
The location is great; you can walk to the Fountain of Youth and the Old Mission. The Old City sights are about a 20 minute walk. The tour trolleys stop at the hotel.
It was extremely hot during our stay. The old A/C was on continuously and never really chilled the room. The A/C didn't reach the bathroom and this became uncomfortable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

This was a basic economy motel close to everything. good value. The staff were very helpful when we couldn't get the room safe to work, they immediately fixed the problem. The motel sits in front of beautiful Magnolia Av-----worth taking a walk. We didn't try the breakfast but it looked pretty good-----cereal, bagels, coffee, juice.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bcart
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

I was a bit nervous after finding these reviews after making my reservation, but decided to give the HoJo a shot anyway. The hotel itself wasn't too bad; I've stayed in better, but I've stayed in worse, too. It's an older hotel, but it has been updated...there are still a few things that need work, but all in all, not a bad stay.

Here's the good:

Location, location, location! Great spot, close to the main attractions (maybe a mile to the fort and 'historical downtown'), and walking distance to the Fountain of Youth and The Old Jail. The Old Senator (600 year old oak tree) is in the parking lot of this hotel, and Magnolia Ave, a gorgeous tree-lined street that leads to the Fountain of Youth, is directly behind the hotel. The trollies stop here, too.

Pool and Jacuzzi were open until 11 pm, and were clean. Except for a few leaves, but that was no big deal.

Painless check-in and check-out - took less than 5 minutes each.

The room was clean; a few stains on the shower floor liner, but that was pretty much it. I wasn't afraid to walk around barefoot. I wouldn't eat off the floors, but hey, I wouldn't do that anywhere!

Comfortable bed, lots of pillows.

Now here's the bad:

The air conditioner was a little bit musty, the room smelled like an armpit for the first few minutes we were in it, but it wasn't bad enough for us to complain or try to get another room. It also went away - or we got used to it - fairly quickly.

The shower floor liner (covering the entire floor of the tub, not just a mat) had water stuck under it, and no way for us to let it out, which made for an interesting, somewhat nauseating shower experience. I felt like I was on a boat.

Here's the nitpicky:

The color of the sheets didn't match anything else in the room. But so what, they were clean.

The TV made a whining noise on a few of the channels.

We stayed in a Jacuzzi suite, the jacuzzi was more in the room than in the bathroom, but that didn't seem like a big deal. It was a little tricky to get the jacuzzi working, you have to mess around with "sensors" rather than just flip a switch, but once on, it was fine.

The shampoo/conditioner toiletries were small...although they gave us mouthwash, too, which was nice, because I always forget to bring it.

Our room was on the corner where the service staff went in and out, so we had to listen to squeaky carts going by the room a couple of times.

You can hear the bell from the trolly when it stops, but they don't run ridiculous hours, so it wasn't that bad.

Again, our stay wasn't bad; I would say the hotel is about average, considering I think it's only rated about a 2-star. If you want flat screen TV's, robes and spa services, go stay at a 4- or 5- star for double or triple the cost. If you just need a basic room to crash in for the weekend, this would probably suit you just fine.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elark0
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

On the way back from a trip from Virginia, we arrived in St Augustine at 11:00 at night. We wanted to stay close to downtown so the Howard Johnson seemed like a safe place to land for the night. When I asked for the price, the clerk told me not to worry, that he would give me a good deal. He said that we were very lucky to get the last rooms (for my friend and I). Without seeing the rooms, we paid for it and headed to a restaurant to get a bite to eat. When we finally got back, we saw that the hallway leading to the rooms was filthy and disgusting. Both doors were facing the very noisy ice machine, as well as the vending machine. The real surprise came when we walked into the first room. Our feet were sticking to the carpet. It was a mismatch of old and dusty furniture, all packed in a tiny little room. The curtain couldn't close completely, which was a real challenge since we were located on the ground floor, with a direct view on the parking lot. The bathroom, was just as good, had a rubber mat hiding the rusty and filthy bathtub. There was a strong mildew smell floating in the air. When I finally laid down to sleep and turned off the light, it was almost as bright as daytime, due to the large gap all around the door. I almost wanted to go sleep in my car. A REAL winner... and I won't even go on about the free continental breakfast. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID at all cost.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank EmmaPearl
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

Room was filthy...floors were sticky and everything reeked of mildew. Bedding was damp andwe could not get the smell out. While in the small breakfast area, we observed one of the cleaning staff using the lid of a garbage can to shove the garbage down. The lid now had food and whatever else on the lid. She did not wipte it off. When you threw away garbage, your hand touched the dirty lid.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dbrowntraveler
Boston MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2009

Enjoyed our stay, the staff was very helpful & freindly, the complimentry breakfast was basic but good. We would definitely stay here again,

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple