“Decent and Basic.”

Ranked #56 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Chicago, IL
“Decent and Basic.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2009

I stayed at this HoJo recently and it was decent and basic.

It's a nice location for getting around- both the Red Train and Old Town trolleys have stops in the courtyard and drive through the lot. The Fountain of Youth park is footsteps away, and it backs up to Magnolia Ave- possibly the most beautiful street in America. It's also a pleasant not-too-long walk to the historic district while not, technically, what I would say as actually BEING in the historic district.

Plus, the old-fashioned set-up makes it so you can park directly in front of your room. No hassle to bring your bags in from the car! But that same set-up makes it so if you want natural light in your room you have to be prepared for your room to be very open to everyone that walks, drives, or trolley rides by.

I was very happy to see the trolleys going by and liked being able to catch snippets of what the guides were saying when in my room during the day. Although, the rooms aren't exactly soundproofed and if you don't like hearing the ring of the trolley bells every twenty minutes, it might be a bit annoying.

While I stayed, it was the coldest week Florida had seen in a while and it was a pleasant surprise to find out that the heating and cooling unit in the room did work excellently and kept the room toasty for when I came back after walking around in the chilled air.

A few issues I did have, though:

1) Very few electrical outlets in the room, especially considering the location was recently renovated. To plug in the wall-mounted hair dryer, I had to unplug the microwave. And if I had wanted to make coffee, I would've then had to decide between unplugging the hair dryer or the mini fridge. I had to unplug the alarm clock to charge my phone while keeping it near the bed. And my laptop had to be plugged in on the other side of the room- thank goodness I brought its cord extender!

2) The wind picked up one day and blew my Do Not Disturb sign away, resulting in housekeeping knocking on my door when I very much wasn't expecting it. The man doing housekeeping that day kindly gave me a new sign that I took to shutting half in the door for the rest of my stay. It'd be nice for there to be signs that held up better against the elements considering it's all outdoor access and very open.

3) I extended my stay at one point, having fallen in love with the city, and almost regretted not just going to a different motel when I was treated somewhat like a burden for wanting to give more money to the establishment. But I was treated very kindly when I did check out, so maybe it was just an off night. I almost didn't want to mention it.

4) The internet router and mess of wires in the upper corner of the room was a bit bizarre. Is that the best placement they could get?

The room was pretty clean, though. Some odd blue marks in the tub but nothing frightening, mind you. The double locks on the door made me feel very safe while staying alone. And it was a perfect set up for just wanting to keep to myself and wander the St. Augustine for a few days.

• Liked — Being right near Magnolia Avenue
  • Disliked — Not what I expected for being "newly renovated".
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank duchessdogberry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Galax VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

Spent one night at HOJO St. Augustine 01/16/09. The hotel is an older style Motor Court from the 50's that has been upgraded. The room with two queens was clean and pretty basic. Had a coffee maker and fridge. Nothing special, but we just wanted a clean place for the night. One advantage to the location is that it is one of the stops for the Oldtowne Trolley Tour and some other trolleys. We purchased our tickets at the hotel office for the tours. (Highly recommend the Oldtown Trolley because you can get on and off and they have regular stops. Also excellent tourguide/drivers).

We were not at all impressed by their Continental Breakfast, so we went elsewhere. All in all, would stay there again because elegant and plush lodging is not important to me or my family. We prefer to spend our travel money on sightseeing and meals and HOJO St. Augs. fit our bill perfectly.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — A bit rough around the edges wth maintenance.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank galaxrex
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

This hotel is in a pretty good location although a bit of a walk to get back to the centre. The room was quite dark and the first bed I intended on sleeping in had dirty sheets. But I was on my own so I used the other bed. All the appliences were very old and stained so I decided to eat out. There must be better hotels in the area?

• Liked — The layout of the hotel
  • Disliked — The dark and dingy rooms
  • Stayed September 2008
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

On our summer vacation, our family of four stayed at this HOJO for a week. The hotel staff is very friendly, the manager was very helpful in guiding us in selecting sightseeing places as well as giving us coupons and arranging for the trolly tour.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. Our room was recently renovated with what seemed to be new furniture, including new bed. The manager told us that all the rooms have been recently renovated.

The motel has historic ambiance with one of the sightseeing attractions right in it's courtyard. It is called the "Old Senator", it's one of the oldest trees in the country. Also, both sightseeing trolley tours can pick you up right under the tree, because it is one of the stops.

The Fountain of Youth is also right behind the motel as is the "jail".

The room price also includes free continental breakfast, which is great for the price of the room.

Overall, it was an excellent value. We will definately consider coming back here again next year.

• Liked — Very friendly and helpful staff and exceptional value
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
st augustine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

when I went to hotel. we have very good experiance with frountdesk , room was very clean and everything brandnew
in the room , very good location,

• Liked — room and location
  • Disliked — hot weather
  • Stayed September 2008
mars
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

When I got home from my stay I received a letter that said I stole some towels.I didn't. They charged the towels to the card I used.
$33 dollars. I already spent $168.80 on two nights in a very used hotel room and then they stole money from me. I could go on, but instead I'll say this...There are many hotels in beautiful
St. Augustine,
don't waste your money or your vacation in a poorly run, dirty hotel such as this Howard Johnson.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — stains
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
hojoManager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL, responded to this review, September 10, 2008
As per hotel policy, all the rooms are inspected before guest checks in and after guest checks out. The hotel is completly renovated in 2008
Edgewater, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2008

My best friend chose this hotel for her guests to stay at on her wedding night. It was only for the price. Man oh man.
This is what was wrong with our room.
1) Our sheets were smelly
2) Our toilet had toilet paper still in it
3) Our coffee maker had MOLD in it. ewwww.
4) We only had 2 towels, and they were the small ones!!
5) It smelled. Pretty bad.
It seems like this hotel never renovated after some hurricanes or something. The only good thing was that the staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was pretty simple.
Also we stayed up and drank in the courtyard, which is really cute! There's chairs and such. No one bothered us. There's a liquor store next store, that's also a plus. If you are a really young couple looking for a really cheap room and are just bar hopping, this might be for you.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple