“Don't reserve a room here.”

Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL
Ranked #59 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Orlando, Florida
“Don't reserve a room here.”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had a 2 day stay paid for and got unexpected military orders so I was unable to make the dates. Expedia was willing to give me a refund or switch the dates, but after calling this Howard Johnson, the request was denied. Though it was understood that I could fax/send a copy of my orders and simply wanted to change the dates, the hotel blatantly refused. Thanks for nothing, and great to know you support your troops.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hojo_Manager1235, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest:
We are so sorry for the unfortunate experience you had with your reservation. Our team is held to very high standards of integrity and never want to be anything less than helpful. Your comments are being taken very seriously and in order to better assist you, we would love the opportunity to speak with you. It seems as if there might have been miscommunication between Expedia and the hotel staff. Please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Review of Howard Johnson St Augustine

Stayed here in November 2013 as a solo traveller for 3 nights. Check in was very fast and staff quite friendly. Lots of great parking here. The morning breakfast was simple but good. Easy access and the tourist tram stops directly in the parking lot, very convenient. Walking distance to old town of St.Augustine about 10 minute walk. Nice liquor store on property. Lots of good place to eat in walking distance. Very quiet and safe property.
I have to admit some problems. Yes its good budget property. My room by pool was smelly. after 1 day. And there were these small red ants crawling all over the place here.
I would stay here again. Good place for budget minded but needs some work though.

Room Tip: Good place to park and the tourist tram goes right here
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
florida
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were there for two nights and wishing I was home.
What a dump. This place should be condemned.Even though the location was good
it was utterly discusting place. Beds uncomfortable, dingy, paper on the bathroom window, rust on the handles in the bathroom. A/C very noisy. STAY HOME!

Room Tip: Better to stay home...you might find bedbugs. Totally gross!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hojo_Manager1235, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your coming to stay at our hotel and apologize that we did not live up to your standards. We do everything we can to ensure a quality stay for all our guests, and take great pride in our service and accommodations. Therefore, we are investing a great deal of time and money in remodelling our property. We are continuing that effort and look forward to seeing you again.
Thanks again for coming!

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Naples, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I'll admit after reading the reviews I was a bit concerned with my reservation. Before checking in I asked to see my room and although not the Ritz it had everything I would need for a 3 night stay. I checked the bed for bedbugs and soiled linens, the water for discoloration and odor, and the towels for cleanliness...all based on prior reviews, Happily my room was free of any of the before mentioned. The staff was friendly, pleasant and very helpful with questions about the town. I really liked that they sold the trolley tickets at the hotel and one of the trolley stops was just a few feet from the hotel's office. The free breakfast offered was basic but good, and the coffee was always hot and ready at 6AM. The only negative was the carpeting in the room. It is old and worn and although it does not have an odor we did wear socks or flip-flops to keep our feet clean. A very special thank you to Tracy at the front desk for her help and tourist tips! I'll stay here again :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family